Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, it's just amazing how much animosity and pure hatred they have for Toyota. Just reading posts on websites like GMI, Cheers & Gears and others you lose track at all the posts that say stuff like "Camry's are so boring" or "Don't support the Japanese terrorists that is Toyota" and this one is my favorite "Buy American and support OUR economy...Toyota is an evil organization hell bent on world domination" :lol:. Even some of their normal members get tired of the crap some of them spew out. And for the most part, Honda and Nissan in particular fare a lot better with the bashing and get less hate or even a little bit of respect. So it's something about Toyota....

Why are they like that? My theories are as that it's a mix of jealousy, ignorance, bias, racism (only with some very extreme members that usually get banned), or a mix of them all. Now I don't really give a rat's ass if someone doesn't like something I do and wouldn't force them to do so. But I think a lot of jealousy gets directed toward Toyota in particular because they're the big dog that's really cleaning the big 3's clocks. You don't have to read too many posts on GMI in order to find someone that truly believes that Toyota is the reason for all of GM's woes today and that GM is a fun-loving car company that builds cars for enthusiasts and not for profit and that Toyota is an evil company sent by Japan to destroy the United States. A lot of it has to do most likely because they don't like the cars that Toyota sells such as the Camry or the Prius, and indeed, whenever their's a car review on a Toyota they'll out of nowhere just give some knee-jerk response about their hatred and contribute nothing.

Now I'm not saying that everyone on TN is perfect. I myself have had a my fair share of "damnit i hate the big 3" talk and all that, but a lot of those posts are usually my way of fighting fire with fire against posts on those other sites and also directed at the Big 3 company's and their horrible management decisions and utter in competence rather that some of their products themselves (This applies mostly to GM. Ford I applaud for actually coming out with some nice cars and not needing a bailout. IMO Chrysler is pure garbage in everyway conceivable). If you recall, we do have a GM vehicle in my immediate family, and while it hasn't been all that troublesome, for what it was worth new and what it's worth now, it's a complete joke.

Don't get me wrong there are some that can constructively say why they don't like Toyota and these are the ones that have the most valid reasons, such as they've had a bad experience with one in the past or that their product line just doesn't appeal to them. That's perfectly fine, everyone is different after all. It's just the ones that say stuff that just frustrates you or is so ignorant it's hilarious.

So why do you think Toyota is hated by domestic car fans? There's my rant. I'm done. :thanks:

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got quite a bit of that when I got the Taco. I was (and still am) active on a GM 4x4 site that I have been a part of for like 6 years now. There are some real diehards who got all bent out of shape that I got an "import", and then their next post is elsewhere on the site bitching about how much their truck sucks and is falling apart. I went through too many issues like that with 2 POS GM products and will never go back. But for some reason there are people stupid enough to buy a Chevy because thats what daddy always had or some shit like that. At least back in the 60s and 70s GM trucks were good. Now there is no reason to own one IMO, unless you have too much money and like blowing it on premature repairs.

·
kor-ro-ra?
97 Corolla 1.8L 5spd
3,287 Posts
I didn't read any of what you wrote.

But alot of toyota fans hate domestics in return.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
To say GM is a company geared for enthusiasts is a bit silly, a large array of their cars are made for the mainstream particularly the SUVs. To be fair my initial image of GM was not positive until I drove their good cars, if all I drove was Montanas and Trailblazers I'd think GM would be an awful company. I accept that their are good cars within GM but there are still some which are either outdated or bad. I particularly don't like the GM Daewoo products...the Aveo is terrible(I particularly hate its vibrating wheel), I don't understand why GM doesn't develop a smaller Cobalt since that's certain to be better.

When it comes to criticizing Japanese companies...I guess I am harsher with Toyota but mostly because I believe they should be better probably because they have been better in the past. If Honda screws up...I don't really care and in my mind they sort of did by discontinuing the S2000, the moment the S2000 dies is the moment I don't want any new Honda. I do have a bit of Japanese car bias yet I'm actually pleasantly surprised when I get a GM or Ford that is actually competitive. I'm actually looking forward to the Ford Fiesta, I heard the European one drive nicely.

I'm probably harshest on Chrysler but that's because they make horrid cars, nearly all of them are bad. If anybody tries to argue otherwise just say Sebring/Avenger, there is no car on the market today that is worse than that awful pair at literally everything.

·
Toyota Technocraft
1984 AE86
163 Posts
I own two cars from two companies that are hell bent on killing eachother. I love my yota, and I love my Impala. I respect both companies and their heritage. And some of my friends on the impala forum lost respect in me cause i love my corolla. But cant we all just get along????

·
straight cash homie
20,799 Posts
Perhaps cultural?

Definitely agree that the more successful you are, the more enemies you'll have. The fact that the Big 3 have struggled because of import competition won't win many domestic fans' hearts.

I do have to shed some light that some of this has to do with racism: If it's foreign, it's different and not good. Things that were and are "Japanese" definitely fall into the "foreign" category. Besides automobiles, other things about the "Asian" culture are vastly different from the "WASP" mentality. During the time that the Japanese struggled to make better vehicles, attitudes were very negative towards Japanese, as WWII was on the minds of many Americans during the time.

If many remember, there was a Chinese guy in Detroit who was murdered for the wrong reasons by two laid off autoworkers: He was mistaken for being Japanese (To those workers, they couldn't tell the difference), and thus became a scapegoat because the Japanese were building better made vehicles than Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Chin

I'll be honest, when I've gone to a Toyota or other import meet, it's predominantly Asian, though I live in an area heavily populated by them (I'm one of them). I do like it when people of other cultures come, but you have to admit that most Toyota drivers do tend to be Asian. If you've ever driven through an Asian enclave, you'll see lots of Japanese cars and few domestic vehicles. I find this to be cultural as well, as you won't find many imports in places like Detroit or the Midwest.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
84Cressida: You and I have not always seen eye to eye, but this is one of most sensible posts you have ever made.

You don't have to read too many posts on GMI in order to find someone that truly believes that Toyota is the reason for all of GM's woes today and that GM is a fun-loving car company that builds cars for enthusiasts and not for profit and that Toyota is an evil company sent by Japan to destroy the United States. A lot of it has to do most likely because they don't like the cars that Toyota sells such as the Camry or the Prius, and indeed, whenever their's a car review on a Toyota they'll out of nowhere just give some knee-jerk response about their hatred and contribute nothing.

:werd:

GMI has some real winners. I'm a member over there (Autoforums owns this site and that one, I still like this thread : http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f59/welcome-all-our-toyota-nation-brothers-sisters-62876/ Jealousy at its finest).

Like most automotive sites a few bad apples ruin the site. Its generally some teen age punk loser driving mommys Aveo or daddys Silverado that runs his or her mouth while totally oblivious to any facts that starts it. Then the toothless hillbilly strumming his banjo jumps in and its all down hill from there.

But GMI does have some info, you just have to weed through the BS.

As for why domestic fans hate Toyota, is literally they blame Toyota for the downfall of GM. I mean GM is perfect, someone or something had to undermine them right :lol:.

But that being said I had no real problems with any GM product I have ever owned, the curent Tundra on the other hand........

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
I'll be honest, when I've gone to a Toyota or other import meet, it's predominantly Asian, though I live in an area heavily populated by them (I'm one of them). I do like it when people of other cultures come, but you have to admit that most Toyota drivers do tend to be Asian. If you've ever driven through an Asian enclave, you'll see lots of Japanese cars and few domestic vehicles. I find this to be cultural as well, as you won't find many imports in places like Detroit or the Midwest.
I don't think its so much its just because Toyota is Asian but rather most Japanese cars were more consistently reliable(you expect some lemons since nothing is perfect), they retain their value, they're treated well by the service staff and lastly from what I've heard at least in my area(basically Neo Hong Kong) they save money in the long run. I'm Chinese and my dad has owned American cars before its just his lousy experience with his first brand new car(a Pontiac Phoenix) that soured him on American cars forever. Brand Loyalty is actually strong here, GM use to have some but lost a lot of it and Mercedes(extremely highly regarded in Asia) messed up badly with the terrible M-class. Word of mouth ruined these two in this area.

As a result in my area the most common cars are the Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla and lately Mazda3. The majority of the Cobalt/G5s in the area are rentals...infact the SS version seems to be the most common of the privately owned Cobalts. The only vehicles the domestics have a decent following in an Asian dominated area are the minivans since the Sienna and Odyssey are expensive while the Montana and Caravan are cheap.

Within my family so far the Japanese cars have been dependable. I wouldn't be driving a Cressida today if it didn't last long enough for me to acquire it(afterall how many keep at car for 17 years? Its been in the family longer than I have). Nobody I know in my family went back to American cars after getting their first Japanese/European brand car. I talk to a lot our customers many of whom are not asian and this seems to also be a trend where they've been impressed by the ownership of their Japanese brand car moreso than their American one. Some good news for GM from on this front is that Buick customers seem to be extremely brand loyal though to the point they don't want even any other GM(no idea what they'll do if GM kills off the brand).

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I didn't read any of what you wrote.

But alot of toyota fans hate domestics in return.
Yeah... personally, I think there is nothing I have personally wrong with domestics, but prior experiences says they are made like cheap crap and by all accounts, a number still are. That said, I live in a rural areas and Toyotas are hugely popular here. But if you want extremism, you should local rednecks go at it in GM/Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge/Mopar debates. Holy crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah... personally, I think there is nothing I have personally wrong with domestics, but prior experiences says they are made like cheap crap and by all accounts, a number still are. That said, I live in a rural areas and Toyotas are hugely popular here. But if you want extremism, you should local rednecks go at it in GM/Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge/Mopar debates. Holy crap.
Lol at the redneck domestic debate. Me and my friends are like that with older vehicles from the early 80's back. We'll bicker back and forth over witch one built the better vehicle back in the day. We may get into an arguing match over it but it's all in good fun and just giving the other person shit.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
84Cressida: You and I have not always seen eye to eye, but this is one of most sensible posts you have ever made.

You don't have to read too many posts on GMI in order to find someone that truly believes that Toyota is the reason for all of GM's woes today and that GM is a fun-loving car company that builds cars for enthusiasts and not for profit and that Toyota is an evil company sent by Japan to destroy the United States. A lot of it has to do most likely because they don't like the cars that Toyota sells such as the Camry or the Prius, and indeed, whenever their's a car review on a Toyota they'll out of nowhere just give some knee-jerk response about their hatred and contribute nothing.

:werd:

GMI has some real winners. I'm a member over there (Autoforums owns this site and that one, I still like this thread : http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f59/welcome-all-our-toyota-nation-brothers-sisters-62876/ Jealousy at its finest).

Like most automotive sites a few bad apples ruin the site. Its generally some teen age punk loser driving mommys Aveo or daddys Silverado that runs his or her mouth while totally oblivious to any facts that starts it. Then the toothless hillbilly strumming his banjo jumps in and its all down hill from there.

But GMI does have some info, you just have to weed through the BS.

As for why domestic fans hate Toyota, is literally they blame Toyota for the downfall of GM. I mean GM is perfect, someone or something had to undermine them right :lol:.

But that being said I had no real problems with any GM product I have ever owned, the curent Tundra on the other hand........
Reading that exact thread had everything I pointed out in the first post. Amazing. I remember after Hurricane Katrina all the car companies donated money and Toyota donated the most IIRC and they all went nuts over it and were saying stuff like "Toyota is doing it to look good" or "they're just trying to out do GM" or the "media will make them look even better". The media...they seriously believe the media has some sort of conspiracy against GM. It's absolute nonsense.

·
Banned
0 Posts
... But for some reason there are people stupid enough to buy a Chevy because thats what daddy always had or some shit like that. At least back in the 60s and 70s GM trucks were good. Now there is no reason to own one IMO, unless you have too much money and like blowing it on premature repairs.
Funny, I am now on my 3rd GM truck since 1990 and although they have not been perfect, they have been damned close (NO major issues and very few minor ones). ;)

This kind of bullshit negative bias toward GM is part of the reasoning behind the topic of this thread.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's no bias pal. I hate GM from personal experience. My 98 Jimmy was a front end part eating whore, along with leaky oil lines for the remote filter (stupid design to begin with). My 2003 Silverado was even worse-here's the list of shit I can remember from the Silverado, from 32k-90k:
Headlamp switch illumination burnt out
Heater control illumination burnt out
rearmost -joint wore out somewhere between 40-50k, early IMO.
front axle seals, once at 45k, again at 90k.
evap. solenoid failed cause it was installed in a stupid location that allowed dirt to get in and kill it. Relocation kit was like $200.
Rear brake pads failed prematurely because poor design allowed inner passenger pad to be exposed to dirt/road debris and wear it to nothing when the other 3 pads had a good 50% left. GM came out with a mud-flap looking patch for this, but since it was out of warranty it was not to be covered, even though it was a design flaw.
Steering shaft clunked over bumps, common issue among many 99-07 fullsizes, GM released a string of useless TSBs to lessen the severity of the issue but finally redesigned the shaft, again a cash repair that was a flaw in design.
Bad front wheel bearing.
Typical shitty GM interior rattles.
Passenger window regulator failed. Manual window, no ice to damage anything. Just went to roll it down one morning to clear the dew off and it never went up again.
Previous owner had 3 gauge clusters replaced and fought with the steering shaft issue.
Tailgate cables were faulty, which GM finally did recall, but they took their sweet time on that.
Power steering pump had a slow leak from 50k+
A/C never cooled when stopped at a light/in traffic.
Seat track sensor for airbags failed randomly. Nothing was ever stored under the pass. seat to damage it, but that was another $300+ repair.
That's all I can remember. If you really care I think I still have the paperwork and could probably find a few things I forgot. The truck was a pile of shit despite my anal attention to maintenance.

GM vehicle quality is absolute shit, every now and then they get lucky and turn out a non-pile of shit.

·
Banned
0 Posts
It's no bias pal. I hate GM from personal experience. My 98 Jimmy was a front end part eating whore, along with leaky oil lines for the remote filter (stupid design to begin with). My 2003 Silverado was even worse-here's the list of shit I can remember from the Silverado, from 32k-90k:
Headlamp switch illumination burnt out
Heater control illumination burnt out
rearmost -joint wore out somewhere between 40-50k, early IMO.
front axle seals, once at 45k, again at 90k.
evap. solenoid failed cause it was installed in a stupid location that allowed dirt to get in and kill it. Relocation kit was like $200.
Rear brake pads failed prematurely because poor design allowed inner passenger pad to be exposed to dirt/road debris and wear it to nothing when the other 3 pads had a good 50% left. GM came out with a mud-flap looking patch for this, but since it was out of warranty it was not to be covered, even though it was a design flaw.
Steering shaft clunked over bumps, common issue among many 99-07 fullsizes, GM released a string of useless TSBs to lessen the severity of the issue but finally redesigned the shaft, again a cash repair that was a flaw in design.
Bad front wheel bearing.
Typical shitty GM interior rattles.
Passenger window regulator failed. Manual window, no ice to damage anything. Just went to roll it down one morning to clear the dew off and it never went up again.
Previous owner had 3 gauge clusters replaced and fought with the steering shaft issue.
Tailgate cables were faulty, which GM finally did recall, but they took their sweet time on that.
Power steering pump had a slow leak from 50k+
A/C never cooled when stopped at a light/in traffic.
Seat track sensor for airbags failed randomly. Nothing was ever stored under the pass. seat to damage it, but that was another $300+ repair.
That's all I can remember. If you really care I think I still have the paperwork and could probably find a few things I forgot. The truck was a pile of shit despite my anal attention to maintenance.

GM vehicle quality is absolute shit, every now and then they get lucky and turn out a non-pile of shit.
I understand you not liking GM due to bad personal experience, but to generalize them as ALL being crap based on 2 experiences is simply ignorant. Based on that logic, then I could say that ALL GM trucks are awesome because my 3 were/are. In fact (and I don't actually believe this) I could say ALL GM vehicles are awesome because in my 26 years of owning/driving them, they have never let me down, never left me stranded and have always been reliable with ZERO major issues. But I realize that EVERY mfr makes good vehicles and every mfr makes some bad ones. So, if GM quality is "absolute shit" and they only make a few good ones from sheer luck, then maybe I should be buying more lottery tickets huh? ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I stand by my stance on GM, as to me they have not improved their build quality since I had the Silverado. I travel for work frequently and have had tons of GM cars and SUVs as rentals, never with more than 30k on the clock, and many times, under 10k on the odometer. It seemed like every one had a squeaky interior, or some sort of suspension clunk over bumps. The worst was with the G6 which I've had several times, you can hear the fuel slosh in the tank, and on one the foglamp button fell inside the dash when I pressed it :lol:

Now these being rental cars, god knows what they've been through, but most mis-treatment won't cause the interior squeaks and rattles that I'd associate with any GM product from the 90s onward.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Funny, I thought the same thing about the Toyota Highlander I rented while on business for a week last year. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Funny, I thought the same thing about the Toyota Highlander I rented while on business for a week last year. :rolleyes:
Interior squeaks and rattles have been a common complaint with the newly designed 08 Highlanders, and mine has a couple squeaks itself. Taking it off-road, the suspension does bump as well. But overall, when considering the phenomenal mileage, quiet interior, and all around versatility I'd buy the Highlander again. Just 2 cents from an owner.

:cool:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Interior squeaks and rattles have been a common complaint with the newly designed 08 Highlanders, and mine has a couple squeaks itself. Taking it off-road, the suspension does bump as well. But overall, when considering the phenomenal mileage, quiet interior, and all around versatility I'd buy the Highlander again. Just 2 cents from an owner.

:cool:
Actually, the trip was in June of 07 and I am pretty sure it was an 06. I would certainly not judge the Highlander based off the rental of one individual unit, but that thing was no better than the Trailblazer I had a couple years ago, and trust me, that aint sayin much. That TB was a POS (base model rental that was obviously beat to shit). I have rented my share of vehicles as I travel alot and I have had equal numbers of good and crappy cars from all makes. IMO it's a crapshoot nowadays and generally speaking, one isn't "built better" than it's competition's counterpart. They all use the same technologies in modern auto mfg.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts