Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two sets of MB quart refence series 4" components, the one that mount coaxially, and I noticed that the left channel sounded like sh*t. (I have them running off a phoenix gold ti400, with 100 watts rms per side, 50 watts per speaker). I tested the amp outputs with a spare speaker and it sounded fine so I swapped the left and right connections an sure enough both speakers had thier woofers blown (no sound at all) I intended to put the good speakers into my rear doors so I could at least have stereo sound until I replaced the front speaker wit hsomething a little bigger and low and behold, the left rear woofer is blown too. I know I can't have the one remaining speaker playing by itself, because 100 watts will probobly blow that one too. What the hell is going on here. everything was professionally installed, but I don't think that this is normal. what should I do?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Gains can be set improperly, could be out of phase, you could have your crossover setting too low...have you check any of these?

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the crossovers are the MB Quart passives that came with the speakers, they aren't adjustable, so that rules them out. the speakers are running on a two channel amp, so how could phase difference occur between the two on the same side? the gains on the amp are set fairly low, maybe at around 40% I don't know much about gain, but I doubt that this setting is what is causing the problem, or could it? is it possible that my amp is doing this?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
the passive crossover is to split the two speaker, but you still need to high pass the mid from your HU or amp, my suggestion is at 250Hz since they are 4" that is why they are sounding bad. You need to set your gains with a multi meter and test tone disc.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish they were sounding bad, they aren't sounding at all now. Does the PG ti400 have a function to accomplish this, ie a tunable gain or high pass?
ps for my edification, high pass is the point below which is cut off and low pass is the point abaove which is cut off?
a speaker that has both is in bandpass?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
correct, do you have the manual for your amp, what about your HU what are you running.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I can dig up the manual for my amp, not certain though. the HU is a clarion DRX9575z

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I believe the hu has a built in crossover, you need to fix the crossover settings but it sounds like its too late.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
have you ever heard of Phoenix gold amps frying speakers? I took my car to three car audio places today and they each told me that it had to be the amp, everything on the amp was set conservativly, most likely underpowering the speakers and the crossovers were all fine and functioning. one guy at sound advice told me he'd heard of Phoenix Gold amps sending voltage to speakers and just destroying them. I've never heard anything like that, but.....???:dunno: :help:

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
they're full of $hit, they dont know how to fix it, what is the crossover setting on your hu, you need to start there first.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know how to check the crossover setting on the HU. I typically just use the eq and fine tune from there depending on the type of music. any suggestions, if not i'll just dig up the manual

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
READ YOUR MANUAL...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did you try playing the speakers through the stock hookups to see if they will play? If they do play it might something wrong with the rca jacks or connection from the eq. If the eq isn't any good it mator send out a weak or no signal. Is your eq a din eq? It might not be grounded. You gotta check it and see. I have a feeling it might range from the head of setup.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually have a dhz7000, it's the "brain" of the clarion line and it interfaces through CeNet with my HU, I am pretty sure that it is not the HU that's the problem. While the HU is pre amp only, thus making it impossible to check it completely alone, I hooked up an old crunch amp and tested the speakers and the amp/HU with some other speakers. everything worked except the speakers, leading once again to the speakers being whack (unlikely) or the amp frying them (also unlikely) I dunno, very confusing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts