Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Camry. These days, the red signal of "brake" on dashboard isometimes (not always) turns on even when the hand brake is positioned in normal state. It seems to be more often when I drive down the road. I'm not sure but I guess the signal is only for the hand brake. I don't know what to do with it. Do I need to fix something about brake? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance...

·
Old user who never posts
98 toyota camry
39 Posts
You just have low brake fluid add more and it will go away. The brake light comes on for both the e-brake and if you have low fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much BM2KTom! I have more questions. Do you know what kind of brake fluid should be used? I check the internet and found out DOT3 or DOT4 could be used. I don't know which is better. Btw, please teach me if there's something I should know when I add the fluid. Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The recommended fluid is printed on the filler cap. In theory the higher the #, the better the fluid. Not much to know, fill it up to the fill line.

It is a closed system and you shouldn't lose fluid. Check for leaks and keep an eye on the level, if no signs are found.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
dot 4 and 3 are compatible with each other. just don't put in dot5

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,752 Posts
When cars get near the end of the brake pad life, there is more fluid down in the system (and less in the resirvior) so a little top-off of the brake fluid can be necessary. If the brake fluid isn't low, you might have a sticky parking brake switch (it happened in my dad's '99 4Runner).

-Charlie

·
Registered
17 Posts
white90dx said:
When cars get near the end of the brake pad life, there is more fluid down in the system (and less in the resirvior) so a little top-off of the brake fluid can be necessary. If the brake fluid isn't low, you might have a sticky parking brake switch (it happened in my dad's '99 4Runner).

-Charlie

Good points here.

Brake fluid doesnt just get low if thats the case. Its time to check the brake system for worn or leaking components. If the brake fluid is fine check the PBS, opps that where the spilt drink went. :eek:

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
SSC said:
Good points here.

Brake fluid doesnt just get low if thats the case. Its time to check the brake system for worn or leaking components. If the brake fluid is fine check the PBS, opps that where the spilt drink went. :eek:

Can you be a little clearer on that because I might have a leak somewhere in my car and I want to know where to look.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Dot 3 Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 (sometimes labeled Dot4+) are all compatible and can mix just fine.
Dot 5 should NOT be mixed with anything else(it is silicone based isntad of petrolium based)

Dot 5 is widely regarded to eat away all of the fittings & seals of normal fluid. However there is a minority arguement that if the system is 100% flushed of petrolium fluid it might not eat the fittings. Who knows until someone actually does it!

If your brakes fade after pad and rotor upgrades, and you can afford it, use dot 4+ or dot 5.1. If they still fade, you simply need larger, stronger calipers with larger pads and rotors with more mass.

Gridlyne START by making sure the bleeds are all tight and not leaking!!!
2-Look all around the master cylinder and the vacuum assist for fluid. One of the oldest shop tricks in the world is to take a flat-blade screwdrive between the seal and give it a tap creatin a leak that MUST be fixed!
3-checking the ends of all the rubber hoses and fittings at the calipers, on rubber brake lines at the master cylinder, under the car at the front/rear split fittings (front right and rear left share a line and vice versa)

Maybe you just blead the brakes and didn't add enough fluid to it!

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Interesting...mines got a seperate light for Park Brake and Brakes.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Toysrme said:
Dot 3 Dot 4 and Dot 5.1 (sometimes labeled Dot4+) are all compatible and can mix just fine.
Dot 5 should NOT be mixed with anything else(it is silicone based isntad of petrolium based)

Dot 5 is widely regarded to eat away all of the fittings & seals of normal fluid. However there is a minority arguement that if the system is 100% flushed of petrolium fluid it might not eat the fittings. Who knows until someone actually does it!

If your brakes fade after pad and rotor upgrades, and you can afford it, use dot 4+ or dot 5.1. If they still fade, you simply need larger, stronger calipers with larger pads and rotors with more mass.

Gridlyne START by making sure the bleeds are all tight and not leaking!!!
2-Look all around the master cylinder and the vacuum assist for fluid. One of the oldest shop tricks in the world is to take a flat-blade screwdrive between the seal and give it a tap creatin a leak that MUST be fixed!
3-checking the ends of all the rubber hoses and fittings at the calipers, on rubber brake lines at the master cylinder, under the car at the front/rear split fittings (front right and rear left share a line and vice versa)

Maybe you just blead the brakes and didn't add enough fluid to it!
Alright, thanks Toys, Im gonna do that as soon as we get a decent day here. Its been raining and windy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts