Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this video on YouTube and even though he's driving a fantastic 911 GT3 what he describes is so true about driving a MT car compared to any AT/CVT so I thought it would be fun to share. When he describes the way you become part of the driving experience is so accurate. This is why I love taking road trips and driving back roads all over the US and Canada. Hope to run into some of you on the back roads!!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was expecting a lot of comments about this fun video. I guess that there are few people that know how to drive a MT car and can relate to the video. I thought that he hit the nail on the head when it comes to enjoying a MT car. Does nobody else love the sheer act of being a part of the experience instead of just being along for the ride? I know that I love thrashing 2 lane back roads while heal/toeing and being in that favorite 2-3 shift when hauling ass through the curves. For those of you that don't know how to drive a MT you need to learn and experience the thrill a difference it can make, even if you still have an AT/CVT for your daily drive to work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I liked when I had a manual but dont mind thrashing the automatic tranny... Its why I prefer toyotas I dont have the fear it will break down for a bit of abuse :D

btw... I think there isnt any rev limiter or fuel cut off at red line, mine can go up close to 7k rpm I havent tried more...:p the redline is not where it stops at least.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
1,002 Posts
I learn on a French manual Renault 4, the most odd stick that you can ever see, I always had manual cars in South America even my BMW E32 (7 series), that car saved my life and I had a more BMWs because of that; here in the US is difficult to get them, I had a Mercedes 190D bought it to a German consul, the car had kilometers on the tachometer and stick, beautiful car I still bang myself in the head for let it go, I had a Mitsubishi Montero Sport manual, a Porsche 911 and my daughter drives a Jetta manual, she's 21 and all her friends are impressed that she can wiggle the third pedal and the shifting.

No better feeling that the manual, I would never argue the technology of the PDK on the new Porsches or how automatic and paddle shifting make the newer cars more responsive and fast, like my Raptor 10 speed transmission and a 450 HP stock is a beast to drive, paddle shifters are fun but will never feel like the clutch and gear changing, well I believe I'm old :unsure:

RENAULT 4

MANUAL.jpg

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I liked when I had a manual but dont mind thrashing the automatic tranny... Its why I prefer toyotas I dont have the fear it will break down for a bit of abuse :D

btw... I think there isnt any rev limiter or fuel cut off at red line, mine can go up close to 7k rpm I havent tried more...:p the redline is not where it stops at least.
I just feel so disconnected from the car when I drive an AT. It's funny how different my driving style is with different cars. When I drive my 2017 RAV4 or my wife's 2010 Prius I'm pretty relaxed and not aggressive in any way as I don't feel the connection with the driving experience without a clutch. I understand the use of an AT for those days back in forth in traffic but man they are boring to drive in comparison. My 1989 Supercharged MR2 5MT and 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT are a blast to drive and the joy of shifting and controlling the car runs deep with me. I just loved how the video explained the passion like I've always felt but could never put it into words. Even driving my 2006 Scion xB 5MT is a blast driving full out and getting everything from that engine with every shift. :p

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I learn on a French manual Renault 4, the most odd stick that you can ever see, I always had manual cars in South America even my BMW E32 (7 series), that car saved my life and I had a more BMWs because of that; here in the US is difficult to get them, I had a Mercedes 190D bought it to a German consul, the car had kilometers on the tachometer and stick, beautiful car I still bang myself in the head for let it go, I had a Mitsubishi Montero Sport manual, a Porsche 911 and my daughter drives a Jetta manual, she's 21 and all her friends are impressed that she can wiggle the third pedal and the shifting.

No better feeling that the manual, I would never argue the technology of the PDK on the new Porsches or how automatic and paddle shifting make the newer cars more responsive and fast, like my Raptor 10 speed transmission and a 450 HP stock is a beast to drive, paddle shifters are fun but will never feel like the clutch and gear changing, well I believe I'm old :unsure:

RENAULT 4

View attachment 304271
I learned on my dad's 1974 Triumph TR6. That clutch was so stiff that my left leg grew 2 sizes from pushing it in all the time. :ROFLMAO: Still, nothing as satisfying as a good 2nd gear pull to redline and power shifting into 3rd gear. Something that can never be enjoyed with other transmissions.

I understand that PDKs are awesome and faster but they still missing the "it" factor that a MT provides. If I was racing the car then it would matter, but most of us aren't racing so the MT adds much more satisfaction to the driving experience.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I actually liked the video. I think he hit it right on with how you feel more involved and connected with the car when driving manual.

Having a manual was one of the requirements I had in buying my Corolla. Now I have a manual car that I don’t have to worry about being unreliable or having to baby so that it lasts longer.

To me, driving a manual means having all my limbs do something just like what the presenter said in the video. There’s some symmetry involved in both legs working together as well as both arms. It’s like riding a bicycle. I miss this feeling when I drive my wife’s Golf automatic that I actually left foot brake once in a while.

This video has given me some hope that manuals may still have some life left. I just don’t know how long it will be offered in non-luxury cars and trucks as it seems like there are less buyers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually liked the video. I think he hit it right on with how you feel more involved and connected with the car when driving manual.

Having a manual was one of the requirements I had in buying my Corolla. Now I have a manual car that I don’t have to worry about being unreliable or having to baby so that it lasts longer.

To me, driving a manual means having all my limbs do something just like what the presenter said in the video. There’s some symmetry involved in both legs working together as well as both arms. It’s like riding a bicycle. I miss this feeling when I drive my wife’s Golf automatic that I actually left foot brake once in a while.

This video has given me some hope that manuals may still have some life left. I just don’t know how long it will be offered in non-luxury cars and trucks as it seems like there are less buyers out there.

For sure, I love using every limb as you pointed out! I'm really hoping that the GR Corolla arrives here with the 6MT to enjoy in my future years.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
1,002 Posts
II just don’t know how long it will be offered in non-luxury cars and trucks as it seems like there are less buyers out there.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the only manual truck now is the Tacoma, I looked for that option before buying the Raptor I was between the TRD tacoma and the Raptor

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct me if I’m wrong but the only manual truck now is the Tacoma, I looked for that option before buying the Raptor I was between the TRD tacoma and the Raptor
I know that the Tacoma can be had with a MT, not sure about other trucks.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,323 Posts
I've always wanted to own a manual car but I didn't know how to drive one. Plus, no one in my family has a manual car nor do they even knew how to drive one so I didn't have anyone to teach me either. Despite that, 2 years ago I went out and bought my 2011 Corolla 5 speed and taught myself in that. Within a day, I was able to drive standard and I'd say in about a week I was driving pretty decently but more importantly, I was hooked. Now, I simply won't own a car without a stick shift! I don't care if in the future manual cars aren't sold anymore, I'll just keep buying used cars with sticks until the day I can't drive one anymore! :D

So far I've kept up with that promise since all of the cars that I've owned as well as my current car have all been stick shifts!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always wanted to own a manual car but I didn't know how to drive one. Plus, no one in my family has a manual car nor do they even knew how to drive one so I didn't have anyone to teach me either. Despite that, 2 years ago I went out and bought my 2011 Corolla 5 speed and taught myself in that. Within a day, I was able to drive standard and I'd say in about a week I was driving pretty decently but more importantly, I was hooked. Now, I simply won't own a car without a stick shift! I don't care if in the future manual cars aren't sold anymore, I'll just keep buying used cars with sticks until the day I can't drive one anymore! :D

So far I've kept up with that promise since all of the cars that I've owned as well as my current car have all been stick shifts!
I love to hear stories like this! Too many people act like it's impossible to learn when it's not. I hear this same response from people when they learn to drive a stick. Congrats and good job!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Anyone ever drive an old straight cut gear crashbox like a prewar Ford truck.

I downshift my Echo and hit the AC button, get free air conditioning versus wearing out my brakes, then shut the engine off and run the fan for even more cold air when I'm sitting at a light waiting for it to change. The engine actually uses no fuel when you downshift it, even with the AC engaged, making it free as long as stupid lights make you stop for empty intersections you might as well make the best of that crap sandwich.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone ever drive an old straight cut gear crashbox like a prewar Ford truck.

I downshift my Echo and hit the AC button, get free air conditioning versus wearing out my brakes, then shut the engine off and run the fan for even more cold air when I'm sitting at a light waiting for it to change. The engine actually uses no fuel when you downshift it, even with the AC engaged, making it free as long as stupid lights make you stop for empty intersections you might as well make the best of that crap sandwich.
Yep, people put their car in neutral when going downhill and that uses more fuel than leaving it in gear. Leaving it in gear puts the engine in a vacuum state that uses no fuel. :D

·
Swiftly
72 Posts
Perfectly understand the sentiment SCMR2.
I absolutely love Driving Manual on a windy road, or taking the Yamaha R1.
Servicing costs are lower for a manual, a manual has no messey filter to change or need to use 16lt to flush the torque converter every 60,000kms.

Learnt to drive in Landrover Series 2A 4 Sp Manual in the paddocks on the farm, then could use the Manual Tractor for slashing etc
Only cars parents had were manual. On Road driving for Licence 1986 Mazda 626 5Sp Manual, 1976 RangeRover 4Sp Manual, 1985 RangeRover 5Sp Manual my Dad put a Cup of water on the Dash & told me to shift smoothly & not spill any water. Needed to have sufficient Hrs & on road experience so did a number of 2,000km plus road trips with Dad in that learning to drive time.

1988 Celica ST162 3SGE 5Sp Manual - Longterm Daily Driver 1991 - 2010
2009 Corolla 6Sp Manual - Longterm Daily Driver 2010 - 2020

Other long term manual cars
1985 Landrover 110 County 4Sp Manual - for Ski Boat & caravan towing
1984 Mazda Rx7 Series 2 12A Turbo 5sp manual - Weekend Toy/Track Car
1991 Celica ST185 3SGTE Carlos Sainz GrpA Rallye 5Sp Manual - Weekend Toy/Track Car
2002 Mazda MX5 SP NB Series 2 6SpManual - Weekend Toy/Track Car

Wife drives the 2006 Corolla Wagon 4Sp Auto with Lockup Torque Converter, its pleasant & cheap enough to drive long distances, but its not as engaging to drive on your favourite winding road where you want the manual transmission for engine braking & responsiveness. It is a “functional shopping trolley” that does 25,000 - 30,000km per year.

Interesting that licence in a Manual Car used to be Mandatory if getting a Motor Cycle Licence. Seems to have changed now.

It used to be that if you went for your licence test in an Auto you could only Drive an Auto.That seems to have also changed now once you are off your P Plates.

Would like next car likely to be a 2021/2022 Corolla Wagon 6Sp Manual
=>> Provided TOYOTA Australia gets its act together & brings it into Australia. The new Corolla Hatch is just too small to be practical & a sedan is useless for loading pushbikes in the rear.

Rob

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
When I first started learning to drive a stick shift, I kept stalling. At the time, the 86 Chevy spectrum had a shift light. Never knew why it kept lighting up. Lol.

Driving it is one thing, but the biggest hurdle is being able to balance the clutch and gas pedal on a hill. Growing up in nor cal, there's lots of them. Glad I learned that too.

Of course, you never take the driving test using a stick shift car. Toyota and Honda clutches are so forgiving compared to the more stiffer Ford and Chevy pedals.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perfectly understand the sentiment SCMR2.
I absolutely love Driving Manual on a windy road, or taking the Yamaha R1.
Servicing costs are lower for a manual, a manual has no messey filter to change or need to use 16lt to flush the torque converter every 60,000kms.

Learnt to drive in Landrover Series 2A 4 Sp Manual in the paddocks on the farm, then could use the Manual Tractor for slashing etc
Only cars parents had were manual. On Road driving for Licence 1986 Mazda 626 5Sp Manual, 1976 RangeRover 4Sp Manual, 1985 RangeRover 5Sp Manual my Dad put a Cup of water on the Dash & told me to shift smoothly & not spill any water. Needed to have sufficient Hrs & on road experience so did a number of 2,000km plus road trips with Dad in that learning to drive time.

1988 Celica ST162 3SGE 5Sp Manual - Longterm Daily Driver 1991 - 2010
2009 Corolla 6Sp Manual - Longterm Daily Driver 2010 - 2020

Other long term manual cars
1985 Landrover 110 County 4Sp Manual - for Ski Boat & caravan towing
1984 Mazda Rx7 Series 2 12A Turbo 5sp manual - Weekend Toy/Track Car
1991 Celica ST185 3SGTE Carlos Sainz GrpA Rallye 5Sp Manual - Weekend Toy/Track Car
2002 Mazda MX5 SP NB Series 2 6SpManual - Weekend Toy/Track Car

Wife drives the 2006 Corolla Wagon 4Sp Auto with Lockup Torque Converter, its pleasant & cheap enough to drive long distances, but its not as engaging to drive on your favourite winding road where you want the manual transmission for engine braking & responsiveness. It is a “functional shopping trolley” that does 25,000 - 30,000km per year.

Interesting that licence in a Manual Car used to be Mandatory if getting a Motor Cycle Licence. Seems to have changed now.

It used to be that if you went for your licence test in an Auto you could only Drive an Auto.That seems to have also changed now once you are off your P Plates.

Would like next car likely to be a 2021/2022 Corolla Wagon 6Sp Manual
=>> Provided TOYOTA Australia gets its act together & brings it into Australia. The new Corolla Hatch is just too small to be practical & a sedan is useless for loading pushbikes in the rear.

Rob
I like the Corolla Wagon too but we don't have it in the USA either.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I first started learning to drive a stick shift, I kept stalling. At the time, the 86 Chevy spectrum had a shift light. Never knew why it kept lighting up. Lol.

Driving it is one thing, but the biggest hurdle is being able to balance the clutch and gas pedal on a hill. Growing up in nor cal, there's lots of them. Glad I learned that too.

Of course, you never take the driving test using a stick shift car. Toyota and Honda clutches are so forgiving compared to the more stiffer Ford and Chevy pedals.
I took my driving test in a manual and my oldest daughter took her driving test in my 94 Corolla 5MT and passed with flying colors!

Reactions: 75aces
1 - 20 of 37 Posts