Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was a nervous wreck even with an automatic. Lol
I think that is true for most of us. I took my driving test in my dad's 1974 Triumph TR6 that was a stick.

Reactions: 75aces

·
2014 VW Passat Tsi SEL
1,149 Posts
I was taught to drive in a 1969 Chevy truck with a 3 speed column manual.
That was in 1973. I never owned an automatic vehicle until 2000.
My favorite car was my 1990 (1st year) Mazda Miata.
That car was so pure to drive.
I removed the rubber pedal covers to remove isolation from my feet to master heel/toe shifting.
Once you get it right it's a joy.....

Good video.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I learned to drive in a 58 VW bug. Clutch slipped so bad when the 300+ pound state trooper got in the car for the road test I worried about just getting it moving with that much added weight. Taught my granddaughter in my Echo. Rule 1 get it moving in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear without touching the gas pedal or stalling the engine. She never drove a manual before, but when she was 10 years old she rode in my Echo (no ac sold it later) with manual windows and rolled her window up and down repeatedly all the way to the ice cram store and back. An hour 20 minutes later she drove through the roughest traffic you see here with no problem. She drove that car for 2 years, no one ever borrowed it and they sold it for what they paid for it with a $500 bumper bump on the right side to bring the purchase price down to $1000 after I sprayed some paint on it.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
233 Posts
Manual transmissions are great I own 2 manual cars one being a 1989 Mazda B2200 pickup and a 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle is the other I learned to drive on the Mazda that clutch is much easier to use than the beetle clutch lol. It has also helped me at work knowing how to drive a manual I’m one of the few there that can I’m the youngest one at my shop who can drive it the rest of the guys that can are older.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my brand new at the time 2003 Camry 4 LE with 4 miles on odometer for $16,000.00 out the door. Why? It was 1 of 2 manual transmission Camry's that had been on the lot a long time. The only deals you see on used cream puff Toyota's is always on manual transmission vehicles because young people today can not drive them! On top of that the manual transmission models are faster and get better fuel economy in the right hands. Because I engine brake my brake pads and brake shoes last for ever. On top of that you do not see ring sticking and oil consumption as often as you do with automatics. Oh and let's face it they are just more fun and more engaging to drive.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
Manual transmissions are always fun to drive. But of course, in the right hands and the right situation one can use it's full potential.

Granted the Camry manuals have been known to be less than stellar. Have not owned one, but have read that it's like driving with the volume muted. The clutch seems to be lacking a better biting clutch from new. But this is why the aftermarket support is good. Thrown in a better clutch and go have fun with the 5fe. Though, have heard it's worse with the 2az. Guess it's the dimensions that throws it mute. Who knows, I have been known to be wrong.

Have only owned 2 Corollas since 2003. Hoping to score on a gem for something older, and maybe something new. GR Corolla awd turbo may be in my future. But, not for Camry money. Might have to wait a year, but by that time, values could still be up.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Manual transmissions are always fun to drive. But of course, in the right hands and the right situation one can use it's full potential.

Granted the Camry manuals have been known to be less than stellar. Have not owned one, but have read that it's like driving with the volume muted. The clutch seems to be lacking a better biting clutch from new. But this is why the aftermarket support is good. Thrown in a better clutch and go have fun with the 5fe. Though, have heard it's worse with the 2az. Guess it's the dimensions that throws it mute. Who knows, I have been known to be wrong.

Have only owned 2 Corollas since 2003. Hoping to score on a gem for something older, and maybe something new. GR Corolla awd turbo may be in my future. But, not for Camry money. Might have to wait a year, but by that time, values could still be up.
I love the clutch feel in my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I expected that response.👍
When I drove the XRS 5MT brand new I don't remember it being much different but it was only a 15-minute drive. When I drove the S 5MT it felt similar but this was when new. At least it wasn't different enough that I remember a big difference. I like the clutch on my 2009 Corolla S 5MT more than my 2017 Corolla iM 6MT. It has taken me a long time to get used to it but now that I am I'm okay with it. The 2 are polar opposite though so when I go from one to the other it takes me a few minutes to get used to it again. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
That's the fun part. Not knowing how one changes. The time I rented a slingshot, it was more work to drive. Clutch was stuff and gear change were noisy. No doubt it was fun.

I've driven both a 04 s and now a 06 Corolla xrs. The feel is the same with the clutch. Difference I feel is that the 1zz is fun, but lacks the lift. The xrs is fun from 4.5k to 8250 in 3rd and 4th gear. Though 5th needs a bit more to push it over the top.

Currently in the midst of trying to find a 3rd car. Truth be told, I am interested in the GR Corolla AWD. But in reality, I am trying to justify paying Camry money. Granted it is a rare gem, but I have to wait for its arrival in the showroom. I would like to get my hands on an mkiv or mkiii supra. Still searching for the right one. Accepting the fact that a TT is not achievable now, but it could be better off with the na and slick top.

Mkiii is more affordable over the mkiv, but not so much for resale ability. Just exploring options. Who knows, I may just say screw it and get a 2021 supra with mt.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's the fun part. Not knowing how one changes. The time I rented a slingshot, it was more work to drive. Clutch was stuff and gear change were noisy. No doubt it was fun.

I've driven both a 04 s and now a 06 Corolla xrs. The feel is the same with the clutch. Difference I feel is that the 1zz is fun, but lacks the lift. The xrs is fun from 4.5k to 8250 in 3rd and 4th gear. Though 5th needs a bit more to push it over the top.

Currently in the midst of trying to find a 3rd car. Truth be told, I am interested in the GR Corolla AWD. But in reality, I am trying to justify paying Camry money. Granted it is a rare gem, but I have to wait for its arrival in the showroom. I would like to get my hands on an mkiv or mkiii supra. Still searching for the right one. Accepting the fact that a TT is not achievable now, but it could be better off with the na and slick top.

Mkiii is more affordable over the mkiv, but not so much for resale ability. Just exploring options. Who knows, I may just say screw it and get a 2021 supra with mt.
I hear you. There are so many cars I would love to own, let alone just Toyotas that I want! :)

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
someday youll see a MKIV twin turbo for 10k ... but it'll need work :p
I would love to find a nice MKIII turbo. I've always loved that the most.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ohhh that movie :) my parents brought me to the movie theatre to see that... I was like 8 year old :) didnt know what a supra was really :) some people are really delusionnal :

21 - 37 of 37 Posts