Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I was recently thinking about getting a new Camry. With my budget, I can either go with a V6 XLE or Hybrid. I don't really care about the MPG differnce between V6 and Hybrid that much. On the other hand, the trunk space and the sequential shift on the V6 XLE looks attractive to me. So overrall speaking, V6 XLE is the choice.

However, my concern here is that the Hybrid version comes with VDIM, which seems to be a huge improvement over the TRAC/VSC on the V6 XLE. For example, (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152498) talks about how the RWD+VDIM Lexus kicks the ass of the other AWD+VSC Lexus on snow.

I care a lot about safety, so I'm now a little bit wondering if I should go for the Hybrid version for its VDIM? Do you think VDIM is really that cool? Or is the VSC+TRAC just more than enough to save you in situations when you need VDIM?

Btw, you know why TOYOTA don't put VDIM on the XLE seires....not even as an option?

Thanks.

·
my MPG>yours
TCH
174 Posts
I'm sorry, it does in fact come with VDIM. However, to my understanding of the system, TRAC and VSC are two components of the system. If you are looking for a crusier to take on trips, the biggest problem being the Hybrid's lack of trunk, I would go with an XLE.

·
my MPG>yours
TCH
174 Posts
geoff5093 said:
VDIM sounds cool, but what if you wanted to make your tires spin in the snow :p
I ran into this problem this week. The VDIM would not allow me to spin my tires to rock myself out of a hole, so I had to get towed. I think that it's a serious flaw that the system cannot be disengaged at certain times.

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
kriskraut said:
I ran into this problem this week. The VDIM would not allow me to spin my tires to rock myself out of a hole, so I had to get towed. I think that it's a serious flaw that the system cannot be disengaged at certain times.
Its not a flaw.

·
Under Reconstruction
4,349 Posts
kriskraut said:
Out of a hole? Were you off-roading or something? :confused:

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
Epsilon said:
Out of a hole? Were you off-roading or something? :confused:
There are tons of times where you can get stuck even on a paved road. Especially when theres snow, its really easy to get stuck.

There deffinetely should be a way to override that system, because sometimes even just by spinning your tires your able to hit bare ground and then get some traction.

Or if you wanted to play with your car and do some donuts :p

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
In our nasty ice/snow whatever we got in the Mid-Atlantic this week, my traction control worked on several occasions. More importantly, my VSC engaged for the first time on the road (I have gotten it to engage on the track when playing around). It did whatever it does and I was able to straighten out of a fish tail in the works with minimal effort other than turning the wheel where I intended to turn.

I am very pleased!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
kriskraut said:
It is a flaw, it's a computer system overriding human input. My Gen 5 has the option to turn Trac off, and when I've gotten stuck in snow, I've been able to pull myself out.
I would say...

The system works as designed.

However, when they designed it, the flawed in not adding the option to override it.

Has anyone tried the parking brake/brake pumping and starting sequence that disables the TRAC on the non-hybrid Camrys?

·
Under Reconstruction
4,349 Posts
geoff5093 said:
There are tons of times where you can get stuck even on a paved road. Especially when theres snow, its really easy to get stuck.

There deffinetely should be a way to override that system, because sometimes even just by spinning your tires your able to hit bare ground and then get some traction.

Or if you wanted to play with your car and do some donuts :p
I totally forgot about snow since I live in Louisiana. My fault. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.