Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you already bought the gas model, or looking to buy gas model soon. I am just wondering if you can share the reason why you did not wait or consider the hybrid.

So far, the differences I know are:

• Better mileage (rated at 600+ miles / 900+ km on a full tank, is this even realistic?)
  • Only US1.4k and CAD $2k more than the gas model
  • More moving parts, more chance of failure
  • Lower towing capacity
  • More weight
  • Lower resale value?? Negating any gas savings?
Is there anything else I missed?

I am trying to hold off until the Hybrid comes out so I can go check out both models. If you can share your thoughts on this, that would help me decide. Sometimes I feel like not taking chances of Hybrid with it's "more moving parts, more chance of failure"

·
Registered
2020 Highlander AWD Platinum
27 Posts
With our average miles we drive it would take us 7 years to break even from the additional cost of a hybrid( est $3.50/gallon). Then when the 10 year battery warranty goes away that 7-10 year timeline gets reset when you need a new $2-3000k battery. Less towing capacity is also an issue for us which hasn’t been resolve yet on the platinum gas or hybrid. Just run the numbers.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,430 Posts
I wonder how long your hybrid could idle to keep you warm if you were stranded in -30 C temp. How long will the air conditioner work in +30 C weather. To me.. a hybrid is only useful if you just commute to work or get bread and milk at the grocery store.. and you plan to trade up long before the battery needs replacing. Once the subsidies disappear.. and you pay road tax (or equivalent) on that electricity.. hybrids soon lose their appeal.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm waiting for the hybrid. It won't be a financial driver. I probably won't break even vs. the gas model based on how long I usually keep my vehicles (3 to 5 years).

I've been intrigued by hybrids ever since I test drove a 2008 Highlander Hybrid. I've enjoyed renting various hybrids including the Prius and the Fusion Hybrid. I seriously considered buying a Lexus CT200 or a Prius. It came down to the CT and the 4Runner, and I went with the latter (no regrets). A few months ago I seriously considered buying a Tesla Model 3.

I think it's the instant torque of the electric motor(s) that I enjoy. My main concern was lack of power when the gas engine kicked in -- saw that with the CT, Prius, and the Fusion. You'd accelerate, and it was great for the first few seconds until the gas engine kicked in and you're basically mashing down the gas pedal to build any speed.

One other note: based on a couple of the YouTube reviews, I'm seriously considering the AWD version. Seems like the FWD versions have a bad case of torque steer when the electric motor kicks in.

I'm not as worried about reliability and longevity given how many years Toyota has had producing hybrids. They extended the warranty period from 8 to 10 years for 2020, which indicates to me that they are confident enough to know they can do that with minimal risk.

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Ltd
168 Posts
If I buy another Highlander, I’m waiting for the Hybrid Limited or Platinum. My ‘14 Limited ice consistently gets 17.5 -18.5 mpg. (I rarely drive highway, mostly short trips to work and around town) For $1,400, I’m almost doubling my mpg. No brainer. Assuming gas prices and how I drive remain stable, I’ll pay off the $1,400 in about 21K miles over driving my ‘14. I don’t need to tow 5K lbs., 3.5K is more than enough for me. Not sure where the lower resale bullet point came from in the OP’s post. All of my research indicates that the Hybrid (2014-2019) has a higher resale? I likely won’t keep the car more than 5 or 6 years before I get the itch to buy new again, so no battery replacement costs/issues. Toyota’s Hybrid systems have also proven very reliable.

Kelly Blue Book average trade 01/10/20, Standard Options:
2014 ICE Limited - $17,846
2014 Hybrid Limited - $20,791

2014 ICE Platinum - $19,510
2014 Hybrid Platinum - $22,044

The differences are also consistent from year to year. The Hybrids are worth more at resale across the board and between my savings in mpg and higher resale, I expect to be $5K - $6K ahead over an equivalent ICE model at the end of my ownership.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lower resale value?? Negating any gas savings?
Looking at Edmunds to compare used hybrid vs non hybrid for exact same model - same average condition, same color, same options - the hybrid doesn't seem to loose that much value even after the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty has expired.

Comparison 2016 model year / 50,000 miles:

2016 compare.jpg

Comparison 2011 model year / 100,000 miles:

2011 compare.jpg

·
7,774 Posts
I'd dare to point out that OP is interested in why you chose gas over hybrid. Not how hybrid is better. I think, he already has one similar thread in hybrid section, where he is convinced that hybrid is better.
Maybe prove to him HERE, why gas is better?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd dare to point out that OP is interested in why you chose gas over hybrid. Not how hybrid is better. I think, he already has one similar thread in hybrid section, where he is convinced that hybrid is better.
I don't know if/why gas is better. I haven't bought either one yet. I simply "dared" to ask a question. If it was an inappropriate question or post, then I apologize.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Isn't the hybrid better for the environment, regardless of how long it takes to recoup the cost difference?

It's debateable, and the answer is likely "No'. Hybrid technologies require the refinement of heavy metals --- something that is not very environmentally friendly to begin with. However, it's done in far away lands and not metropolitans where one's external public image to the world is everything. Basically --- it gives the buyer warm-fuzzies.

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Ltd
168 Posts
Urp. :oops: Well now I feel silly. In my defense, I hadn’t had my coffee yet. Apologies to the OP.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
965 Posts
In my defense, I hadn’t had my coffee yet.
Times when you should not post on internet forums: ? :ROFLMAO:
1 - Drunk
2 - Hungover
3 - Late at night when tired
4 - Before coffee

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good point. However, if you carefully read his original post he himself lists Hybrid plus and cons, so imho he still wants same discussion Gas vs Hybrid. Moreover, he is very concerned with Hybrid "having more moving parts.....and more chances of failure". And just as a final nail in the coffin of this discussion of what OP wants lol, here he writes: "I am just wondering if you can share the reason why you did not wait or consider the hybrid". He literally asks why Hybrid is worse than gas model.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OP here's my take why gas model is better:
1. Price of gas model is cheaper by $1400
2. 3.5L V6 is more powerful and has better acceleration when you need it (often drive with passengers, baggage, or just want more power to feel safer on highways on ramps, passing etc)
3. Better availability (more choices of trims/colors - for those who don't want to wait for order and wants to just buy on the lot) and better discounts under MSRP (HiHy when it comes out will have much steeper curve of holding msrp and much less discounts compared to gas model - based on similar sales trend for RAV4 gas vs Hybrid).
4. 250lbs lighter - this is subtle, but noticeable increase in handling (of course this is very mild point, as neither of Highlanders excels at handling, but just for sake of complete list of reasons)
5. Towing 5000lbs - again this is only for those who needs it (statistically it's less than 5% who tow close to 5000lbs, probably why Toyota decided not to care too much for them and offered only 3500lbs on HiHy)
6. If you keep it for >10 years - a slight chance that repair prices (should you ever need it) will be higher on HiHy, as once again many repair shops go by the book and the book has different requirements for Hybrid vehicles - Hi-Voltage system clearance and such. So I'm saying that gas model might be cheaper in the long run to maintain (though you might have to pay more for spark plug replacement on V6 vs inline 4 on HiHy).

One thing I want to address though: HiHy does not have more moving parts. To begin with V6 engine is a lot more complex (even if it's older), it has 2 banks (instead of 1 on 4 cyl.), it has more valves, more gaskets, more chances of failure. In addition gas model gets 8-speed transmission that also has a lot more moving parts vs CVT on Hybrid model. On top of that that 2.5L inline 4 cyl. engine in HiHy will work in MUCH milder regime on a steady rpms (ideal for internal combustion engine) vs 3.5L engine that will be MUCH more taxed on EVERY and EACH acceleration/load. Somebody calculated that on a average trip Toyota Hybrids spent 40% of time with engine NOT working, while the rest 60% it's working in much milder loads. If I remember correctly coefficient of miles in terms of engine life was about 3 to 1 - basically for every 100k miles you drive on your gas 3.5L it will equate to only about 30k miles on HiHy - meaning that engine in HiHy will have 3 times less wear and tear. So IMHO it's not as simple as you might think that HiHY has more moving parts and hence more chances of failure. In my opinion it's opposite.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Isn't the hybrid better for the environment, regardless of how long it takes to recoup the cost difference?
it's better for city environment where you drive that Hybrid or Tesla etc. It's worse for global environment as Nickel, Lithium and other elements are mined from earth and that creates a lot pollution - if you for example check mining places in China, area around mines is so toxic, that plants die, animals get diseases and people get cancer. Of course it's better for a US/Canadian to enjoy cleaner city air in their cities rather than think about uncle Lee with lymphoma or little baby girl Xu who has a leukemia or some guy named Hu with lung and skin cancer. That's just hybrids. If we take EVs - it's even worse, as each EV battery is like 20-50 times bigger than a HiHy battery and not only much more little Xus are going to die, but also energy for your garage charger comes from a wall.....not really lol, it comes from mainly coal burning somewhere in Arizona or Utah (or many other states) and uncle Bob is going to die from mesothelioma, but who cares right, as long as Thomas or Keith can drive his Tesla and be happy that he is helping environment. :D

·
7,774 Posts
I guess.

I am just wondering if you can share the reason why you did not wait or consider the hybrid.

Also, it's conventional Highlander forum. Hybrid discussions are in hybrid section.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the confusion. It was not really about gas vs hybrid, and it was just a question for gas version buyers why they chose gas over the hybrid. I think mod changed the title to correctly reflect the point of the thread.

Thanks everyone for sharing your reasons, that does help. :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts