Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1993 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L. I mostly do city driving except for some days. In the city I will average 14.5 MPG. So today I wanted to see If i got crappy MPG on the highway, I drove 150 miles and ended up getting 27.1 MPG. I have a feeling that the fuel filter is playing a role in my city MPG, but why isnt it making my highway mpg go down to craptastic levels?
John

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
um, you'll generally always get better mpg on the highway in comparison to city driving.

city driving you idle more, and you burn gas while idling at lights and stop signs...

depending on how much you're starting/stopping, 14.5 may be perfectly fine... if you want, you could always replace the fuel filter to ensure you're getting the best efficiency you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man,

My 95 Camry V6 is 20-21MPG in city.
14 is not acceptable. too bad!!! You pay 600-800$ more one year for gas. Sell it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do very little city driving, mostly highway. I'm averaging betwen 29-33MPG.

I'd replace the fuel filter, but one of the most important things to check, that most people don't, is the quality of the tread on the tires, and the air pressure. Check this pressure often guys/gals.
My Goodyear Integrity radials ask for 44psi max cold pressure, but to keep from wearing the center of the tires out really quickly, and to stop my teeth from rattling on the road, I cranked them down to 29psi cold. Besides, Toyota, while they don't make tires and perhaps they shouldn't since they would last 100K miles, recommends 29psi. Keep a close eye on tire pressure, you're probably low. Hope this helps.

Sly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts