Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a while since I've been here. Here is my issue, 96' 1.8 engine. has been experiencing a no start condition intermittently. One day it will start right up without issue, the next it will turn over but not start. If I remove the gas cap and add fuel, it will start right up. I replaced the gas cap and replaced the fuel pump. NOW, when i get the no start condition, I can slowly release the gas cap, re-tighten back, and it will start. Any insight as to why this is happening? What has the gas cap got to do with the no start, but slowly removing it and then put it back on gets a start up.

I'm confused. These cars are pretty simple to work on but this has me stumped.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
5,027 Posts
Is there a large "whooooosh" sound when you remove the cap?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,552 Posts
Could be a weak fuel pump and/or a vacuum created in the gas tank. Shouldn't the cap let air in but not out, and any excess pressure goes through the charcoal canister?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my brothers car. He put a new fuel pump in it, I don't think he replaced the gasket between the pump and tank.
It starts one day and then will not the next.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Recent Update,
Checked the canister and it's clogged, Is there any way to clean it. or should we just find a junkyard and replace the canister.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, It starts one day and doesn't the next. The canister is clogged, When it doesn't start, I can put about two gallons of gas in it, and it starts right up and runs smooth
What in the world. There is a strong smell of gas but no leaks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,633 Posts
Your canister may only have a one way valve. The canister is vapor locking.

Pressure test the system by disconnecting the vsv on the canister and seal the system from the filler neck. Then fill the system with smoke to find the problem in the canister.

If this issue has been happening for some time, the canister is not working like it should, but test to make sure.

Is there a test port on this gen in the engine bay or is that only for OBDII.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,145 Posts
Why do further testing on the canister if he's already tested it to find that it's clogged? The canister needs replacement, period.

There's an OBD-1 test port on both the OBD-1 and OBD-2 cars in this gen.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,145 Posts
94RollaDad, would this cause the start today, not start tomorrow issue?
I'm not sure to be honest. But I'd replace the canister and see. A clogged canister can also build up enough pressure in the fuel tank to cause pinhole leaks, which isn't good. So better have it addressed regardless.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,633 Posts
Why do further testing on the canister if he's already tested it to find that it's clogged? The canister needs replacement, period.

There's an OBD-1 test port on both the OBD-1 and OBD-2 cars in this gen.
This is true, however, if the gas cap is removed and reinstalled, that doesn't necessarily point to the canister?

The canister is clogged likely due to the vent not being able to open. But for me, the canister isn't the issue.

The smoke test would reveal where the true leak is. And I suspect it's in the filler neck and not the canister.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,145 Posts
Yeah I was not reacting to doing a system smoke test - it was more "don't bother testing a known defective canister".

If there's a leak a typical source is the o-ring on the fuel cap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts