Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(re-posting this as I think the main tire fitment thread is dead)

I've got a 2005 Camry SE V6 with a set of 215/55R-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS on the stock 17x7 rims. These are okay tires, but they're still only UHP all-seasons, and ones known for very light steering feel. I'd like to replace them--problem is, there are only a couple of summer tire options in this size, and TireRack's tests suggest they aren't great ones.

I'm thinking about going to 225/50R-17 tires, not because I want bigger rubber but because I can get some really good summer tires in that size. But the car is on Eibach Pro-Kits so it sits about 1.6" lower than stock. Even with the 215s, there's only about a finger's width of clearance between the tire and the rear strut assembly. My calculations (which may well be wrong) suggest 225s will further reduce that clearance by 0.2in. I think that should still fit, but will be closer to rubbing.

So, has anyone installed 225/50R-17s (or another upsized tire) on this model? Did you have any clearance issues? Thanks for any suggestions..

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
So, has anyone installed 225/50R-17s (or another upsized tire) on this model? Did you have any clearance issues?
Since you have a non-stock suspension (Eibach Pro-Kits), that "sits about 1.6" lower than stock" I don't see how anyone can give you accurate advice on this.

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:) Some other people also run non-stock suspensions, although this is hardly a popular car to work on. The 1.6" number comes from Eibach, and the 'finger-width' clearance assessment is brought to you by my right pinkie.

I'm not expecting advice from those without this fitment (and thus, not a deluge of replies on this thread), but who knows, there may be someone running a similar setup who has something helpful to add.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tire Size Comparator: Custom rims, wheel tire packages Gives extremely detailed comparisons

between different tire sizes when you’re trying to determine alternate fitments.

Tire Size Comparison

Very handy when you need to determine which sizes that are currently in

production will work for your car when the original size is no longer available.

Wheel Size Comparator:
Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

Very handy if one is trying to change out wheels. Great database.

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great links. Thank you!

From the first link: 'Package 2 is 5 mm (0.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.'

Well, at least my math wasn't too far off. I'll probably go ahead and order a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in this size, and put my faith in TireRack's return policy (though it sounds like there's a reasonable chance of them clearing).

·
Registered
183 Posts
You're quite welcome. I have yet to have those tools steer me wrong (no pun intended) and they allow for very detailed comparisons. As you noted, the tire size comparator for the custom rims, wheels, & tires even has data on the suspension configuration for myriad makes and models and can use that. It takes guesswork out of the equation almost entirely.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am running 225 45 17 on my 03 camry and have plenty of clearance on stock suspension, I could lower it 1-2 inches with no issues, hope this helps.

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am running 225 45 17 on my 03 camry and have plenty of clearance on stock suspension, I could lower it 1-2 inches with no issues, hope this helps.
It does indeed. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So long as you don't have spacers or a wheel offset of 20mm or less, it should be fine. I'm on ksport pro's with about an inch drop, with 1/4in spacers behind the wheels; my tires do currently rub the fender lip. Although with that being said, without the spacers not only would mine not rub, but I would also have eons of space between the tire and shock assembly; I'm currently on 215/50 R17 Uniroyals. Out of curiosity, do you have lowering spring kits, or a full shock/strut kit? If it's the latter, you may have your camber set too far in the negative, which would bring the tops of the tires closer to the shock assembly.

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So long as you don't have spacers or a wheel offset of 20mm or less, it should be fine. I'm on ksport pro's with about an inch drop, with 1/4in spacers behind the wheels; my tires do currently rub the fender lip. Although with that being said, without the spacers not only would mine not rub, but I would also have eons of space between the tire and shock assembly; I'm currently on 215/50 R17 Uniroyals. Out of curiosity, do you have lowering spring kits, or a full shock/strut kit? If it's the latter, you may have your camber set too far in the negative, which would bring the tops of the tires closer to the shock assembly.
Thanks all for the detailed and helpful responses. I went ahead and ordered the tires, and I'll reply back on this thread once they're fitted (or not, lol) in case anyone else is thinking about a similar upgrade.

To your question, my car's setup is pretty mild, it's lowering springs only (a set of Eibach Pro-Kits) with KYB GR-2 struts (whose valving is not much, if any, stiffer than stock) and a TRD rear anti-roll bar. I don't think the geometry will have changed much in this application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts