Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm an '91 MR2 US turbo owner in the Netherlands. And need some information about bigger brake kits..

I looked into the fact that 93' brakes are bigger, but I still feel the urge to have some nice big calipers and rotors behind my 17" rims. The other fact here in the Netherlands is that a complete 93' kit for the MR2 will almost cost the same as a big brake kit.

The thing i need to know is: will 4 pot calipers with 280mm rotors fit on a '91 MR2 turbo? and is it wise to fit such a kit or will it only give problems?

and what about the rearbrakes? The calipers for the rearbrakes also control the handbrake.. So I need some suggestions what I can fit at the rearbrakes and if I need to changes the calipers as wel or only the rotors?

Hope someone can help me out

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
I would highly recommend avoiding "big brake kits" ... unless you have the means to ensure that you are not changing the brake bias of the car.

The 91 turbo MR2 does not need any more brakes.
The 93s are a nice (and safe) upgrade if you really want something bigger.

If your interest is in stopping faster/better, I would recommend a $20 brake caliper rebuild kit from Toyota, some Porterfield R4S pads and some new rotors.

If your interest is in the look, I suggest going for some other eye candy that will not put you at risk of increasing your stopping distance.

Just my 2 psi.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thnx for your reply,

the reason I want to change my breaks is that my pads are almost finished and my rotors need to be changed as well.. in the near future I want to reach about 300hp at the flywheel and therefore I was thinking about bigger brakes, and do it right from the start.
But you say that the '93 kit wil do? will the calipers from '93 brakes also be bigger?

There are not many Turbo's driving around here so that's why I came to Toyotanation for advice. Although in the US you have a different way of tuning I think there's still much I can learn from you guys.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
93 rotors and calipers are bigger than 91s.....if u want the BLING, go for a big brake kit...but as suggested earlier...if u want a little more stopping power..get a decent set of pads..some stainless steel lines and see how ur 91 brakes perform then....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Della D. Turbo said:
will the calipers from '93 brakes alsobe bigger?
What I ment was.. this rebuild kit you are talking about, will it up-grage my '91 calipers or replace them? And can I get this at the dealer? or d oyou have a part/order-number that I check where I can find this rebuild kit

thnx in advance

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
The rebuild kit is just new gaskets and such to take your current calipers apart and rebuild them. It does not make them any bigger :)

As for stopping power, I am on the 91 Turbo Brakes with the porterfield pads. I have 351 hp at the wheels and I have no problems repeatedly braking the car down from 115+ mph speeds during SCCA Solo1 Hill Climb races (see Web site for in car videos).

Again, there is no need for bigger brakes on the MR2 as long as yours are in good working condition.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah our cars really eat rotors eh? My rotors are starting to get a groove sinking in :\ anybody else ever experience this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts