Toyota Nation Forum banner

Will led headlights work well in a 92 camry?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mrsparkle86 
#1 ·
I am going to replace the horrible "basic" sylvania headlights that I put in last year. About all I can say about the sylvania basic is they do light up. I can only see about 10 feet in front of the car and am always turning on the high beams just to see what is on road. I bought the $50 best sylvania halogens but then started how great leds now are and how long they last. I have seen several home leds bulbs and they range from horrible to about as good as a standard bulb so I am not immediately sold on leds.

Will standard leds fit in a 1992 camry without any modifications? Do LEDs now look as good as halyognes in color and brightness? Any specific brands to pick or avoid?

#4 ·
I do drive in Michigan winters. I only have direct experinece with hylogens, that I know of. I don't know the headlight types in other other cars I have driven. I think you are tying to say they won't melt snow and ice off the lens. That is not too much of a problem since the car is in the garage daily..

#6 ·
Do NOT put LED in a halogen light unless it's designed for your specific beam pattern! Be careful of this. Just because it's the same bulb socket doesn't mean squat. I've seen too many people who's headlights throw light everywhere but they couldn't see anything. Make sure the diode is in the right place.

Or do it right and do a projector retrofit. They really aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I just did it to my wife's ZX2 and it cost me $140 with HID bulbs. We went from not being able to see very far at all to now she never uses her high beam. Before, even her high beam wasn't very good and that's with Silvana silverstars.

#7 ·
Your reflectors were designed for filament lamps. LEDs are entirely different and require very different reflectors. As best I recall, we studied reflectors in analytic geometry. I suspect that using LEDs in filament reflectors will yield very poor results. Filaments are roughly "point sources" of light and LEDS are most certainly not point sources.

#9 ·
Do you need to clean or replace the headlight lenses? If they are yellowed or dull replacing or resurfacing them is going to be a better improvement than anything else, and you won't be blinding other drivers with your ghetto aftermarket lighting. Also be sure the bulbs are getting full voltage and you don't have an electrical problem that is making them dim.

#10 ·
LED's won't fix your problem. You'll create more problems, especially for other drivers. Halogen headlight housings are set up with cutoffs meant to accomodate halogen light beam pattern, not LED's.

My vote is to bake open the headlights (look it up, youtube) and clean the glass/plastics inside and out with a polish (or just toothpaste) to remove yellowing or oxidation. And then adjust the headlights so that they are at the proper cutoff height (again, look it up on youtube). BUT AGAIN PLEASE DONT BLIND OTHER DRIVERS, DO THIS RIGHT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.