Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'm going to change out my dino trans fluid for valvoline syntethic and i'd like to do it all at the same time without doing 3 changes over the next week.
what if i pull the 3/8"? rubber hose off the pipe coming straight out of the trans and run it into a catch bucket and put a temporary hose (not sure of the diameter till i remove it but looks to be about 3/8") from the trans pipe down into a new gallon of valvoline? start it up and let it run until the new 'supply' container is empty, turn it off, put another gallon of fluid up to the hose and run it until the fluild changes color?
i assume it will take about 8 or 9 qts to do to this.
i don't know if the trans pump has enough pull to pull the fluid out of the supply container or not though as the other times i've seen something close to this, they just refill through the dip stick but that's gotta take alot longer that way. just curious what you all think.
(i just dropped the pan a few hundred miles ago and put a new filter on it so that's why i didn't mention doing it again this time.)
thanks
tony

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98, i checked the write up and i didn't see where he did what i asking can be done. can you point me to it? i want to let the trans pump pull the new fluid out of the container so it will go in at the same rate as it comes out and not have to do the stop, fill, wait, start, stop cycle.
if anyone has any information on whether or not this works, please chime in because i really want to try it unless there's some reason i shouldn't.
tony

·
Home School Valedictorian
482 Posts
98, i checked the write up and i didn't see where he did what i asking can be done. can you point me to it? i want to let the trans pump pull the new fluid out of the container so it will go in at the same rate as it comes out and not have to do the stop, fill, wait, start, stop cycle.
if anyone has any information on whether or not this works, please chime in because i really want to try it unless there's some reason i shouldn't.
tony
The pump will not pull the fluid out of a bucket, the pump pulls from the fluid pan. You will have to fill through the fill tube.

Reactions: mcgowaw

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks 9t6. that's what i needed to know. i wasn't sure if the pump created enough of a vacuum/suction to pull from a supply source other than the bottom of the pan since it does have to suck hard to pull it up from there, i was hoping i could improve this process.
thanks though for all the help guys.
tony

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,756 Posts
I've done this a bunch of times on at least 6 different cars. You don't need to stop and fill and stop and fill, etc. I used an old 10 quart Amsoil tranny fluid jug and marked it so it showed graduated steps 1 through 10 quarts. Get a long enough hose that the container with its markings is within your eyesight on the floor. Start the engine and start pouring in the tranny fluid down the dipstick. Keep an eye on the jug and keep your pouring consistent with what you see in the jug. You can also have your wife, buddy, neighbor, your Uncle Tony or whoever watch the jug and let you know verbally right before it gets to 1,2,3,4, etc. I've done that too. Don't use a skinny funnel, as those take longer to drain down into the pipe and might not be able to keep up with the tranny pumping out the fluid. I used a big tranny funnel. It goes pretty fast this way. Only do this flush if your tranny was working perfectly before. If there was a problem, then flushing can make it worse (at least that's what some people believe).

Reactions: mcgowaw

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks tony for the info. i was hoping there was a better way...and no, i don't subscribe to changing the fluid as being bad, regardless of the age of the transmission.
thanks again.
tony

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wanted to close the loop on this post as my son and i just did the complete flush of the trans with the valvoline atf and it made a noticeable difference in shift shock reduction. well worth the cost of the atf, since it's not much more than dino to begin with at walmart. thanks to everyone who kept telling me how well the valvoline synthetic fluid worked because you all were right. like it much better than the castrol high mileage atf, which i'd tried before.
thanks again to all
tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.