Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid
But...although it is otherwise perfect for my needs,
I frequently have need of picking up 10-12 cases of canned liquids ; about 200-230 lbs.
With that load in the back, she waddles like a duck full of bread.
I am wondering what to do...
Any (helpful...) suggestions?:|

·
Registered
2001 Camry LE
657 Posts
Hmm... perhaps you can try adding air bags to the rear suspension/springs. I know some people do that when towing with a Sienna. I'm surprised a Rav4 can't handle a ~230 pound load in the back though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Handles it and more...
It actually tracks better with 5-600 lbs in it....
But it waggles it's butt like it's after a date...
It handles well enough normally that it can be annoying on uneven surfaces when it does not.

Can this model fit air bags??

·
Rabid RAVer
2018 RAV4 Hybrid AWD
5 Posts
Is your vehicle equipped with stability control? If so, do you have it activated or deactivated? If it is present and activated, I wonder whether if swaying is or isn't being handled by the trailer sway control (notwithstanding the absence of a trailer)?

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
That doesn't sound right, sounds like maybe your tires are under inflated, I ran my '16 Ltd HV at 38 PSI and never had a problem loaded with 12 20lbs sacks of seed (240lbs), never noticed the load except it rode a little nicer. Air suspension is available for the Rav4, takes the same kit as the 3rd gen, can be installed yourself, although getting the bags stuffed into the coil springs is a chore, but doable.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Toyota/RAV4/2017/F4174.html?vehicleID=20171014453#exp-productdetails=.all-description

1 - 5 of 5 Posts