Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years the paint on the edge of the wiper arms have been worn away by the wind. I assume this is a common issue. I had the same issue with my old S10.

I could just leave it but I would like to repaint it. Has anybody else done this? What would you recommend I do. Should I prime the bare metal? Or should I just lightly sand and spray with a satin black. What has your experience been like, so I don't make the same mistakes

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
I think it has to do more with the sun and it's UV rays rather than the wind. I would just lightly sand it and re-spray it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
I think it has to do more with the sun and it's UV rays rather than the wind. I would just lightly sand it and re-spray it.
+1

UV damage, oxidation, and wind erosion eat away at most wipers. I've taken the super cheap approach in the past and bought a can of flat black spray paint, lightly sanded as Allen suggested, then sprayed on a couple of coats. Usually lasts about two to three years before reapplication is necessary, which is hard to beat for a $1 can of paint and an hour or so worth of time.

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks, I'll give it a go. I already have some primer so I'll use that as well. I was just worried that it might not last very long and start looking like crap.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
I had a similar issues but I took a different, more costly approach... I sanded the surface and cleaned the dust. Apply by brush two coats of Rust Bullet rust inhibitor, and then two coats flat black paint from Home Depot.

I don't know how long this will last thought since it's only been a few months.

The Rust Bullet I already had but I had to buy the paint. I didn't do spray because I didn't want to have to mask of large areas.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
OK thanks, I'll give it a go. I already have some primer so I'll use that as well. I was just worried that it might not last very long and start looking like crap.
In Southern California weather a couple coats of flat black spray paint has lasted me 2-3 years before reapplication was necessary. Last time I did it on an Integra I owned and everyone kept asking me where I had it done...thinking it was professionally done....:lol:

BTW, save yourself some time and misery. I just lift the wipers up, drape drop cloths around the car, then put the wipers back down on the drop cloth. Paint it, then you're done. Fast, simple, and cheap, you can't beat that.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
My Grandpa spray painted my Wiper arms on the Cressida like over 10 years ago and it's held up not too bad. It's peeled off on certain areas and has kinda faded and gotten some rusty color on it, but it really doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1993 Corolla
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good tip TrailDust. I've got some old sheets and some newspaper I can use. I'll remove the blades as well. I imagine the weather in So Cal speeds up the deterioration. I'll be glad to get 3 to 4 years out of it.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
lol if you wanna go an extra mile, lightly sand it xD

which you dont need to. anyway, it's just a wiper arm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts