Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2018 camry se 2 months ago, I have an issue with wind noise from driver side.

I went to dealer service center, they couldn't fix it.....

Dealer said I am not the only who has wind noise issue....

Please share your experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same issue

My 2018 SE has the same issue with wind noise, it's not very loud, but it is still there and I hope Toyota will address it. My last two cars a civic and an accord had the same noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I seem to get it sometimes and sometimes I don't. Seems to occur around 60+MPH. Not sure if it is due to air swirling between the drivers side view mirror and the drivers sides glass/door, or if it is the weatherstripping. I haven't ridden much in my car as a passenger but when I did I didn't notice any noise on the passenger side of the car; anyone have the issue on both or just the passenger sides?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
None of the four 2018's I've rented had significant wind noise below 75 mph. Wind, road and passing traffic noise are all better suppressed on the 2018's compared to the 7th gen Camrys.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
6 Posts
I too have a 2018 XSE and get a pretty obnoxious wind noise over 40mph. It seems to be coming from the bottom corner of the glass on the B-Post side.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but I?m hesitant... is there any way to report it directly to Toyota?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same noise different thought as to what causes it

I have the 2018 Camry XSE and have the noise which seems to be above or around the drivers side door. After much help from friends, driving while I listened, I really don't think it's wind noise. It comes when speeds are above 45-50 depending on wind direction. Sometimes, you need to be going 60 or more if you have the wind at your tail. We could not hear any wind noise but rather with these conditions, it sounds like the metal skin of the car door is, for lack of better words, waving, making a sound dependent on speed and wind. I use to get this noise when I had a 2014 Camry and would go through a car wash when the roller or water was hitting the roof directly. I'm almost positive this is the noise. Even more sure now that we've had some very cold nights and usually one can tell if it's a wind leak by some condensation at the spot it's leaking. Tight as a drum
One of my friends thought the sound was like a loose strut, and although it did sound similar, we ruled that out.
Any thoughts?

I was washing the car today and when the hose water hit the hood, it made the sound I hear! So, I then gently would rap on the hood and you can hear this sound that I'm thinking is the noise I hear from the drivers side but only going fast enough that the wind is buffeting the car. I did put a piece of cloth under the hood (next to windshield) and it no longer made the noise. I just haven't driven it to see if that is the cause.
I'm hoping that's it and the noise just is heard by the drivers side window

·
Registered
42 Posts
2018 XLE, definitive and utterly annoying wind noise from what I assume would be the mirrors. Drivers side more obvious, even with a Bluetooth earpiece in my left ear, and if I lean over to the right, I can hear the same noise on the passenger side. At first I thought it was the door edge guards, but after moving my ear around, it is definitely air turbulence off the mirror.

It is annoying enough to where I am considering selling the car and getting something else. I ponied up for a car with leather and all the other luxury stuff for the first time ever, only to be greeted by a damn noise. My 2015 XE had no such wind noises.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wind noise

I just dropped off my XSE for the noise I've heard. I've determined it isn't wind noise (at least through windows) but finally I think it's been found. It's always on drivers side, and almost sounds like a 4 x 6 piece of sheet metal being waved up and down. Went underneath car and think it's either a heat shield or the plastic covering part of the undercarriage. Worst when going against wind, only when going over 40 and doesn't sound when going over bumps. So my problem may not be the same as yours. I'll let you know what is found out

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
95 Posts
If its affecting the SE and XLE those both have aluminum scuff plates. The LE has plastic scuff plates. Wonder if you were to compare an LE to this and see if the same noise is there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hope this helps. I had problem of unidentified noise at various highway speeds depending on wind direction. At first I thought it was window, then from wind buffeting the sheetmetal as well as some other thoughts. But, it was always coming from the drivers side, sounding around my left shoulder. It must have been transferred sounds as I got it fixed today. Looked at underneath the car and there is plastic pieces protecting certain areas of the under carriage. Not sure if they are heat shields or just to protect some parts, but either way, there was some give to these and when I would tape them it was loose enough to realize that wind buffeting underneath the car would cause noise. Dealer removed the plastic parts, insulated them and reattached, adding some strength. Took it out on road test and quiet as can be. I'm absolutely thrilled now that I don't have to stay under 45 mph. There is no sounds whatsoever. The shop did a great job. Again, hope this can help some people with the 2018 XLE or XSE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Camry V6 XSE

Same issue on a 2018 Camry V6 XSE. Took it to the dealership and the tech stated he test drove another vehicle, same make and model as mine and noticed the same noise. He stated when I bring the car in that I ask the tech to place my concern on the ticket. Not the answer I wanted to hear. I hope it's addressed, it's rather annoying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just picked up my new 2018 SE yesterday, and on the way home on the freeway I notice the same noise. Gopher, can you tell us what you learned about insulating the panels?

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE
6 Posts
Hey All,

So I’ve been to the dealership 3 times regarding the issue. The first two visits I was told that they couldn’t hear the noise, so they did nothing other than road test it.

The past visit they agreed to take the door apart after my salesman was able to hear the noise that the service manager could not. Upon opening the door they found that a gasket clip was undone and reattached it.

Sadly this did not fix the issue. Good news is they’re actually taking me seriously now that they found the clip issue on a 2 month old car.

I managed to record the noise and filter out a decent amount of the road noise itself so you can hear the air leak.

Here is the link to the audio file. You can really hear it around the 12s mark. Let me know if this is the same sound you guys were hearing.

- John

http://jwryandesign.com/jryan/WindNoise.m4a

1 - 20 of 151 Posts