Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hope this may help most of everyone on here

I had same issues with my 2018 SE and thought no resolution would ever come, checking mirrors, taping off the seams, holes gaps everywhere on car, found out none of that resolved issue.....

issue was on the front windshield molding that runs up pillar. there are clips that are veryyyyy flimsy and can only guess if improperly installed from factory or whomever, glass guy, bodyshop
they will fail to hold molding.... where it makes molding lift at over 40mph, allowing air underneath. check your windshield molding if your having a whistling sound. you wont think anything is wrong with it because it's still flush as normal under visual inspection. I attached some pics as well. after clips were reinstalled sound went away instantly
================
Interesting find!

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
Thanks. My noise come from driver side window, around left shoulder area. Took the car to the dealer today. Waiting on the answer.
Did the dealer found a solution? I hear mine on the same area. but i hear the noise stronger at the bottom area of the driver's windshield and the window frame. Pushing against the window did not change the noise so i am sure it not the window weatherstrip. I wonder if it is coming from the B pillar behind the plastic covers.

I checked the front windshield pillar plastic trim piece. I am able to lift the trim slightly with pressure and i see the clips mentioned but i don't think the trim is loose. Is the trim supposed to be tight and not move unless i apply a lot of pressure?

·
Official TN Member from Ontario, Canada
127 Posts
I bought 2018 camry se 2 months ago, I have an issue with wind noise from driver side.

I went to dealer service center, they couldn't fix it.....

Dealer said I am not the only who has wind noise issue....

Please share your experience.

Thanks
Just completed my second round-trip from Toronto to Boston/Orleans and was actually marvelling at how quiet the car was. No wind noise from any of the windows though I can fully appreciate that others are experiencing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been driving around with mechanic and couldn’t figure out where it comes from. Seems like to me like wind comes in around door handle area, thats why i hear it around shoulder area.

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
I had a chance yesterday night to do some more troubleshooting. I have a 1 mile straight road and around midnight there is no traffic so it was perfect. I used blue painter's tape and covered all around the front door gap except the bottom part. I drove the car and noise was still there. I taped around the mirror base, the exterior black triangle where it meets the window, the left front windshield trim piece and the noise was still there. I taped the door handle are completely sealing it and the noise was reduced but still there. At this point all parts of the door (with the exception of the bottom which i should had seal it as well) were taped and I was getting in the car via passenger door. One interesting finding was that a small piece of the tape came off partially by the black triangle piece and the flapping noise was very loud by the same area, around the B post at shoulder level.

I had a friend use a leaf blower while i was inside the car and go around the door frame. The wind noise was stronger when the leaf blower was aimed at the front door frame close to the B pillar at shoulder level. Not sure if it the weatherstrip seal is the issue.

I saw the post of a member mentioning the dealer insulated the driver's side plastic skid plate and it solved the issue. I will see if i can remove the skid plate and road test to hear if the noise is gone.

The noise is constant after 50 mph+. I can even hear the vehicles wind noise when the pass me driving on the opposite traffic lane. I am also sure there is some noise on the passenger side but I am not sure if it is only road noise. I will have someone drive the car.

I am going to take it to the dealership for service but based on what i am seeing in this forum i am not keeping my hopes up. I do drive on highway most of the time so it is pretty annoying. Sounds exactly like a window partially down and the air leaks. I got rid of 2001 truck that had 240k miles and it 100% quieter than this car. I do love it the Camry but hopefully we can get this wind noise issue fied and the slightly jerky transmission in the future.

I will update when I take for service soon.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,705 Posts
I bought 2018 camry se 2 months ago, I have an issue with wind noise from driver side.

I went to dealer service center, they couldn't fix it.....

Dealer said I am not the only who has wind noise issue....

Please share your experience.

Thanks
I had the same problem with my 2002 Avalon when new, but with my front passenger side door. Dealership looking to fix it on warranty declared there was no issue. Figures. I ended up buying a new door seal, installed it myself in a couple of minutes, and the wind noise problem was gone.

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2002 Avalon when new, but with my front passenger side door. Dealership looking to fix it on warranty declared there was no issue. Figures. I ended up buying a new door seal, installed it myself in a couple of minutes, and the wind noise problem was gone.
Really? Interesting. Which seal did you replaced? The actual door one of the one on the door opening?

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I took my car to the dealership for my oil change and tire rotation and mentioned the wind noise that I get from highway speeds but they simply told me it was from the side mirrors. Is this the same issue you guys are all experiencing? Or is it more of a whistling noise? Cause mine is more of a huge gushing noise but it still drives me up the damn wall and want to solve it cause it really disrupts the ride quality.

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
So I took my car to the dealership for my oil change and tire rotation and mentioned the wind noise that I get from highway speeds but they simply told me it was from the side mirrors. Is this the same issue you guys are all experiencing? Or is it more of a whistling noise? Cause mine is more of a huge gushing noise but it still drives me up the damn wall and want to solve it cause it really disrupts the ride quality.
It could be but in my case when vehicles pass me I can hear them like when the window is partially down, it sounds very clear. I believe either there is gap somewhere or these doors are not that good at blocking noise. When I am driving I can wind fluttering noise at different occasions. If it was road noise it will be consistent.

Some members got lucky and the issue has been resolved. I believe there is something that needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It could be but in my case when vehicles pass me I can hear them like when the window is partially down, it sounds very clear. I believe either there is gap somewhere or these doors are not that good at blocking noise. When I am driving I can wind fluttering noise at different occasions. If it was road noise it will be consistent.

Some members got lucky and the issue has been resolved. I believe there is something that needs to be corrected.
Yeah, I don't think we have the same issue then cause there's a 50/50 chance of hearing my wind noise issue or not and it only really happens at highway speeds and not so much from cars passing by. But it's not very consistent which is why I think the dealership didn't do much besides telling me it's normal cause they didn't experience it during their test run. But I soundproofed my doors shortly after purchasing my Camry so maybe that could be the solution for you. But obviously not everyone wants to spend the time and money and the added extra weight to their car to fix something that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I only have around 750 miles on mine, and the wind noise seems to have gotten very noticeable. I did not read all posts, did anyone look at the window track?

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
I finally got to the dealership today. They said is deemed normal. I told them is not since I rented a 2018 model fairly new for 2 weeks and did lots of highway miles. I never heard this annoying wind noise. The service rep told me that I am not alone but since they have deemed it normal there is no fix for it. I call BS on that. They did not even try. At least I got a car wash and only waited 30 mins.

I get back home and I started doing more troubleshooting. I used a mechanics stethoscope and around 60MPH+ I can hear the wind noise at the top left corner of the window close to the B post. The noise is there but not swirling wind noise. I continue to move the stethoscope as drive and I hear the loudest wind noise right where the small triangle piece is ,close to the mirror. I returned home and removed the interior triangle piece. I drove the car back and using the stethoscope again I can hear the wind noise LOUD and CLEAR. If i insert the tool's hose deeper into the opening of the door panel by the triangle area the wind noise gets even louder. I put my fingers in the hole opening i believe i felt the wind on the tips of my fingers.

I am going to remove the door panel next and check for any gaps or holes. If i find one I will seal it and test drive again. I will update my findings.

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
Today at work a friend helped using a leaf blower to locate wind noise. Using the mechanics stethoscope the wind noise is extremely loud at the black plastic triangle close to the window (which I already found out yesterday). He hit the area from a different angle and it was pretty consistent wind noise. We also checked the rest of the door. Top corner of the window close to the B post is another area of noise and from the bottom area of the door I can also hear some noise but it is more like resonant noise.

I am starting to believe that there is no hole or gap around the door causing an air leak. I think the noise I hear is due to poor insulation or very thin materials. I want to remove the outside plastic triangle piece and put some sound deadening material like Dynamat on both plastic pieces and the area where it sits on the door and add some foam insulation as well. I will update my findings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am starting to believe that there is no hole or gap around the door causing an air leak. I think the noise I hear is due to poor insulation or very thin materials. I want to remove the outside plastic triangle piece and put some sound deadening material like Dynamat on both plastic pieces and the area where it sits on the door and add some foam insulation as well. I will update my findings.
I will be interested in the findings...

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
I will be interested in the findings...
Well i tried some material but it does not help with the wind noise over 40 MPH. I guess i will join the rest of us with this issue. I am getting a second opinion about this on a different dealership but i am not expecting anything. Will see how long i can deal with this noise.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Accidents can cause even unibody vehicles to be thrown enough out of physical alignment that doors will not seal properly anymore. I've seen that in vehicles after accidents. In many cases mentioned in this thread, I'd guess the door gasket as well. Replace that and you'd likely solve your problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Today we had a storm in Phoenix and I was listening to where the wind noise was coming from since it was greatly enhanced by the high winds and I can 100% confirm mine is coming from the black triangle piece on the front bottom of the window as well. Not really too sure what to do about it since everything I could possibly think of everyone else in this thread has already tried.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fixed! The way I managed to fix my wind noise from the driver B-pillar upper corner was by bending outwards the rubber seal. See pics! Hopefully it fixes it for most of you having the same wind noise pollution.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Camry SE
141 Posts
Fixed! The way I managed to fix my wind noise from the driver B-pillar upper corner was by bending outwards the rubber seal. See pics! Hopefully it fixes it for most of you having the same wind noise pollution.
I tried your fix but it did not fix my noise. I am glad it worked for you.

I decided to try another dealership. They send the tech with me right away. The tech is not allowed to drive the vehicle in the highway... well that is the issue i have. So he sat on the passenger side and I tried to replicate the issue as much as i could. He couldn't hear it from the passenger's side. They agreed to replace the window run seal. It did not fix the issue. They told me to bring it back next week and they will continue to check.

I know a few members mentioned the front windshield trim clips. If this was the issue will the noise stop if I taped the trim piece and test drove it? I hear my noise mostly on the upper corner and lower corner of the B post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried your fix but it did not fix my noise. I am glad it worked for you........
My fix provided a drastic improvement but I still have wind noise coming through. Not enough to be super upset anymore. I have some other ideas at how to solve it, I'll continue to work on it.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts