Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously I had a 2008 Highlander Base and was very impressed with the quiet cabin and overall reliability of the car which prompted my decision to buy a new 2019 XLE. I really like the ride and all the many convenience features but I hate all the wind noise. I’ve even added additional door seals which did nothing to help which tells me that the problem is the design engineering of the outside components like mirrors or trim.
I expected this car to be really quiet but it is MUCH noisier than my previous 2008.
I did complain to the service writer at the local dealer and he was very dismissive and uninterested in finding the problem. So before I go back and demand a resolution I thought I would ask the forum for the answer or fix for the problem.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Previously I had a 2008 Highlander Base and was very impressed with the quiet cabin and overall reliability of the car which prompted my decision to buy a new 2019 XLE. I really like the ride and all the many convenience features but I hate all the wind noise. I’ve even added additional door seals which did nothing to help which tells me that the problem is the design engineering of the outside components like mirrors or trim.
I expected this car to be really quiet but it is MUCH noisier than my previous 2008.
I did complain to the service writer at the local dealer and he was very dismissive and uninterested in finding the problem. So before I go back and demand a resolution I thought I would ask the forum for the answer or fix for the problem.
Any ideas?
For what it’s worth I think I read on the forum here someone was told that it’s a design issue with the side view mirrors. We don’t have this problem at all with our 2017 Limited platinum.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have the 2019 XLE and from what I have experienced there is wind noise at highway speeds dependent on wind conditions, cross wind may induce more wind noise, I don't think I notice the wind noise all the time at those speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a wind deflector on the hood of my Highlander. It must help reduce the wind noise issue because I don't hear it. Sometimes at about 75 mph I can hear a low whistling sound, but it's barely audible, and I rarely drive that fast.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Any ideas?
Sorry for your problem but raising hell with the dealership or Toyota will not fix the problem. This has been a sporadic ongoing issue since 2016. Best bet is to search the forum and see what others have done to control noise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think there is a manufacturing issue affecting some cars. These reports are so inconsistent, and don't seem to be limited to any particular year or trim level.

My 2016 is very quiet at speed. There is a bit of wind noise, especially in crosswinds, but nothing atypical for quiet cars. The reports of noisy cars seem very different from that.

·
6,179 Posts
OK, do this.
Turn your AC full blast on Max setting. Fan highest speed possible.
Allow it to run few minutes like this, then start spraying soapy water along doors perimeter.
Anywhere you find bubbles forming, that's where door weatherstripping is not sealed as it should.
Video all areas you found. Take it to dealer and let them have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts