Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. I apologize for bringing this topic up again. I did read previous threads on this but hadn't seen much discussion since. Has anyone experiencing the excessive wind noise around side mirror area come up with a solution or any luck with the dealer on this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Drive with the wind at your back! Just kidding. I have a 15 with 3k miles on it now and 3 interstate road trips. I definitely noticed the wind noise at certain times and speeds but turning up George Strait on the crappy stereo will make you forget the wind noise! Tell me what you think about the seat heaters.

·
Registered
2014 Highlander
207 Posts
New to this forum. I apologize for bringing this topic up again. I did read previous threads on this but hadn't seen much discussion since. Has anyone experiencing the excessive wind noise around side mirror area come up with a solution or any luck with the dealer on this?
Have the same issue on my Ltd Platinum. Just had it in for service and they applied silicone to the front door seals which made no difference. Recently crossed a causeway with a steady wind coming across it at just about 90 degrees to the direction I was traveling and noticed the wind noise at the driver side was much louder when the wind was crossing the car from the passenger side than from the driver side. I discovered this by turning around and going back across and surprisingly it was quieter when the wind was directly hitting the driver side at 90 degrees to the car (explainable by the engineers I'm sure). Seems like those door seals just aren't firm enough to seal off the air completely? I've not tried the tape test that some have tried to isolate the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2008 highlander I traded in did not have the wind noise my 14' does. My Tundra is much quieter than the highlander. Maybe I was expecting too much. Navigator29, my opinion on the seat heaters is ok, they don't get real warm, but will work for us. The ventilated seats are a joke.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I came across a mini-revelation yesterday while on the freeway. If you smash your fingers in the space between the glass and the door all the way towards the mirror, the "leak" noise disappears completely. While you can definitely hear the wind around the car regardless, the "leak" sound goes away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm still looking for a definitive answer too. Just got back from a 600 mile road trip and the wind noise is excessive for a vehicle in this class...IMHO. The drivers side is worse, but the passenger side seems to have a hissing noise near the door handle. Don't know what to do. I was measuring between 75-80dB @77 MPH via Decibel 10th app on my iPhone.

-Eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still wondering if it's air leaking in or just an air turbulence noise. Mine is really hard to tell. I thought the windshield and front side windows were supposed to be an acoustic glass to help with noise transmission. My wife brought the wind noise to my attention since she drives it 95% of the time and she doesn't ever notice these things.

·
AvConsult
'02 Highlander V6
3,556 Posts
Any '15 HL owners on this thread to confirm or deny wind noise? I.e. has Toyota quietly confirmed the problem by tweaking the new model year in some way' i.e. revised door seals, door fabrication, etc?

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
I wish someone with an HL with this problem lived close to me.... I would love to see/hear firsthand what this wind noise sounds like.

I hear *some* wind noise, and yes - a good crosswind can make it worse... but I don't think any worse than anything else I have driven.

My father-in-law's Buick Enclave is quiet as I've heard..... EXCEPT that it has a consistant wind noise that seems to come in right by the driver's ear as you motor down the highway....

Today, I drove the wife's Chevy Malibu LTZ..... which has 18" wheels with low profile tires (factory setup) and then later tonight I hopped into the HL and had to take a package to UPS dropbox...... holy smokes... I felt like I was driving encased in a massive cotton-ball of quietness! The ride was SO much smoother that I am pretty sure a doctor could have successfully performed a circumcision in the back seat..... remember the old Ford Saturday Night Live skit? Check out the video link.... lol

https://screen.yahoo.com/royal-deluxe-ii-000000400.html

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wish someone with an HL with this problem lived close to me.... I would love to see/hear firsthand what this wind noise sounds like.

I hear *some* wind noise, and yes - a good crosswind can make it worse... but I don't think any worse than anything else I have driven.

My father-in-law's Buick Enclave is quiet as I've heard..... EXCEPT that it has a consistant wind noise that seems to come in right by the driver's ear as you motor down the highway....

Today, I drove the wife's Chevy Malibu LTZ..... which has 18" wheels with low profile tires (factory setup) and then later tonight I hopped into the HL and had to take a package to UPS dropbox...... holy smokes... I felt like I was driving encased in a massive cotton-ball of quietness! The ride was SO much smoother that I am pretty sure a doctor could have successfully performed a circumcision in the back seat..... remember the old Ford Saturday Night Live skit? Check out the video link.... lol

https://screen.yahoo.com/royal-deluxe-ii-000000400.html
I've had the same experience. Like I said in another recent post, everything is relevant! My old 2010 Venza with 20" wheels sounded like and rode like a Mack truck! My HL is very quiet. Took me awhile to realize I could carry on a conversation in a normal tone after driving the Venza for 4 years.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've had the same experience. Like I said in another recent post, everything is relevant! My old 2010 Venza with 20" wheels sounded like and rode like a Mack truck! My HL is very quiet. Took me awhile to realize I could carry on a conversation in a normal tone after driving the Venza for 4 years.

Sounds like our 2008 Honda Accord on the highway. With the noise and the headlights dimming on the highway--we traded her off rather quickly. Got a Camry Hybrid instead.

·
AvConsult
'02 Highlander V6
3,556 Posts
Back to semi-serious.

Being in the acoustics and noise control field, I will reiterate that it is a common problem for previously masked noises to be exposed once other noise has been mitigated. We have this issue with HVAC systems all the time; get rid of the low frequency rumble and now that metallic rattle that was previously masked can be heard and it is really irritating.

It's possible, that if one measured 1/3 octave band noise of a 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen, the 3rd Gen might have reduced low to mid-frequency road noise, especially with A20 tires (see other posts) or maybe the Michelin Latitudes, though others have complained of them being noisier on the 3rd Gen. This would leave high frequency noise to be more pronounced. While maybe not higher is absolute level than a 2nd Gen, it might be more prominent to the ear.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Sounds like our 2008 Honda Accord on the highway. With the noise and the headlights dimming on the highway--we traded her off rather quickly. Got a Camry Hybrid instead.
What year Camry did you get and how do you like the Hybrid? What kind of hwy mileage are you getting, and are there any downsides that are annoying? Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
What year Camry did you get and how do you like the Hybrid? What kind of hwy mileage are you getting, and are there any downsides that are annoying? Thanks!

We got the 2012 Camry XLE. My wife loves it. Nothing negative to say about it other than the cost of a new battery if/when needed. We routinely get 38 mpg in town. That is where my wife does most of her miles so it works out great. To be honest we have never gone on a long road trip in our Camry except to the mountains of Colorado. We got 43 mpg on that roundtrip. We only have 13,000 miles on it as of now.

The Camry is definitely not as refined as say the new Accord or the new Mazda 6 but it suits us nicely and it has performed flawlessly just as the other 5 Camry's we have owned over the years.

·
Registered
'14 4Runner Trail Ed
515 Posts
Yes, everything is relevant--I agree 100%. Toyota's wind/road noise issues actually started in 1995 when Toyota first decided to "de-content" their vehicles (a.k.a. cost-cutting), starting with the then-new Tacoma pickup, and following with 1-2 vehicles per model year.

On the Tacoma, Toyota went from a three-part door seal (in 1994) to a single door seal, which made for a VERY noisy cabin. Yes, we owned one for a few months, but it was so full of other problems--that couldn't be fixed--that our dealer took it back and gave us a T100 (now Tundra) instead, which still had the 3-part door seals.

Our current 2010 Lexus RX350 (our HLP is on order) and our 2014 4Runner have two door seals, one on the door and one on the door frame, which makes them reasonably quiet. Perhaps Toyota has learned a small lesson to not go overboard on cost-cutting, as it makes customers unhappy to get a noisy vehicle. Honda has yet to learn that lesson, as newer Hondas are horribly noisy at freeway speeds. Honda has even added electronic "noise-cancellation systems" to any vehicles that have a VCM system (due to the drone) on the V6 engine, which is now all Hondas with V6s.

Two additional, potential wind noise "generators" are the window seals and the the seals around the outside rear-view mirrors.

If our new HLP suffers from wind noise after we take delivery, you can bet that I will get to know the folks in the Service Dept. very well, as I truly hate noisy vehicles, especially when you pay over $40K for one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stopped by my dealer today and talked to the service manager about a couple issues with my 14' highlander. One including the excessive wind noise. He gave me another 14' highlander to drive. The wind noise was exactly the same, and from the same areas. That makes two other highlanders I have driven with same result. Unfortunately I'm thinking this is the way it's going to be. I'm bringing mine to them to have them do a software update on radio to hopefully fix the sound settings from randomly resetting and see what they think of the wind noise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I stopped by my dealer today and talked to the service manager about a couple issues with my 14' highlander. One including the excessive wind noise. He gave me another 14' highlander to drive. The wind noise was exactly the same, and from the same areas. That makes two other highlanders I have driven with same result. Unfortunately I'm thinking this is the way it's going to be. I'm bringing mine to them to have them do a software update on radio to hopefully fix the sound settings from randomly resetting and see what they think of the wind noise.
Thanks for the update, Toy80. Please share what you dealer thinks about the wind noise and any potential fix.

-Eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got a call from the service manager at my dealer. He had the regional toyota rep drive a highlander that has the wind noise. (One I have driven to confirm the noise) Rep said he had heard of this noise before. Told service manager to hang tight. Don't know what that means but my service manager said he will contact me when he hears something. By the way the service manager says he does hear the wind noise and thinks it's excessive. Rep tried giving him " it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle speech " So we will see what if anything comes out of it. Rep only visits monthly so I wouldnt hear anything for at least that.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts