Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off hi. My name is Greg and I own a blue 09 S. I was an engineer at a Toyota NAMC for 3.5 years and currently work for a core autoparts manufacturer within Toyota Motor Corp.

I have searched the posts, which does not mean I might have overlooked, for 2 issues.

It is very windy here and one day at a stop light I heard a whistling sound. The source is from the back of the car maybe the taillights. Has anyone else heard this? It has occurred several times. No way am I taking it back to the dealer. I was in the interior group and past experience is repair at dealers can lead to other issues unless the details/location have been pinpointed. It is almost impossible for the dealer to verify a repair for something like noise. Especially if only occurring at certain conditions.

Why do my rims have an infinity symbol on the center? Another engineer at work has an older Camry w/ the same symbol. Is it possible to replace with Toyota symbol? I have not taken the rims off to look.

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
I think there are some post somewhere about wind noise at the back. I think the dude pulled down the head liner or trim from the hatch and used some soundproofing on it, or it might just have been the window trims causing it.

Regarding the infinity symbol. I think you will find that you have alloy wheels made by Enkei yes? that's their symbol..... :welcome:

http://www.enkei.com/

Also check out this thread for info on wind noise:
http://matrixowners.com/?showtopic=76428

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there are some post somewhere about wind noise at the back. I think the dude pulled down the head liner or trim from the hatch and used some soundproofing on it, or it might just have been the window trims causing it.

Regarding the infinity symbol. I think you will find that you have alloy wheels made by Enkei yes? that's their symbol..... :welcome:

http://www.enkei.com/
The wind gust here change like the weather, everyday. Actually blew the safety glasses off my head last week. I am sure it is in a channel in the back. The occurrence would be near if not impossible to recreate at the dealership.

Thanks for the info on the rims. They came on my Matrix from the dealer. Do you know if it can be switched out or would I have to get new rims?

Thanks for the welcome!

Greg

·
Registered
09 Matrix Xr
3 Posts
You know, i was just about to post something like this. I've been getting that whistling noise for the last week. after a big snow fall and a deepfreeze, and me having to open the tailgate and closing it. It never acted up before that, but now it is. When ur in the car you can hear it, i walked outta my house and i heard it once or twice too. not sure what it is

·
Registered
09 Toyota Matrix XR
162 Posts
Do you have a picture? I have the 17' and mine is just a Toyota symbol.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Matrix XR
162 Posts
Oh I never seen thoes. They are an option?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I noticed the wind noise on my car as well. I was standing behind my car one day and heard it. I think it's the way the wind hits the rear spoiler...

·
keeping it clean
2009 Matrix S
114 Posts
lol at people noticing wind noise. yes, the rear is very funky looking and i wouldnt be surprised if the crazy protruding taillights are the culprit. the trade-off for a funky looking car is wind noise... i can live with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts