Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2016 Highlander XLE from a used car dealer last year and I'm looking to alter the window tint on the rear hatch. It's incredibly dark and makes driving at night a challenge with the rearview mirror.
The tint is dark enough that at certain times of day you might not realize cars are behind you if their lights are off.

This is what the border of the tinting material looks like. The overall tint job is superb, no bubbles.

My questions are...
1) Is this a factory tint job (Priv Glass-Rr Side, Qtr & Hatch Wndws)?
2) Will the rear window be tinted glass if I remove the over-layed tint product on the hatch window?

From Toyota's website, this is what putting my VIN in produced:
UV Windshield; Priv Glass-Rr Side, Qtr & Hatch Wndws,

No, I'm not really concerned that the tint will be different on the back compared to the sides. I'm a function over form kinda person. I need better visibility when using the rear view mirror.

Thanks,
-Pat

·
イリジウム
13,708 Posts
You can get a tint shop to remove that film and then decide what level of tint you want on there, if any.

3M Crystalline or similar ceramic films also do better at heat rejection.

·
Registered
351 Posts
OP, they did a crap job on cutting the tint! It is possible to DIY tint removal, but the removal cost is not that bad, ~$25, in my area.

You'll want to get a quality tint film. Ceramic tint films are an excellent choice. AVOID DYED Tint films! They will turn purple in a few years.

·
Registered
359 Posts
LoL @ that tint job. I've removed tint myself before and also have paid a shop in the past. Personally if I had to do it now, I'd go with paying a shop to save time and hassle.

·
イリジウム
13,708 Posts
Yeah that does look very DIY, at least there's no bubbling. As other said, I'd let a shop do the removal. Cheap enough. One member tried self removal and the film delaminated into two layers. Not worth the hassle.

Ceramic has better heat rejection, so I think that would work out better. 3M's Crystalline doesn't go as dark however, but IMO would still be a better choice for pano/moon roofs. 3M ColorStable uses nano-carbon particles and not dyes in case cost is more of a consideration.

All reputable brands like 3M offer lifetime warranty on their films.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, everyone!
I haven't looked into the actual tint options out there, but I will now based on the difference mentioned. Heat rejection is huge desire (Phoenix area).

·
Limited
1,932 Posts
You can get very light ceramic film to put on your privacy glass and you shouldn't have any problems seeing out at night.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Just check with your state first. Many states (like NH) have laws on what how dark a tint can be...and only the windows behind the driver can be tinted. Don't want to spend the money and then have to take it off.

·
イリジウム
13,708 Posts
Not sure if yours has the rear defogger option. If so the tint sticks to them, and careless slashing and removal can rip and break the connectivity of the defogger heater wires.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The rear window defogger is at risk when removing tint off from it.
... careless slashing and removal can rip and break the connectivity of the defogger heater wires.
Thus the need for "Professional" paid labor at a tint shop, or careful DIY removal of tint.
DIY is possible but a PITA! You would need to research DIY removal carefully as there are a lot of crap advice/videos. If you can afford $25-$30 (guestimated cost for a tint shop to do it), it will be money well spent. The tint shops will use a directional steamer and a heat gun to soften the adhesive for "easy" removal. A razor or similar tool made of plastic, will be used to get an edge lifted, to start the removal process. No damage to the rear defroster whatsoever will happen if the worker is competent. Sure you could buy the equipment (its not expensive) and attempt it, but I'd be left w/ the steamer that I realistically will never use again, and will have spent a lot of time that I could have been doing something else more enjoyable, to simply save $30 paid labor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts