Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my windows tinted with 3M Crystalline at The Tint Shop in Great Neck, NY. I was impressed by 3M's claim of 95% blockage of infrared rays and something like 40% reduction in overall heat; much like my old Mercedes' special tinted glass claims. And unlike the Mercedes' glass that blocks laser and EZ pPass signals, this tint does not block anything electronic!
He did a fantastic job and is a good businessman. My first quotes were above $750 but The Tint Shop had a discounted $580 price. When I asked, he said that 3M currently had a buy 1, get 1 roll free promo for him so he decided to pass on the savings to his clients. There are only 3 licensed 3M installers here and the other installers in Long Island gave him a hard time about this...hey, I liked it. Additionally, somehow, there was a piece of lint trapped in a corner of the rear window that showed up under the tint film. I went over to see if he could fix it and he decided to remove it and install a new one in the rear window. Nice!
I'm going back to have a front end clear bra installed because New York roads simply chew up painted front bumpers and front ends with all the road debris that traffic kicks up.
[URL=http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s515/jcoop123/?action=view&current=tinting.mp4][/URL]

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the tint and clear bra installed on my TCH, too. It has been very helpful in reducing the heat in the car as it is getting hotter out here in So. Cal. The ventureshield on my fog lights helped to keep the light bulb from getting broken when a rock hit it. The glass was shattered under the film but, the light still works. But, with the broken glass getting "mushy" I have ordered a replacement for the unit.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Did you put clear bra on part of the hood too? My guy said maybe just the bumper and lights, I guess. I might have it done in a couple of days.

$400 Ouch...

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So with clear bra on you'll never can wax your car ?
Just wash ?
How long will you keep clear bra on ?
Oz, You know, I really don't know about that...I'll have to ask. Don't know if it's the same as or similar to clear static cling vinyl sheets. I had them on other cars and I never waxed on top of it. I would think it replaces the protective property of wax...but a thicker film over the paint.

I should be able to keep that bra on for a couple of years at least...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Clear Bra

Did you put clear bra on part of the hood too? My guy said maybe just the bumper and lights, I guess. I might have it done in a couple of days.

$400 Ouch...
I had the film put on the front bumper, about 17 inches of the hood (measured at the centerline) and the front fenders along the same line, headlights, fog lights, mirrors and door edges. No film on the windshield for me, though he could have done that too. 3M 35% tint on the sides and rear windows. All for $690 in So. Cal.

Supposedly, the film on the headlights will protect it from yellowing. We will see. Still need to wax the film to provide a layer of protection. But use a liquid wax as the paste is not right for the film.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice tint job, but kinda pricey IMHO
I thought that at first because a standard tint job would only be about $160 to $200 but the 3M claim to the heat reduction and almost total filtration of infrared snared me in...we shall see if this was a wise investment this summer.:facepalm:

I decided to bag the clear bra...I found a big sheet of clear static cling vinyl so I'll cut pieces and do it myself. Also, the estimated cost of a new bumper (unprimed) is under $200! So, $400 should cover a new replacement bumper if it comes to that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Clear Bra? Do it yourself?

My car came with a protective shield (3M) on the hood (10 inches or so) the door handles, the doors (1/4 inches on the ends of the doors. However, I can tell you that this car sits low on the road and you will get dings in the bumper. I have a couple already (White Car). I see that eBay and others sell the 3M product for the bumper only or a total kit for the full front of the car, etc.

Has anyone installed this type of bra by themselves and if so can you pull it back if you get a bubble or possibly go crooked?

I edited this after finding this website that has them. Also a how to video online. Looks easy? See Website

http://www.invisiblemask.com/?gclid=CI2Wm7i_jLACFalgTAodmTUWrQ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.