Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting my windows tinted...for those of you who have tinted windows, is there anything I should know or any sales tricks I should look out for? How much did y'alls tinting cost?
I plan on getting about 30% for 5 back windows, not sure bout the windshield yet, since it usually doesnt come with a warranty

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thats a much better price than wut ive heard of...i know there arent alot of nationwide chains of stores that offer tinting, but where did u get urs done?

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
$169 for 35% Metalized Tint on 4 windows with 20% on the rear. Then I had a visor strip put on the windshield for $16, that one is limo %. Went to MoonShadow.

·
On The Street
268 Posts
$100 usd for 3% limo tint on five windows. and a windshield strip.

what u should know: you cant lower your windows for a week, and cant have your a/c on high.

·
On The Street
268 Posts
prolly is..........
but in vegas it gets really sunny and when the sun shine threw the windshield it looks like i have sum where between 15-20%.
cops havent said anything about it ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Three small tips: 1) check your state law in regards to darkness levels for front and rear side windows. Most states do not allow any tint on the windshield. 2) If you're going with metallic tint, it may affect reception with your radio if the antenna's imprinted on the rear glass. 3) Tint has a slight affect on the performance and sensitivity of radar dectectors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Check which name brand of tint your local shops use. I have 3M 20% on five windows. Real nice stuff. About $200 Canadian.

Gene

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
One word of advise... don't tint the windshield. Your visibility will be reduced as much as 60% on rainy days or under fog, besides that and depending on the quality of the film this may become "scratched" after a while after windshield cleaning and will seriously degrade your visibility at night.

Also, have in mind that window tint will appear to be much darker or lighter depending on the color of upholstery; light colored upholstery will make the tint look much lighter because it will reflect much more the light that gets inside the car, while dark upholstery will make it look darker because dark colors tend to absorb light

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
that is pretty interesting reading on all these stuff. I was thinking about tints as well 35% on the rear windows and back seats.

What i found interesting was the whole A/C thing and putting your windows down for a week. I think thats a regional thing. Because your in NV its really hotter there thing a pose to a place like oregon where its colder.

whats the tint % on the moonroofs of gen 3 camry's i would like that all around.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Here were I live we have a permanent 26-29 C weather and usually after installing the tint they usually tell you not to roll down the windows in 3 days witch is enough under this kind of weather, so your results may varye according to your climate

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow - thanks for all the comments yall - its definitely helped. I'm gonna hate leaving my windows rolled up cuz i'm a smoker...i always roll down my windows to smoke. :(

·
On The Street
268 Posts
What i found interesting was the whole A/C thing and putting your windows down for a week. I think thats a regional thing. Because your in NV its really hotter there thing a pose to a place like oregon where its colder.
from what the guy that did my tint told me was the reason for not lowering ur windows and having ur a/c on high is because it can ruin ur tint since it is done on the inside. im assuming it can leave it hazy or bubbly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i wanna stay legal with it so i'm thinkin the 35% metalized tint all around. I've heard people saying that the 1/4 pane behind the rear side windows is hard to do...has anybody had trouble getting that one done?

·
Princess Leadfoot
659 Posts
^^ If they're saying it's hard to do then they're not professionals... and you'd want to get a reputable place doing it unless you're fond of the bubbly look....

And don't forget to tint the sunroof if you have one!

·
On The Street
268 Posts
are you gonna do it yourself??

edit: i also agree with Snow White IS. take your business some where else. to where they can do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts