Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live out in Tucson where there is a lot of dirt and dust. Lately my driver side window has been sounding like nails on a chalkboard when it reaches the top when I am rolling it up. Can't figure out where exactly its coming from, or how to clean it.

Also, the other day, it started to roll up super slow.. about 1/2 to 1/4th the normal speed. The next day it returned to normal speed, but it still sounds like its struggling / grinding. Any ideas? Hints?

Also, I saw a fix for window rattle, but that was for when the window was down a few inches. It sounds like something in my window/door area rattles even when the window is up all the way.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just a thought, if your windows are tinted, possibly the tint installer didnt put back your window correctly. I have been putting the tint off personally on my truck . Not gunnna pay anyone to rip my door panels off and pull my windows out. In your case, it's at least worth pulling the door panel off and inspecting it. My guess is that the tracks need to be cleaned and lubed if nothing else. But there is a chance that the motor is going out. Check the switch. Voltage drop and continuity or follow the proper diagnosis procedures, which I cant help out with. Just a thought though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive thought about taking the door panel off. Is it relatively simple?

I do have window tinting. It was performed by the dealership I bought it from 3 years ago (although the front windows don't have much tinting for legal reasons... wish I could have gone darker)

Ill have to get a voltage meter to try the other suggestion.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is not easy to pull the panel off if you have never done it. If you have done it on any other vehicle in the last decade, you should be ok if you take it slow. Careful not to break the clips, and most of all the window switch connector or damage the wires. Proper tools will be needed as well. eg... door panel clip remover tool/#2phillips/electrical needle nose/small flatblade/angled needle nose/etc. All pretty much needed.

I also take no responsibility for whatever happens if you do go ahead and decide to remove the panel yourself. If you feel uncomfortable for any reason, might be good idea to take it to a technician. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
Taking off the panel is an easy two minute job.

With a very small screwdriver or something, carefully (plastic is very soft) pry open the screw covers in the door handles near the tweeter and the armrest, and remove the two phillips screws. Pry up the front of the switch panel, pull it out and disconnect the connector. Push in the center of the pin located at the upper front corner of the door, and remove this. With your fingers, pry off the triangular black panel above this pin, inboard of the mirror. Now immediately pinch and pull out those little white clips that were left in the door behind that panel, and install them on the tabs on the panel itself. Now pull out sharply on the bottom of the door panel with your fingers, starting at the front corner. It will be hard the first time. When all pins are released, the panel will lift upwards off the ledge near the window. Now you just have to take off the plastic and remove the screws on the access hole cover.

Installation is the reverse. To install that little pin in the top front, push the center pin back through so it sticks out the top, install the pin in the panel, and push the center pin flush.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have found that to keep the windows moving quickly and quietly the tracks need to be cleaned and lubed with silicone lubricant.

·
Can hold his own
2009 Tacoma AC
135 Posts
^ Yeah, my windows were getting slow after a year and I put garage door spring lube down each track and now they work like a dream.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Just a thought, if your windows are tinted, possibly the tint installer didnt put back your window correctly. I have been putting the tint off personally on my truck . Not gunnna pay anyone to rip my door panels off and pull my windows out. In your case, it's at least worth pulling the door panel off and inspecting it. My guess is that the tracks need to be cleaned and lubed if nothing else. But there is a chance that the motor is going out. Check the switch. Voltage drop and continuity or follow the proper diagnosis procedures, which I cant help out with. Just a thought though.
Who are you going to have tint your windows???? :confused:

None of the vehicles I have had tint installed on have had to have the door panels removed to install the tint. If your tint installer says he needs to remove the panels to complete the job, find a new installer that actually has a clue what they are doing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
reply to 08 offroad

I have had it done both ways. I have personally done it myself both ways. Not on my current truck. Its better to take the window out. IMO of corse and to each his own. Professional tint installer, lol. Thats actually pretty funny. I guess i just know too many. And professionals they are not. Its illegal here anyway, but i hav lived in AZ. Same thing. Professional tint installer, lol like the dealership sells you on an alarm and has some hack, AKA " professional" alarm installer crimping wires and breaking things to install a piece of shit alarm Or tint your windows. Im not buyin it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts