Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my car windshield fluid symbol lighting up since couple of days Is it bad driving without windshield fluid and can you suggest a good windshield fluid for all seasons especially for winters.

I appreciate your reply.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,575 Posts
OP, you don't show a state, so can't tell if "winter" means -40F or +40.

But for our winters, which can go to -10F, the Rain-X orange stuff is our family favorite. Pretty much year round, but I'll throw in their green summer stuff April to Aug.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OP, you don't show a state, so can't tell if "winter" means -40F or +40.

But for our winters, which can go to -10F, the Rain-X orange stuff is our family favorite. Pretty much year round, but I'll throw in their green summer stuff April to Aug.
I am from New Jersey, It's same around here too. But right now the fluid seems to be bluish in color is it ok? if i use some other fluid which is yellow :)

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,085 Posts
my favorite is Rain-X stuff, now running green one for summer (de-bugger), in Winter I throw in any blue one down to -20F i can find, not always Rain-X (which I prefer, but cannot always get it when needed).

I can't remember now, but i think one of cheapest blue (some grocery store shit brand) was very stinky, you could get high from smelling it in cabin ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought this and filled the wind shield wiper fluid pump and it filled it to full, but i could still see the windshield light glowing in the panel, does it take sometime, why is it still glowing?

How much liquid does it take, i mean capacity of the pump.?

Any ideas :)

I throw this in all year round. Awesome stuff:

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,085 Posts
I bought this and filled the wind shield wiper fluid pump and it filled it to full, but i could still see the windshield light glowing in the panel, does it take sometime, why is it still glowing?

How much liquid does it take, i mean capacity of the pump.?

Any ideas :)
once empty it will take almost full bottle like that. i usually fill it up to the top end of "filler neck".
if your washer fluid level warning stays on , then i would say your sensor is shot (floating magnet is permanently making contact with sensor).
I happen to have exact same symptom, but I have installed this sensor today and made a stupid mistake by putting it upside down, so magnet is always making contact (instead of floating in some distance from the sensor...).

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
In my car windshield fluid symbol lighting up since couple of days Is it bad driving without windshield fluid and can you suggest a good windshield fluid for all seasons especially for winters.

I appreciate your reply.

What symbol...?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
he refers to dashboard warning light (instrument cluster on far right) for low washer fluid.
Must be a gen 4 thing. :rolleyes: I got REALLY scared that he was talking about the low oil pressure light. :lol:

·
Registered
855 Posts
my favorite is Rain-X stuff, now running green one for summer (de-bugger), in Winter I throw in any blue one down to -20F i can find, not always Rain-X (which I prefer, but cannot always get it when needed).

I can't remember now, but i think one of cheapest blue (some grocery store shit brand) was very stinky, you could get high from smelling it in cabin ;)

Rain-X hands down. Some will argue it leaves a wax residue that is hard to clean off. (I don't know what kinda rain-x those people use but I have never had a problem)

Pink Rain-X is the best one for summer
Green Rain-X is second best. I think they use the green to replace the pink. Cuz pink is harder and harder to find.
Yellow Rain-X is for winter use (-40 degrees). If you want all year round go with the Yellow

From experience and many many free Rain-X bottles, Pink is the best at sheeting the windshield with rain repellant. It helps alot when travelling at higher speeds (80 km/h) or more as the rain repells straight up. Yellow is a bit weaker since there is more alcoholic substance to keep from freezing.

Choose wisely cuz Jersey winters are not pretty and if you have the PINK stuff in there below 0 degrees... you better whip out the hairdryer lol

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,085 Posts
Rain-X hands down. Some will argue it leaves a wax residue that is hard to clean off. (I don't know what kinda rain-x those people use but I have never had a problem)

Pink Rain-X is the best one for summer
Green Rain-X is second best. I think they use the green to replace the pink. Cuz pink is harder and harder to find.
Yellow Rain-X is for winter use (-40 degrees). If you want all year round go with the Yellow

From experience and many many free Rain-X bottles, Pink is the best at sheeting the windshield with rain repellant. It helps alot when travelling at higher speeds (80 km/h) or more as the rain repells straight up. Yellow is a bit weaker since there is more alcoholic substance to keep from freezing.

Choose wisely cuz Jersey winters are not pretty and if you have the PINK stuff in there below 0 degrees... you better whip out the hairdryer lol
ah gotcha. so there is no blue Rain-X ? hmm, maybe I have never used Winter formula of Rain-X yet ...
anyways, will give a shot to Yellow Rain-X this Winter :)

thanks or the tip on Pink Rain-X, haven't seen it, but will look around. from your description it pretty much behaves like the Rain-X windshield wax spray (repels water upwards when driving over 45mph or so).

·
Noob :(
1999 Toyota Camry LE
67 Posts
Just thinking about how I'm going to need to change windshield wiper fluid soon.. how would I go about draining what's in there right now since it's not appropriate for winter?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Just thinking about how I'm going to need to change windshield wiper fluid soon.. how would I go about draining what's in there right now since it's not appropriate for winter?
Siphon it out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
ah gotcha. so there is no blue Rain-X ? hmm, maybe I have never used Winter formula of Rain-X yet ...
anyways, will give a shot to Yellow Rain-X this Winter :)

thanks or the tip on Pink Rain-X, haven't seen it, but will look around. from your description it pretty much behaves like the Rain-X windshield wax spray (repels water upwards when driving over 45mph or so).
Yea we have Pink in Canada. I have seen it at Targets in New York before but I have never seen Blue Rain-X. Maybe its a USA thing.

Also the PINK Rain-X has Bug remover as a summer fluid. Green has it also.

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,085 Posts
keep spraying it on the windshield, you will nicely wash it as well ;)
it shouldn't take more than a few minutes of constant spraying to make it mpty ;)

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,085 Posts
just visited the local walmart's and they stock only the orange rain-X which is a 2-in-1 mixture of winter formula (-25F) and bug remover.
in autozone on the other hand they had only the green rain-X (bug remover, summer formula)...

i think the pink one is a goner.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,575 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts