Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my windshield replaced a few months ago.

At first i didn't realize it. but then when i start driving school (i drive at night from toronto to waterloo) it seemed to fog up EXTREMELY easily/fast/more so than my original windshield.

when you look from the outside, while every other windows is still very clear, it is very obvious windshield is really fogged up.

It just seems as if it's fogging up when it shouldn't. i would be driving down the road. stop at a light. my windshield is all fogged up. but all the other cars look fine

Once I was driving my friend and even he commented on how easily/fast my windshield fogged up.

I'm wondering, does it just require some cleaning? (both inside/outside) or are there sprays or something that can prevent this? or is it just that i got a crappy quality windshield?

it becomes a REAL pain that i have to turn on the defogger and turn up the heat in the summer (when it's sometimes 30degrees outside) full blast to get it to defog.

plus it gets to be a hazard since several times, i just can't see anything. (thankfully i drive at night when there is less cars)

i have no idea how much this replacement windshield cost as my dad paid for it and he is out of the country. But I am really getting annoyed at this problem

if replacing the windshield again is the only option, is there a specific manufacturer or type of windshield to buy?

or is this just normal?

thanks.

(sorry, i'm a complete noob)

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Sounds like you have a blocked drain pipe around the air intake for your ventilation. Second place to check is under your dash.
Might even be your heating conduits leaking coolant. Damp carpets?

Any odors? I doubt its the windshield if it keeps happening, unless they did a real suck ass job. If they didnt do it right, go back and complain. They should fix it with no cost.

Prevention of fogging through use of some commercial product is not a fix, get to the root. This is not the way to go. RainX used to have a product but I didn't like it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm.. well. the reason the windshield got replaced was because the latch for the hood wasn't secure and well. on the highway.. it just kind of smashed it... and since the fogging wasn't a problem before. i just thought it might be windshield.

i don't notice any damp carpets. as for odours. once in a while i smell gas or something.

also, i think it is too late to get windshield replaced from warranty because i got it replaced in dec. (and since winter fogging is more normal, i didn't notice as much)

but i'll check about the drain pipes/heating conduits thing

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
If you had your hood came over the top and blew your w/shield out, I think its more of a fitment issue. As your hood torqued, it probably pulled some of your bodywork out of shape.

Still it's your dime if you want to ask the repair shop if they will do anything or not. Doesn't cost to ask.

Hope you find the leak. Cheers

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea. the prob is i don't want to spend money to get it repaired at a shop if not necessary. I guess i'll try n look into some of the things you mentioned later this weekend
thnks

·
Registered
324 Posts
My Camry fogs up really easily, I try to make sure I have the vents set so that I'm getting air from the outside into the cabin. If you're simply re-circulating the air in the cabin, it will fog up quickly.

HTH -

DJ

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea. i always have the vents getting air from the outside since i don't have ac and the air outside is colder than the air inside about.. 99% of the time

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
Just a thought, but when I first got my Gen 5, the windshield and back glass fogged up badly. After trying to clean them a bunch of times with window cleaner (To no avail) I used some regular dish detergent and water, and SCRUBBED them inside and out. (Careful about gettin it on your wax job!!! Dish soap WILL remove wax!) Seems there was some kinda oily residue or road crap on them. Made it ALOT better for me anyways. I dont like rainx because it leaves a kind of oily 'rainbow' effect on the glass in certain light conditions.
Could be that you dont have a complete seal around the new glass making 'cold spots' (?)
Good luck
MCTOY

·
Registered
67 Posts
in any situation where you have foggy windows, if you turn on the air conditioning (you don't have to have it set at cold, it can be hot and a/c is on) it will take the moisture out of the air and it will get rid of your foggy windows without you having to put any of the windows down.

it works, trust me! if it doesn't, i'll give you your money back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'll have to try all these things on the weekend...

however.. um... what if my air conditioner doesn't work to begin with? does turning it on w/ hot air still work?

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Yea my windshield usually fogs like crazy, but that is just because of my hot breath, and the cold air outside.

I really have to work on that.:disappoin

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok... i tried cleaning the windshield.. i'll have to see if that helped or not...

but i noticed something new... my windshield has several weird 'spots' that don't seem to come off? u can see them on both inside and outside... after i wipe them.. they come back? they are kind of like.. dots? that's as best i can explain them... anyone know what those are?

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
Yeah,
That sounds like what mine had. Kinda looked like something dripped, or ran down the glass. You could really see the 'spots' when the wiper was on. Like right behind the wiper, where the glass was still ...um...'moist' I guess you'd call it. Scrubbin' the crap outta it with the dish soap helped alot. What you are describing MIGHT be fingerprints (with the windshield sealant) from the installer (?):confused: You could try wiping the glass with mineral spirits, then washing them with the detergent afterwards.
MCTOY

·
Banned
352 Posts
my ac hose was clogged last year and my windshied would get fogged up alot u definatley wanna get that checked out cause if doesnt get unclogged water will start flooding the interior of your car thats what happened to me and then u gotta buy new carpeting which is very expensive i paid 500 from toyota , that included my discount but its normally like 700 plus anothrer 300 to install but its realy easy to install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts