Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Does anyone have any suggestions to how to fix this? Are windshield repair kits usable (suggestions for them?) or will I have to replace the whole windshield? :(

The impact point itself is actually really tiny (it's just the whiter part on the upper-left of the crack) but the force caused it to spread :mad:. Now I know not to stick my head out the window while driving.. would hurt if it hit me :eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
As long as there is room to work on both sides of windshield the glass company techs can seal it up and it will be fine. I would not attempt repair.

You may be able to put it on insurance claim (your results may vary)

Once it starts to crack across then it will be too late.

CW

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
I doubt that can be fixed dude.. I would talk to your insurance agent if you have a decent policy, you might just pay the deductible. Or find one of those places that sell imperfect windshields and get one put on.. you could probably get one for cheaper than the deductible the insurance company will nail you with. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
as long is the total crack is not bigger than a quarter it is repairable. What a autoglass person would do to repair it is put some sorta glue/empoxy to stop the spread of the crack, if the crack is on the drivers side sight line, its illegal in most states and requires repair/replacement of the whole windsheild

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Actually now that I think about it.. that picture was up close.. :lol:

·
In Ur MOM's Pants
2,883 Posts
get a shot of that from far away so we can really see how bad it is

and dont go throught insurance.. windshield arent expensive and theres no point in letting insurance companies know bout small thing

they will use it against U no matter what they say

·
Registered
'81 Corolla wagon
77 Posts
By law Minnesota companies have to have full glass coverage. I guess it's to encourage people not to drive around with cracked glass. In fact, I believe it is not legal to have a cracked windshield at all, but I'm not sure how strict they are about this if it's a small one out of your field of view. In fact, I don't think they're strict at all, not with the major cracks I've seen in some windshields. I had even heard somewhere that the insurance companies will replace your glass if you argue it's just so old that it's not safe due to microscopic pits obscuring your vision (I'm tempted with my one car...). Anyways, you might check you state policies on this, especially as regards to insurance.

I had a small crack in the corner of a windshield. I had it "repaired" but it grew and my insurance company paid up with no complaint. Later on a crack reappeared in the same spot, but this time I knew it was due to rust so I paid up myself (after brazing in a new strip of metal on the windshield frame).

I've heard the things about insurance companies holding any claim against you, even if you're totally blameless. If I had a $200 deductible and a $250 repair then I'd probably not report it, but since there is full glass coverage here then that was too big to miss. Anyways, I think they're used to it here for glass.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crack is about 2 cm ~ 0.75 in.

My deductible is $500 so I won't be going through insurance.

I guess I gotta find a window guy :mad:.

·
Registered
218 Posts
awdark said:
The crack is about 2 cm ~ 0.75 in.

My deductible is $500 so I won't be going through insurance.

I guess I gotta find a window guy :mad:.
I had one actually a bit bigger than that (an inch radius)
I went to a chip repair place and they fixed it for me 20 bucks
depending how deep that chip is, the filler that they use may not be able to seal it to look back to normal

·
Not so noob anymore
130 Posts
My wife had her 2003 Echo windsheild replaced for $200 Cdn. They guy did it in the parking lot at her office. He even warrantied the replacement window.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Lots of people think that getting the window reparied will make it look like new...not the case, they just suck/fill the crack up with clears resin and sometimes it looks worse...your crack doesn't look that bad and getting it done will probably stop it from cracking farther if you want to spend $75 to get it repaired or if you look around some guys will put in a new window after work for $150, or else your looking at $250, if you have a lot of other pits/small chips I suggest just getting the whole window replaced....Raddman

"I OWNED A NEW CAR ONCE, MY X WIFE LOVES IT":saythat:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a chip ... spoke with the insurance ... they said to get it fixed. I used one of their shops. Cost nothing. They said it is cheaper for them to try to repair it than having a claim on it later.

That's what insurance is suppose to be.

Will have to see if my rates goes up. But I don't think it will.

P.S. I called around, if I was to get it done myself (at a shop) $50 to $75.00 CAD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts