Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since a month or so, my 2010 Corolla S has a slight rattle coming from the windshield when I hit a bump, or deep crack in the street or simply turning into my driveway as one wheel goes over the sidewalk, then the other wheel. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where in the windshield, it's coming from, but that rattle wasn't there for the first 18 months.
A few times last winter, my wippers were full of ice and occasionally I used to lift the wippers and let it bang against the windshield because it didn't wipe well with all that ice and snow. Is it possible that by doing so, that I weakened the seal all around the windshield?

I was thinking that maybe the cracking and rattle could come from right below the windshield, where the wippers are. When I lift the hood and move that plastic right below the windshield, it squeaks. I tried putting some lubricant between the bottom of the windshield where the plastic starts and hugs over the bottom part of the windshield, and it didn't change anything.

Next week, I'm going to Toyota to adjust my belt because there is a slight squeal at startup, and also to see if they can pinpoint or fix that rattle coming from the windshield.

The windshield rattle was louder when it was below freezing, and now it's not as noticiable, and I'm afraid that they won't even hear the rattle, because the roads are much nicer near Toyota garage than here where I live.

Would replacing the windshield be solution? I don't even know if there will be additional rattles with a new windshield, since it's not done at the factory?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Since I was off today, and my Toyota appointment is only next Monday, I went to Duro, where they fix car windshields and I told the clerk about my problem, he said that just a a few minutes ago, another person with a 2010 Corolla came over with a similar problem...

I'm surprised that no one here has a similar problem with their windshield.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I only have a minute... There's a TSB for windshield "tick" noise. Try a search for that. Had mine done under warranty, but it didn't fix it and now the dealer "cannot reproduce" the noise. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's interesting to see this today, since when I left work today I heard a ticking noise coming from my rear window (is it called a rear windshield? lol..). It literally sounded like someone clicking their finger nails on a metal table or something.

Post up what they tell you!

·
My other car is a Festiva
47 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but this will be something that likely won't go away.
The only possible noise the windshield or back glass assembly will make is from locating stops that are glued to the glass and used to keep it in place on the assembly line while the urethane dries. These are glued along the top portion of the windshield and back glass assemblies. These are what the TSB is about, and it directs the Tech to chisel them off the glass, and remove them to resolve the "tick" noise. If your noise is located anywhere other than about 3" in from the inside garnish moulding, front or back, it is just the nature of the plasic fastners rubbing together in the dash assembly, or the sail/package panel in the rear. Cold weather is when it *really* gets a chance for these rubbing noises to shine.

Michael
Glass Tech 27 Yrs

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Service Bulletin, doesn't seem to apply to 2010's...

SB0142-08R2.......07/13/2009 Body - Windshield/Back Glass Ticking Noises
2003-2009 Corolla (and practically every other vehicle manufactured from Toyota)
Introduction
If a creak tick or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield or at the top of the rear glass the source of the noise may be the two stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield/rear glass or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield/rear glass area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Dorkinheimer
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing