Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The windshield washer tank on our US-built 2001 Camry LE 4 cylinder has apparently developed a crack, as it will only fill about half-way before leaking. This is the style where only the filler neck and cap are visible under hood, with the tank itself hidden away like it contains nuclear launch codes.

I happened upon a used one locally for $25, so I bought it on an impulse. It is the tank only (and I think the wrong level sensor or seal as they don't fit together properly) and is p/n 85315-AA020, with DENSO molded into the bottom of the tank.

I wasn't sure how it is replaced as Haynes doesn't even acknowledge its' existence, so I found a video by A1Auto.com on You Tube
that shows removing the entire bumper along with the passenger bottom splash shield and peeling back the fender liner. Yikes. Naturally, about half the clips and screws were missing on their demo car, and being 15 years old now, how much stuff will break if I did this R&R.

What I noticed was that the top support brace bolt hole on the tank they removed seemed more angled than the one I have on hand (nearly horizontal). I went to toyodiy.com and plugged in the VIN, only to be rewarded with two pages of windshield washer systems: Nippon Denso and Itta-Esna. Not only are the tanks different part numbers, so are the washer motors and low level warning switches, meaning the real chance of tearing apart the car only to discover the tank I have is incompatible with the existing motor and switch.

But then I realized they also listed two different caps.

The Denso one I bought has a built-up center area with the molded lettering and wiper spray symbol, with the top face of the pry-lip being flush with the raised center. So the outer ~1/16" wide rim of the cap is below the main face of the cap. The OD of the Denso cap perpendicular to the lip and hinge is 2.09".

Images on-line of the Itta-Esna part number seem to show a completely flat cap face except for the molded lettering and wiper spray symbol. I don't have the car here now to check which cap style it has, though I think it might be the flat style :[

So the questions:

1. Is the cap difference enough to definitively confirm which factory supplier reservoir is on the car?

2. Can a car that was built with one suppliers' assembly (tank, pump, level switch, cap) be replaced entirely by the other supplier assembly without interference, mounting, hose, or harness issues?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts