Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I eliminate the wiper chatter that happens everytime I use it? I've replaced the blades and I have tried different brands and sometimes it will be fine but unexpectedly the next time it will chatter. I believe that the problem is the glass as I can see some water spots below the bottom of the blades ( the part that the blade does not contact )that I cannot clean out. I have used an abrasive glass cleaner called "Glass Scrub" but the problem still exists. Any suggestions on a glass cleaner or compound to clean the glass?

·
Country Hick
1,339 Posts
The solution to this is a little more simple than that... just pull the wiper up - bend the arm in slightly at the bottom and bob's your uncle - all water beads on the window gone...

·
Registered
983 Posts
You could try putting rainX additive into your washer fluid or just spray it onto your window, it breaks up the surface tension thats why rain drops just roll off after using it and it might help to make your wipers glide easier...Good luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try putting rainX additive into your washer fluid or just spray it onto your window, it breaks up the surface tension thats why rain drops just roll off after using it and it might help to make your wipers glide easier...Good luck
I have applied RainX to the glass but the problem still exists. Is it safe to add it to the washer fluid?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
It doesn't sound like your blades are at fault, but your windshield. Try cleaning it with clay if you have it or wipe it down with lighter fluid, and then clean it with a glass cleaner. If it still happens, use some 0000 steel wool with alcohol. That should fix it.

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
Get yourself some Stoner's Invisible Glass and a high quality microfiber, I find this combo works wonders to clean dirty windows

·
Country Hick
1,339 Posts
Dont worry about all of this fancy glass cleaners - all you need to properly clean your glass is metholated spirits and a good microfibre cloth... You then need some Rainx on your windscreen.

I work as a glazier now - all we use at work to clean the silica sand, permenant marker and fingerprints off is metho. One wipe and it is as clean as youve ever seen it...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont worry about all of this fancy glass cleaners - all you need to properly clean your glass is metholated spirits and a good microfibre cloth... You then need some Rainx on your windscreen.

I work as a glazier now - all we use at work to clean the silica sand, permenant marker and fingerprints off is metho. One wipe and it is as clean as youve ever seen it...
Where can I get some "Metholated Spirits"? Is this a common item I can find at my local Home Depot?

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
Just try both methods out and see which one you like, there are a lot of members here on TN who swear by Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

I tried all the above suggestions cleaning the windshield with denatured alcohol and Stoners glass cleaner rainX etc but the chattering problem was still there.

I found this tip bowsing thru the Camry forums.
The solution that worked for me was lubricating the wiper arm springs with some WD40. Apparently this caused the spring to apply more wiper arm pressure on the glass. If you have this problem and have tried all the usual fixes check the spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts