Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Avalon XLS - driver's side windshield wiper shudders on medium speed in moderate rain. Wipers have been changed multiple times at the dealership with various types of wipers but we have proven that it's not a wiper problem since later in the same day of a wiper change, the shuddering continued. We are cleaning the windshield according to dealership recommendation. At one point during a long, rainy trip, black streaks developed as the wiper "distintegrated." So far we have not had any satisfaction from Toyota -- we have been told that they don't have any other remedy. We're looking for other possibilities (windshield itself? wiper motor?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,104 Posts
Does it shudder in both directions (left to right and right to left)? Only in one direction suggests the wiper blade is twisted (probably due to bent wiper parts).
You can buy a little draw scale (used by fishermen to estimate the weight of their catch) for less than $2 and use it to compare the amount of pull required to lift the wiper blade away from the windshield (either to another Avalon, or to the passenger side). Too little pressure (worn or bad tension spring) can cause shudder.
You didn't say how the dealer recommended to clean the windshield, but some contaminants can only be removed by a light abrasive. Bon-Ami and Glass Wax are the "gold standards", but sometimes hard to find in stores. The thick liquid cleaner sold for glass stovetops can be used as a substitute, as can ordinary toothpaste.

Hopefully, others will chime in with more ideas or techniques that worked for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it shudder in both directions (left to right and right to left)? Only in one direction suggests the wiper blade is twisted (probably due to bent wiper parts).
It shudders when it's going from right to left and it occurs when the wiper nears the end of the right-to-left sweep. We have been through six sets of wipers, and the same thing happened with every set. I failed to mention that at one point the dealer replaced the "arm" also.

Too little pressure (worn or bad tension spring) can cause shudder.
That makes sense to me, as it seems as though the wiper blade doesn't have enough pressure to deal with moderate rainfall (if that makes sense!). IOW, too much resistance.

We've been afraid to try anything but what was suggested for cleaning purposes. The dealer recommended Sprayway. We could try the liquid cleaner for glass stovetops, especially since we have that on hand. :)

Thanks for your reply!

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
I'll second the notion of making sure the windshield is truly clean. I have used Bon-Ami in the past with excellent results. (Just make sure you rinse it really well!)

I've invested in a pair of silicon wiper blades from silblade.com. They're pricey at about $50 for the pair but it's doubtful you'll ever have to replace them. I have a 9-year old set on a Mustang that are better than any new rubber blade. Something to think about.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Try some aerosol Stoner's Invisible Glass, and let it soak in for about 5 minutes then wipe off.

Also try cleaning your wiper blades with some rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had real good success with using a clay bar on all windows. Cleans them really good- you'll be surprised at how much 'stuff' a bar will remove from window surfaces.

:bump:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your suggestions. We will try the stove-top cleaner, although the dealership did use something that was somewhat abrasive to clean the windshield at one point. As for the silicone wipers -- if brand-new wipers still shudder, will silicone make a difference? Also, the wipers we have sell for over $60 and contain a rain sensor (or something!). I believe we've used two different types of wipers provided by the dealer. (Fortunately, we've paid for just one set but have had six sets installed.!) Note also that this problem started within the first month of ownership and has been ongoing.

Besides that, we LOVE our Avalon! It's just frustrating to have been told that they haven't seen this problem on other Avalons...but are now claiming that the wipers are working as designed. Hmmmm...

·
Avalon Enthusiast
05Avalon, 03Mustang
1,104 Posts
turbowanabe - great idea to try a claybar. I have one and would have never thought to try it on glass.

JudyBKM - I assume the replacement blades have been the (expensive) factory original ones (I think they are made by Valeo), and not aftermarket "equivalents". The rain sensor is not part of the wiper blades; it is located behing your rear-view mirror. That the entire arm has been changed would seem to eliminate a weak tension spring. I'm leaning toward something on the glass that increases the friction at certain points in the travel. The Avalon driver-side wiper is unusually long (Greyhound busses aside). Any contaminant on the glass increasing glass-to-blade friction near the an outer end of the blade will cause the opposite end to jump. So I would limit any cleaning efforts, at first, to that region of the windshield, near the ends of the blade, where the shudder is most noticable, and then check for improvement.

'Tom in Tacoma' resides in a region where they have serious annual rainfall, compared to my area, so I consider his advice to be based on the most extensive experience.

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
'Tom in Tacoma' resides in a region where they have serious annual rainfall, compared to my area, so I consider his advice to be based on the most extensive experience.
:eek:

We actually get less than most place across the country - ours is just spread out for longer periods. But, yes, we do know about rain and wipers and such.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the same problem that I had with my Corolla. The fix was a simple adj. of the blades. Park the wiper blades in the upright vertical position and check to see that the edge of the blade that contacts the glass is perpendicular or 90 degrees to the glass. If not get a pair of pliers or a wrench and bend the arm until the blade contacts the glass at 90 degrees. :chug:

Check out this video:

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Avalon
77 Posts
I was having a similar issue with mine. I clayed/waxed the whole car, windows and windshield included. I would recommend the Rain-X Latitude. I replaced the stock ones with those, and have noticed a HUGE difference! The only time that mine shutters is the first swipe. After that, it is nice and quiet.

Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts