Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Corolla LE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my 1st winter driving my 2016 LE. How has everyone else's Corolla driven in snow, and does having a CVT make it harder to get moving when driving in snow. I obviously know winter tires will help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the less "jerky" a car is, the more it keeps traction. also these cars all have traction control so when a wheel is slipping, the brakes pulse to keep traction. i can't see them having problems other than tires. i do know that tires make all the difference. but a cvt is a smooth transmission if it is driven smooth so i would guess it would do just fine in winter driving.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
does having a CVT make it harder to get moving when driving in snow
5 winters here... Vs other cars I've owned, the Corolla is doing quite well in winter. The CVT doesn't make a difference, except it might be a little slower to react before reaching optimal operation temperature in extreme cold. The car is sometime sensitive to severe gusty weather. Traction control and stability control are not too invasive and work quite well - just remember to deactivate it if it is to get out of a snow bank or non plowed area. And yes, above all, appropriate winter/snow/ice tires (depending on conditions most encountered) make all the difference.

·
Registered
322 Posts
why should you deactivate traction control when trying to get out of a snow bank or non-plowed area?
Because the AT will not engage if the car senses that one wheel is stuck or without traction, so the car will not move... This was a big PITA part for my prev ES as it didn't have a dedicated traction button, but it was a timed dance of brake pedal presses...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Because the AT will not engage if the car senses that one wheel is stuck or without traction, so the car will not move... This was a big PITA part for my prev ES as it didn't have a dedicated traction button, but it was a timed dance of brake pedal presses...
this is good to know, i wouldn't have guessed but would have found out when winter comes.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
so you turn off traction control to be able to drive again? that doesn't make sense.
If stuck in snow, allowing the wheels to slip may help them biting their way out to some momentum. TC on would stop them instantly so you basically can't move or try the rock back and forth movement. Note that we're talking temporarily disabling for this particular circumstance, here. Not disabling permanently as TC is of great help in other situations.

·
Registered
322 Posts
so you turn off traction control to be able to drive again? that doesn't make sense. is that' the point of traction control? if your wheel is spinning in the snow, you want it to have traction.
If stuck in snow, allowing the wheels to slip may help them biting their way out to some momentum. TC on would stop them instantly so you basically can't move or try the rock back and forth movement. Note that we're talking temporarily disabling for this particular circumstance, here. Not disabling permanently as TC is of great help in other situations.
Exactly as @jolly said!

It is hard to verbalize if you never got stuck in deep snow. What happens is that car senses no traction and won't engage the wheels, and pressing gas does nothing because of that, engine revs but wheels don't spin. So to be able to rock your way out of the snow, one needs to disable the traction control which will then allow you to apply input and power to wheels, i.e. get them to spin...

Check out these articles on it:

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,405 Posts
I still don't understand. what does traction control do?
Control traction... it's like having a limited slip differential except it uses ABS to control wheel spin so that both wheels spin the same (maybe).

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Camry SE
132 Posts
ok so when a wheel is spinning, it applies the break to it so to slow down the spinning and regains traction? so when your car is stuck, it like being in that exact situation except its much worse. so it seems you want traction control, no?

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
ok so when a wheel is spinning, it applies the break to it so to slow down the spinning and regains traction? so when your car is stuck, it like being in that exact situation except its much worse. so it seems you want traction control, no?
That is why I find traction control weird. Someone else should be able to explain it better other than willingly getting stuck in snow and testing it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The thing is TC doesn't add traction, but works until it's find which, if stuck, might be never.

When starting/accelerating, if a driving wheel has less grip than the other, it will start rolling faster than the other (spinning) without helping acceleration. TC manages to slow this particular wheel spinning until traction is, hopefully, gained. But mainly this also prevents the car from jerking erratically if the culprit wheel was to suddenly and abruptly gain traction again at its higher speed than the other.

TC doesn’t “add” traction but rather mitigate the consequences of a lack of. Simply put, TC makes sure that all driving wheels are at a matched speed. With one wheel stuck in snow desperately spinning at say 50 mph and the other not moving forward half an inch, TC then pull the poor stuck wheel at 0 mph to match… Hence the idea of TC OFF in this specific situation.

·
Registered
2016 Corolla LE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies guys. I do have a set of new winter tires to put on. I live in Minnesota which as everyone knows the winters can be pretty severe. I have already noticed how the car behaves in the wind. Put my avg MPG down from 40 to 33 on a windy day. Plus the car was moving all over the place. I do wish there was a way to completely disable the TC. I don't like it on in the winter as my Camry it could stay off until I hit the button. My Corolla it will turn back on after a few hundred feet. I've had my Rolla since June bought it at 15k and have 35k on it now. I love this car and drive it as much as possible

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
One thing I find a bit interesting and confusing about my 08 Camry Base is that nothing at indicates VSC or TRC but I know if I slide in the snow I will feel the rear lock-up and straighten. If I am stuck on top of snow, if you listen very quietly you will hear a light ringing sound as the wheels spin but as far as I know and what my VIN says from Toyota and what Tech Stream has told me I do not have TRC. The sound could just be part of the component to add TRC but TRC was never added. I don't really want it either.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts