Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I do have a set of new winter tires to put on. I live in Minnesota which as everyone knows the winters can be pretty severe. I have already noticed how the car behaves in the wind. Put my avg MPG down from 40 to 33 on a windy day. Plus the car was moving all over the place. I do wish there was a way to completely disable the TC. I don't like it on in the winter as my Camry it could stay off until I hit the button. My Corolla it will turn back on after a few hundred feet. I've had my Rolla since June bought it at 15k and have 35k on it now. I love this car and drive it as much as possible
there probably is a fuse for the TC, maybe you can pull it..??

·
Registered
65 Posts
That may cause ABS codes and the TC light to turn on.
do you hold the button for 3 seconds? i know pushing it quickly will turn it off but maybe it just temporarily turns it off.

To turn the TRAC and VSC systems off, press and hold for more than 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. The “TRAC OFF” indicator light and VSC OFF indicator light will come on. Press again to turn the systems back on.

·
Registered
2016 Corolla LE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll give that a try, I'm just so used to driving without it in the winter that it might mess with my driving! Lol

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
This will be my 1st winter driving my 2016 LE. How has everyone else's Corolla driven in snow, and does having a CVT make it harder to get moving when driving in snow. I obviously know winter tires will help.
I've owned many Corollas over the years. While I've never owned one with a CVT, everyone with a manual transmission and winter tires has been excellent in winter driving.

·
Registered
2016 Corolla LE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've owned many Corollas over the years. While I've never owned one with a CVT, everyone with a manual transmission and winter tires has been excellent in winter driving.
Yeah, the CVT is the only thing I worry about! I'm sure it will be fine, and I trust Toyota's engineers

·
Registered
233 Posts
The shortest explanation I've heard for what it does is that it diverts power to a wheel with traction by applying the brakes specifically (i.e. on a per-wheel basis) to slow whichever ones are spinning. ABS sensors report wheel speeds individually, so one turning faster than the others gets attention, and braking.

A zillion years ago now, my first car with ATC was my '93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. I found myself on sheet ice outside our apartment one day, both front wheels equally free to spin, and so the system was baffled. I could feel the car trying one wheel and then the other, back and forth in a kind of weird hula motion, until I finally pressed the Traction Off button. At that point I was able to leave it in Drive with the engine idling, and it just sort of crawled its way straight off the ice at last. Interesting experience.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
Put proper winter tires on, and you won’t have to worry. Winter tires on FWD is absolutely amazing.
Why people don't use winter tires in places that are colder than 45F baffles me. The nannies are nice in slick conditions but they all rely on the tires ability to grip the road. A/S tires don't grip well in snow, winter tires do. Problem solved! :cool:

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,405 Posts
Why people don't use winter tires in places that are colder than 45F baffles me. The nannies are nice in slick conditions but they all rely on the tires ability to grip the road. A/S tires don't grip well in snow, winter tires do. Problem solved! :cool:
Mostly due to $$$. I plan on getting them but I have been planning that since I started driving...

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
I had no issues using all weather tires in yesterday's snowstorm and that is with 30mph gusts and a wind chill of 14F. Traction control works wonderfully if you start slipping

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
Mostly due to $$$. I plan on getting them but I have been planning that since I started driving...
It costs money to own a car and do it right. Luckily you can get tires from Discount Tire and get 6 months same as cash to make it easier and pay off in 6 months. Other options are on CL as people will sell winter tires for a car they sold and a decent set of 4 can be bought for very little money.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I had no issues using all weather tires in yesterday's snowstorm and that is with 30mph gusts and a wind chill of 14F. Traction control works wonderfully if you start slipping
I hear this same reasoning by most people until that one time when someone pulls out in front of them and they realize that they can't steer or brake quickly enough. It only takes once, and chances are it will happen at some point.

Most people think that A/S tires are fine because they get around okay but just watching a few tire comparisons with winter and A/S tires can be an eye-opener. It's not a coincidence that when people finally try a winter tire they can't believe the difference. ]

The right tool for the job is always the best choice. ;)

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
It costs money to own a car and do it right. Luckily you can get tires from Discount Tire and get 6 months same as cash to make it easier and pay off in 6 months. Other options are on CL as people will sell winter tires for a car they sold and a decent set of 4 can be bought for very little money.
I'm poor 🤪 BUT if you saw my spreadsheet, I always find it interesting on how people (me) can't spend money on something yet can spend it on other "needless" things. For me, when I do buy tires I can buy it from my old shop and I will only be charged shop price for the tires with minimal assistance in removing the tires as I am trying to not damage my TPMS sensors and BFGoodrich tires have been known to be annoying to remove... or my steelies are just annoying... one of the two. If anything, my current plan is to eventually buy another set of All-Season tires though I want to delay that til I can get 18" wheels because then I will buy Winter tires for my steelies but I don't foresee that happening.

All-Season tires do fine as long as you are aware of what is around you and are not an idiot. I would prefer Winter tires but like I said earlier, $$$ in addition to needing another set of wheels.
Main Plan:
  1. 16" Steelies with Winter Tires
  2. 18" Enkei Raijin's with All-Season Tires
    1. High priority after paying off certain debt
  3. 16" (Unknown Wheels) with Winter tires
    1. Low priority
Plan I Don't Want to Enact:
  1. 16" Steelies with All-Season Tires
  2. 16" Steelies with Winter Tires
  3. 18" Enkei Raijin's with All-Season Tires
Current Tire Choices:
  1. Continental PureContact's
  2. Firestone Ecopia's
  3. Firestone Blizzak's
I didn't like the OEM tires but that may of just been me, I liked my old Ecopia's except I don't think they match my driving style, I have been hating my BFGoodrich Advantach T/A's, I hear good thing's about PureContact's, I may end up back with Ecopia's, and one day I will get Blizzak's or any other choice that can be recommended (for A/S and Winter tires).

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I'm poor 🤪 BUT if you saw my spreadsheet, I always find it interesting on how people (me) can't spend money on something yet can spend it on other "needless" things. For me, when I do buy tires I can buy it from my old shop and I will only be charged shop price for the tires with minimal assistance in removing the tires as I am trying to not damage my TPMS sensors and BFGoodrich tires have been known to be annoying to remove... or my steelies are just annoying... one of the two. If anything, my current plan is to eventually buy another set of All-Season tires though I want to delay that til I can get 18" wheels because then I will buy Winter tires for my steelies but I don't foresee that happening.

All-Season tires do fine as long as you are aware of what is around you and are not an idiot. I would prefer Winter tires but like I said earlier, $$$ in addition to needing another set of wheels.
Main Plan:
  1. 16" Steelies with Winter Tires
  2. 18" Enkei Raijin's with All-Season Tires
    1. High priority after paying off certain debt
  3. 16" (Unknown Wheels) with Winter tires
    1. Low priority
Plan I Don't Want to Enact:
  1. 16" Steelies with All-Season Tires
  2. 16" Steelies with Winter Tires
  3. 18" Enkei Raijin's with All-Season Tires
Current Tire Choices:
  1. Continental PureContact's
  2. Firestone Ecopia's
  3. Firestone Blizzak's
I didn't like the OEM tires but that may of just been me, I liked my old Ecopia's except I don't think they match my driving style, I have been hating my BFGoodrich Advantach T/A's, I hear good thing's about PureContact's, I may end up back with Ecopia's, and one day I will get Blizzak's or any other choice that can be recommended (for A/S and Winter tires).
Just remember that many times it's not what you do but what other idiots do. I've have people lose control where if I didn't have good traction with winter tires there would have been no way to steer around the possible accident. I've lived in a lot of winter areas and have seen things happen very fast in bad conditions. If everyone was aware of everything around them there would never be an accident, but we know that doesn't happen.

On your current tire choices.
2. Ecopias and Blizzaks are made by Bridgestone, not Firestone. ;)

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Just remember that many times it's not what you do but what other idiots do. I've have people lose control where if I didn't have good traction with winter tires there would have been no way to steer around the possible accident. I've lived in a lot of winter areas and have seen things happen very fast in bad conditions. If everyone was aware of everything around them there would never be an accident, but we know that doesn't happen.

On your current tire choices.
2. Ecopias and Blizzaks are made by Bridgestone, not Firestone. ;)
I do my best to be aware of my surroundings and my Camry has always been good to me.

Bridgestone, Firestone, close enough. 🤪

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
Anyone try the tiger paw tires? Or whatever they are called. I found some for like $60 a tire and are said to be winter tires... As always it sounds too good to be true. Haven't checked the tread out to determine of they actually are sufficient though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone try the tiger paw tires? Or whatever they are called. I found some for like $60 a tire and are said to be winter tires... As always it sounds too good to be true. Haven't checked the tread out to determine of they actually are sufficient though
Take a look at Firestone Winterforce tires. Priced affordably and work worlds better than all seasons in winter surface conditions.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I do my best to be aware of my surroundings and my Camry has always been good to me.

Bridgestone, Firestone, close enough. 🤪
I'm sure that you do as I do but I've had many instances over the years that having winter tires on and being able to steer and brake the car due to the traction the tires provided has allowed me to avoid many accidents during winter driving. I'm just pointing out that every one of us are ultimately dependent on the traction of our tires to do what we want the car to do. When you first start to use winter tires this will all make much more sense.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I'm sure that you do as I do but I've had many instances over the years that having winter tires on and being able to steer and brake the car due to the traction the tires provided has allowed me to avoid many accidents during winter driving. I'm just pointing out that every one of us are ultimately dependent on the traction of our tires to do what we want the car to do. When you first start to use winter tires this will all make much more sense.
One day...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts