Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but didn't find anything exactly on these two topics. I'm wondering if others noticed the same. We had our first winter blast in the northeast and there are two big things that are standing out as problems for me:

1) The front defroster. When in full defrost mode it blows plenty of hot air, however when I use the blend of defrost and feet, the air gets significantly colder. When in this mode it feels cold on my face. I confirmed by placing hand directly over the vent and changing between modes. Yes, there is less airflow but it is MUCH colder also. It is also the same colder temperature if I change it to face blower too. So, it only seems to be HOT in full defrost. Why can't I warm my feet and defrost my dash at the same time?

2) The windshield washer - Its placed under the hood! This is dangerous! The wipers push all the ice and snow down and then when I go to use the washers they're blocked! My wife's new Avalon is the same way and she had the same complaint yesterday. I realize this is a huge design flaw but I was curious if anyone else noticed it to be as big of an issue as we did.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That’s all typical of most vehicles. If you don’t like that try driving any 90s Civic. Those little critters had such anemic defrosters that I’ve seen times when I couldn’t keep up with it with a scraper going continuously while driving.
Most you’re freezing problems are from using the chief windshield washing fluid. Get the winter mix and you’ll find it won’t freeze unless it’s completely buried in a block of ice.
Consider also using your windshield wipers on an icy windshield is a bad idea anyways most of the time unless the glass is completely clear of ice. It only takes a few passes over the rough icy spots to put tiny rips in the wiper blades rubber and then the streak forever after. It also can lead to burning out the wiper motor unhooking the drive arm’s from their sockets or stripping the splines on the shaft. The son in law stripped one on his tundra last year. It cost a ridiculous $50 for a new arm. It’s a good reason to lift them up when parked long term.
If you really set on having your window squirters mounted on the wiper arm it’s not all that hard to change. You just need the little blocks that mount in the arm with a squirter in it and the length of hose to splice in the your original line . That sort of thing is going to be a Rube Goldberg rig though and likely you’re not going to find anything original like that so how it fits will be a challenge. Probably best left as is and just use the winter fluid...........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly not "typical" of most vehicles and I can't understand why you think it would be acceptable to have ineffective defrosting on a new $35k car in the year 2019. I've had many vehicles over the years and this is the first time the outlet temperature changes depending on where you select the air to be discharged. My question was do others notice this or could my vehicle have a defect?

We live in Western NY and get snow, ice, thaw and freeze cycles all in a short period of time. The snow below the wipers/hood/windshield can become a block of ice overnight. There is no fluid that will blast through that. You also cannot chisel that ice out without breaking something when you wake up to 0 deg F temperatures. In this case, the washers will be inoperable until it warms up a bit and the ice can be dislodged. It also doesn't help that the defroster is ineffective at melting the ice in that area due to the other issue I'm experiencing above.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My solution, I use hot not boiling water in the mornings to wash the ice or snow off. It also de-ice the wipers too. You only need half a gallon of water.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,425 Posts
  1. Is the vehicle at normal operating temperature or is it "frozen"? If it is "frozen" then of course you will get cold air as the vehicle is not at normal operating temperature.
  2. My wind shield washer nozzles for my 08 Camry are under the hood, brush off the snow under there and you won't get any issues or just keep spraying until the pressure is able to get through the snow. In addition just brush off all of the snow/ice off the windshield before driving.
    1. Is it a design flaw? I doubt it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. This is after I arrived at work this morning so the vehicle has plenty of time to warm up. With my hand right at the defroster vent outlet, pressing defroster only button the air gets warm to hot. When pressing any other button the air exiting the selected vent is significantly colder.
2. Design flaw? no. Poor design? yes If both mine and my wife's nozzles were blocked yesterday morning (by ice, not snow) I'm sure it's happened to others also.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Great way to crack your windshield.
How can you prove that when you havent tried it?

You can search on youtube, there are videos people from out of country, pour boiling water and it doesnt even crack the windshield, let alone hot water from the sink.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,425 Posts
1. This is after I arrived at work this morning so the vehicle has plenty of time to warm up. With my hand right at the defroster vent outlet, pressing defroster only button the air gets warm to hot. When pressing any other button the air exiting the selected vent is significantly colder.
2. Design flaw? no. Poor design? yes If both mine and my wife's nozzles were blocked yesterday morning (by ice, not snow) I'm sure it's happened to others also.
Just gotta make sure you knock that ice out beforehand. I've barely had any issues with the washer nozzles as I have typically cleared them as much as I can.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How can you prove that when you havent tried it?

You can search on youtube, there are videos people from out of country, pour boiling water and it doesnt even crack the windshield, let alone hot water from the sink.
Because I learned it in middle school. And here in the northeast it gets cold enough to immediately re-freeze that water.

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,173 Posts
1) The front defroster. When in full defrost mode it blows plenty of hot air, however when I use the blend of defrost and feet, the air gets significantly colder. When in this mode it feels cold on my face.

Mine is diff. model, but no issue using blend..defrost/feet. In otherwords, I don't know whats wrong with yours?

2) The windshield washer - Its placed under the hood! This is dangerous! The wipers push all the ice and snow down and then when I go to use the washers they're blocked!

I noticed same long ago & know what ya mean. Realized washer nozzles were blocked with snow that packed in under edge of hood. Had to manually clear later when I realized why washers weren't working. I also switched to Prestone DeIcer windshield washer fluid year round & sure helps to keep ws from frosting/icing over. Also works ok during summer time.
I

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
The front defogger (combined or not with the feet ventilation) SHOULD blow colder air! My last Impala actually used AC to defog the windshield in the middle of the winter. I could hear my compressor clutch working.

Think of it, fogging is a result of your warm and humid breath coming into contact with the cold windshield - thus producing condensation at the cold surface contact. The way the car removes the condensed water is by blowing cold air onto it to:

1. reduce its temp (thus stopping the condensation process) and,

2. Blowing it to reput it in circulation in the cabin air and pushing it outside trough the body vents located usually behind the rear bumper.

The rear defogger works differently. It overcomes the condensation by warming the rear glass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While you are partially correct about the function of the AC for de-fogging, it is not the cold air that de-fogs. It is the dry air that has had the moisture removed by the evaporator core that helps remove the condensation from your window. The evaporator is in series with the heater core. The heater core comes second in the series so it will warm the air back up if you so desired in warmer weather. Now I know you're thinking the air will be colder since they are fighting themselves and yes, the heater core will have to recover what heat the AC core removed, however there is much more energy in the heater core than can be removed by the AC core. Now, in the winter months the outside air temperature is much colder than the operating temp of the evaporator core would ever be, so this point becomes moot in the frigid winter days. Think about it - if the AC were to operate below freezing you would end up with a block of ice inside your dash in the summer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That is true if you turn on the temperature UP with Front Defroster ON. It will have cool air blow towards the windshield and the vents on the driver's side and passenger's side will blow hot air.

The purpose of the A/C is to dehumidify the cabin, to remove the moisture to defog the windows. So, by selecting the defroster, the A/C compressor will kick on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't make this complicated. Buy an exterior windshield cover, snow falls on top of it, remove it. Nice clean windshield.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't make this complicated. Buy an exterior windshield cover, snow falls on top of it, remove it. Nice clean windshield.
Good call!
I have that and works well. But has to be attentively installed to withstand the wind. This also protects the wipers so they will be ready and without chunks of ice attached to them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good call!
I have that and works well. But has to be attentively installed to withstand the wind. This also protects the wipers so they will be ready and without chunks of ice attached to them.
You have snow and I have sun issues. Here's poor man's version :=)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You've never driven while it is snowing two inches an hour have you? What protects the bottom of the windshield when it's snowing while I'm driving?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts