Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
You've never driven while it is snowing two inches an hour have you? What protects the bottom of the windshield when it's snowing while I'm driving?
I know of no snow. It was more for when vehicle is parked; otherwise, suggestions such as pour boiling water does not work well either :=)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
All I'm asking is if others have noticed it with their car too or if there is possibly something wrong with the blend door in my dash. The replies that there are so many work-arounds leads me to believe others have the same issues too. Therefore, I'll learn to live with it or find another vehicle.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You've never driven while it is snowing two inches an hour have you? What protects the bottom of the windshield when it's snowing while I'm driving?
I’m EATING snow here in Canada, LOL. I already “floated” my Camry in 20cm deep snow this week! WIND does it. If not, your hands and tools have to get out of the car to clean that from time to time.

There’s no easy way for that 2inches/hour snow coming down from the sky. Our cars are not designed for the Above Polar Circle only. They also function well in places like Florida.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,433 Posts
I’m EATING snow here in Canada, LOL. I already “floated” my Camry in 20cm deep snow this week! WIND does it. If not, your hands and tools have to get out of the car to clean that from time to time.

There’s no easy way for that 2inches/hour snow coming down from the sky. Our cars are not designed for the Above Polar Circle only. They also function well in places like Florida.
If using the right fluid (aka not summer bug-off fluid) and as long as most of the snow brushed off, the washer motor has enough power to push through the snow. Though in honestly, "properly" cleaning the windshield is key as in brushing off all of the snow and using the ice scrapper to remove all of the ice until nearly all of the windshield is free of debris.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If using the right fluid (aka not summer bug-off fluid).
All the fluid you get in stores here is correctly rated for -40 deg Celsius. You don’t want to freeze off your washer motor and system with that traditional summer bug-off...

Now... you’re absolutely right. If you decently remove the snow and the ice from the bottom of the windshield, the system will just function properly, as long as the car keeps moving (no snow accumulating).

BTW, here, if you don’t remove the snow from your car before driving it, it’s considered a road hazard that could cost 200CAD and more + 2 points off of your driver permit file. Happened to a friend...

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,433 Posts
All the fluid you get in stores here is correctly rated for -40 deg Celsius. You don’t want to freeze off your washer motor and system with that traditional summer bug-off...

Now... you’re absolutely right. If you decently remove the snow and the ice from the bottom of the windshield, the system will just function properly, as long as the car keeps moving (no snow accumulating).

BTW, here, if you don’t remove the snow from your car before driving it, it’s considered a road hazard that could cost 200CAD and more + 2 points off of your driver permit file. Happened to a friend...
I use RainX (orange) all season washer fluid because I am in Wisconsin so I get the frigid winters and the hot summers so I rather use an all-season __ instead of using summer then winter then summer ___. When I clean my front window, I brush til all of the snow is off of the window. If there is ice I will use the ice scraper to remove nearly all of it. If there is snow under the hood and on top of the cowl, I brush that off too. Unless that ice is legit frozen water... that is a different issue than just frozen particles of snow... I've never had issues in the winter but then again I am willing to accept the nature of the beast more than others. I'm just fortunate in that my beast has always been good to me as I am to it.

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
16 SE & 18 XSE Camry
656 Posts
To answer OP's 1st question, I do not feel a significant temperature change when I switch between different blend modes. At least not to the point I would question it. Maybe you should mention this to service next time you are there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tested last night on my way home. 20 degrees (F) outside and after it warmed up, I could hold my hand over the defrost only for about 5 seconds. It was only 2 or 3 seconds when I switched it to blowing out in the cabin.

Funny thing is that I posted something a year ago, when I got the car, asking if it got very warm. Back then, very low temps, the car took forever to heat up. Now, for some reason, it seems much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s all typical of most vehicles. If you don’t like that try driving any 90s Civic. Those little critters had such anemic defrosters that I’ve seen times when I couldn’t keep up with it with a scraper going continuously while driving.
Most you’re freezing problems are from using the chief windshield washing fluid. Get the winter mix and you’ll find it won’t freeze unless it’s completely buried in a block of ice.
Consider also using your windshield wipers on an icy windshield is a bad idea anyways most of the time unless the glass is completely clear of ice. It only takes a few passes over the rough icy spots to put tiny rips in the wiper blades rubber and then the streak forever after. It also can lead to burning out the wiper motor unhooking the drive arm’s from their sockets or stripping the splines on the shaft. The son in law stripped one on his tundra last year. It cost a ridiculous $50 for a new arm. It’s a good reason to lift them up when parked long term.
If you really set on having your window squirters mounted on the wiper arm it’s not all that hard to change. You just need the little blocks that mount in the arm with a squirter in it and the length of hose to splice in the your original line . That sort of thing is going to be a Rube Goldberg rig though and likely you’re not going to find anything original like that so how it fits will be a challenge. Probably best left as is and just use the winter fluid...........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a 91 Civic and even in the rare central Florida cold snap driving was a hazard. Good advice on the fluid.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts