Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just got my Venza!
Venza
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm surprised I haven't seen any thread regarding installing winter tires and rims for the new Siennas... If I missed it, I'm sorry (I did look for one!).

Anyway, here's my situation: I have a XLE, which comes with 235/55 R18. I was really looking forward to getting a set of alloys and Toyo's GO2+ sized 235/60 R17. After crunching some numbers I decided to go with steel rims instead. The generic black steelies.

One of the calls I made to a Toyota dealer (just to compare prices), I was warned that steels don't fit the 2011 Sienna due to the massive break calipers. They researched and found only alloys that would fit. I specifically asked about the Rav4 5-spoke steelies, and the answer was that they won't fit either.

That really caught my attention, so I went to Costco and got a set of steelies for Cdn$46.99 each rim (plus 13% tax) and another set at Canadian Tire for $64.99 each rim (plus tax). I hoisted the Sienna on my driveway and sure enough, both sets pressed against the break. Definitely not enough clearance.

So, let me throw this out there. Has anybody had any experience already or acquired info on this? Is it possible that we're all stuck with having to buy alloys? I love the looks, but I'm looking at about 33% more cost (at least).

Cheers!
V

·
Registered
141 Posts
rav4 steel will fit......at least the canadian ones do. do the same thing, buy 1 rav4 steel wheel and test fit it.....

·
Registered
2011 Sienna
69 Posts
I just went with tirerack's recommended setup - alloys plus Blizzaks. Certainly a bit more than going the steel wheel route, but I plan on having this van as my weekend ski-trip ride for the next 10 years, so for the extra couple hundred bucks, I'm getting a nicer look. I have the snows on 5 months out of the year. It wound up being on the order of $1300 for 4 wheels, tires, TPMS, plus the TPMS registration tool, so that I don't have to go to the dealer to have the codes redone whenever I change the wheels.

I hate TPMS - a complete waste for anyone who actually checks their own tire pressure regularly...

·
Registered
2011 SIENNA SE
50 Posts
I have a SE, can I toss Venza 20" rims on my car with winter tires? what type should I get?
For a winter set-up, I wouldn't use the Venza wheels since the tires are going to be more expensive. More likely the 20in wheels you will have to put a 40 or 45 series tires, low profile and snow performance tires don't go together. If you want a decent looking wheel for the winter set-up just pick a set of the LE model ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went with tirerack's recommended setup - alloys plus Blizzaks. Certainly a bit more than going the steel wheel route, but I plan on having this van as my weekend ski-trip ride for the next 10 years, so for the extra couple hundred bucks, I'm getting a nicer look. I have the snows on 5 months out of the year. It wound up being on the order of $1300 for 4 wheels, tires, TPMS, plus the TPMS registration tool, so that I don't have to go to the dealer to have the codes redone whenever I change the wheels.

I hate TPMS - a complete waste for anyone who actually checks their own tire pressure regularly...
Looks like the same setup I want to go with. Which alloys did you pick?

·
Registered
2011 Sienna
69 Posts
Looks like the same setup I want to go with. Which alloys did you pick?
I got the Elbrus I04, a little diff't from the ones they recommend, still relatively cheap though. I haven't actually taken the cardboard off to see how they look yet, so can't say how they actually look. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts