Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would probably buy soon a canadian Highlander Hybrid Limited 2021. I wonder if it is possible to downsize the tires/wheels for the Winter. Do you now if it could be donwsized to 17" instead of 18" ? If yes which tire size is recommanded ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 FiST, 2020 Highlander Limited
7 Posts
Hello,

I would probably buy soon a canadian Highlander Hybrid Limited 2021. I wonder if it is possible to downsize the tires/wheels for the Winter. Do you now if it could be donwsized to 17" instead of 18" ? If yes which tire size is recommanded ?

Thanks.
You could try to figure out fitments but I'm pretty sure 18s are as small as you can go without running into clearance issues.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
6,876 Posts
HL did run 17's years ago, but no idea what changed over the years clearance and suspension wise.
Or they could have been changing them just to follow marketing trends. The rim isn't really the issue if the offsets are the same, it's the tire size.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could try to figure out fitments but I'm pretty sure 18s are as small as you can go without running into clearance issues.
Thanks. That's all the question and I ask to know if someone tried already or got a reliable info.

·
Registered
333 Posts
To pay a better price and get better handling in snow and bad condition roads. I've always donwnsized my winter wheels and tires for all my cars.
The benefits (price and handling) will be marginal at best considering the possible clearance issue as one poster mentioned.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid (CDN)
413 Posts
I have downsized to 18" with black steelies for cheaper tires and more rubber. Do not want to damage my 20" wheels. We get nasty winters that are hard on nice wheels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you want to stick with 20 inch another option is to buy some nicer 20 inch wheels, swap your tires over and use the stock wheels for new winter tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your replies guys ! Seems that 18" winter tires with new wheels is the best solution. What about TPMS ? Is that a problem to get some extras for the new wheels and get it recognized by the car computer ? Is that expensive ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
TPMS
You shouldn't have any problem getting TPMS sensors but if you worry too much just get a complete winter wheels and tires with TPMS sensors package from one vendor and save yourself the hassle

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have downsized to 18" with black steelies for cheaper tires and more rubber. Do not want to damage my 20" wheels. We get nasty winters that are hard on nice wheels.
What tire size did you get for your 18" rims? Was the overall wheel diameter the same as the 20" 235/55 ?

If the wheel diameter are even slightly different, do we need to have dealer adjust so that the car electronics will recognize the speed difference?

·
Registered
413 Posts
What tire size did you get for your 18" rims? Was the overall wheel diameter the same as the 20" 235/55 ?

If the wheel diameter are even slightly different, do we need to have dealer adjust so that the car electronics will recognize the speed difference?
You use the same tire that is on the XLE trim. P235/65/R18. For greater certainty and some options see below.

Stock the Platinum and Limited use P235/55/R20's. They are 30.2" diameter, 9.3" wide.
If you want a wider tire for the winter (so you don't curb or scrape your nice 20" rims), use P255/55/R20. They are 30" diameter (slightly smaller by 0.2" or just over 3/16"), but they are 10" wide. A user by the name of Pimpin-tl has them on his new highlander 2020 Platinum. No fitment issues. Thread below for that info.

Stock XLE use P235/65/R18's. They are 30" diameter, 9.3" wide.
If you want a wider tire for the winter (so you don't curb or scrape your nice 18" rims), use P255/60/R18. They are 30" diameter, but they are 10" wide. You will not have any fitment issues.

Full disclosure. Some places might not "warranty" the tire since the P255/55/R20 and P255/60/R18 tire options likely will not show up as the OEM tire selection choice at tire shops. Different rules depending where you go and between different tire manufacturers.

I have P255/60/R18's on black steelies with extra TPMS sensors but I have not mounted them yet so I have no pics. Costco will mount them for me on Nov 15th. Hopefully no snow before then lol. I want the 10" wide tire because I just know my significant other will scrape the crap out of them come winter. Curb them in drive throughs etc etc

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
224 Posts
To pay a better price and get better handling in snow and bad condition roads. I've always donwnsized my winter wheels and tires for all my cars.
What? You don't get any better handing is smaller tires on your vehicle. Use whatever is recommended by the manufacture as their vehicles sensor are configured to size of your wheels. Being an ex Nissan person I have heard Nissan folk that went from 18's to 20's having to get their system recalibrated as it would affect the speedometer. I am sure it's no different is most other vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
224 Posts
TPMS
You shouldn't have any problem getting TPMS sensors but if you worry too much just get a complete winter wheels and tires with TPMS sensors package from one vendor and save yourself the hassle
I haven't checked with the shop I normally get my winters from, Active Green and Ross, but I did check with Costco and was told they couldn't get the TPMS because the ones on my 2020 were available to them yet. Just like the Steelie's they couldn't get. I know steelies are available because my dealership sells the snows with the steelies.

·
Registered
413 Posts
What? You don't get any better handing is smaller tires on your vehicle. Use whatever is recommended by the manufacture as their vehicles sensor are configured to size of your wheels. Being an ex Nissan person I have heard Nissan folk that went from 18's to 20's having to get their system recalibrated as it would affect the speedometer. I am sure it's no different is most other vehicles.
You get a better softer ride and cheaper tires. 18vs20 wheels doesn’t matter. The overall diameter of the tire matters. That is what affects the speedometer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't checked with the shop I normally get my winters from, Active Green and Ross, but I did check with Costco and was told they couldn't get the TPMS because the ones on my 2020 were available to them yet. Just like the Steelie's they couldn't get. I know steelies are available because my dealership sells the snows with the steelies.
Toyota dealers in Canada will match Costco's prices so see what they can do for you. I got my steelies online in August (18x7.5 36 offset 60.1 HB) and most of the Canadian online stores I did my research have sold out on that size.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts