Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for winter tires and rims for my XRS. Dealer said that 15's or even 16's might not fit over calipers (unbelievable that they cant tell me for sure!). Has anyone actually mounted a set of 15's or 16's on their XRS? I would like to keep the cost down and use a smaller rim, is this possible. Also can anyone tell me what tire size I can get away with, it came with 215/45's, can I put more rubber on??

Thanks,

Martin
'09 XRS

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
Looking for winter tires and rims for my XRS. Dealer said that 15's or even 16's might not fit over calipers (unbelievable that they cant tell me for sure!). Has anyone actually mounted a set of 15's or 16's on their XRS? I would like to keep the cost down and use a smaller rim, is this possible. Also can anyone tell me what tire size I can get away with, it came with 215/45's, can I put more rubber on??

Thanks,

Martin
'09 XRS
16's will fit no problem. the calipers on the front are the same size as the 1.8L models... and the rear are not any bigger. So 16's and even 15s will fit on your '09 XRS... I am getting 16" steelies installed monday with winters.

No worry. Your dealer is just trying to sell you more expensive crap you don't need

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well here a story for you, I was looking for 16inch rim for my corolla 09 and I tryed to get them from canadian tire and other tire and rim spots, the only place I had a good chance with is My toyota dealer, and they even got it worng so I am not sure about the 16inchs, and they know what car I have and that is the 09 XRS, So I now have to go back there and hope they will take back my rims

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
The front brakes on the Corolla XRS are the same as the other Corolla models, and the rears are slightly smaller. Anything 15" or larger will fit on all Corolla models.

On the 2009 Matrix however, the 2.4L models do have larger brakes and cannot go any smaller than 16", both the front and rear brakes will not clear 15" wheels.

On brand new models in the first winter they are out, knowledge isn't always out there. Dealers don't necessarily know what will fit until they test fit the wheels themselves. Don't be hard on them because they've never tried to put 15" wheels on an XRS before... well.. not TOO hard, haha.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Guys - I put 16" Winter aluminum rims on my XRS yesterday and it's a beautiful fit. I have a friend who works in a Canadian Tire store so he set me up and made sure everything was a perfect fit. He's well known by the tire manufacturers as being very knowledgeable - they sometimes come to him for advice!!

Anyways I put on these yesterday with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's in 205/55R16 (94V) and they look pretty good. Not my first choice but they're cheap and darker than my stock rims so won't show the winter crud so much. Went with a V rated tire to keep the car from feeling spongy-like. Had some Q-rated tires on my 05 XRS winters and they were very-spongy - found out that it was because I dropped more than 1-speed rating.

The ride is very good. Actually feels better than my stock tires. No road noise. Responsive handling. Yet softer ride. Can't ask for more.

To be honest, the dealer will tell you that you the party-line that you should put 17" winters on. That's Corporate saying replace like-with-like. Reality is you can get away with an inch (or two in some cases).

16"s are fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found someone selling 16in steel rims on Craigslist. They are originally for a 2001 Camry LE The Bolt pattern 5-114 and the offset is 40mm. Is it possible it would fit on my XRS??

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
No, Corollas are 5x100, not 5x114.3.

Jeff

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,035 Posts
I just put 16" Steels & Mich X-Ice on my XRS yesterday. They are Toyota Steels and installed by dealer. Got a great deal, so I couldn't resist.

So yes... 16" Steels will fit, and they look alright too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got my 16in 5-100 on finally, after the dealship messed up and gave me the S model rims for my XRS.

ANYWAYS, there look funny off the start cause they are so small and a HAVE my 17in on the back as of right now.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,187 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking for winter tires now for my XRS. If I went down to 16 or 15, what tire size would be needed?
If you use a 15" wheel use a 195/65R15 tire. If you use a 16" wheel use a 205/55R16 tire. I myself have a 17" wheel and I have 205/50R17 winter tires. In the rest of the year I have 225/45R17 tires. The OEM 215/45R17 size is actually a little small.

·
Registered
93 Posts
me i dont want to bother swapping tires so i use one that will do it all. for the last year i had 205/55r16 toyo celcius but frankly i think theyre garbage so after 8k mile i put them in the trash and just last week got some nokian wr g4 to try. already i like the nokian alot better

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,187 Posts
me i dont want to bother swapping tires so i use one that will do it all. for the last year i had 205/55r16 toyo celcius but frankly i think theyre garbage so after 8k mile i put them in the trash and just last week got some nokian wr g4 to try. already i like the nokian alot better
No single tire will deliver winter performance and traction that a winter tire can. If you live in a warmer climate I can see doing that but for those that live in places that get snow and the weather is cold there is no substitute for a good winter tire. I have mine mounted on different wheels so it's just a quick change in the garage. I run a UHP tire for the other 3 seasons. On cars that I don't have winter tires I just don't drive them in the snow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
2009 XRS, 205/55/16 Toyo Observe GSI-5 winter tires on steel rims. Pic taken last weekend when I did the annual changeover.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No single tire will deliver winter performance and traction that a winter tire can. If you live in a warmer climate I can see doing that but for those that live in places that get snow and the weather is cold there is no substitute for a good winter tire. I have mine mounted on different wheels so it's just a quick change in the garage. I run a UHP tire for the other 3 seasons. On cars that I don't have winter tires I just don't drive them in the snow.
i dont want the hassle of swapping tires and wheels or the added storage clutter or the extra cost of buying 4 more tires and wheels, mounting and balancing fees. the list goes on and on. my car is awd so the wr g4 should be a great year round choice. for fwd, full on winter tires really help. but thats the bueuty of awd, i dont feel a full winter tire is necesarry. while not a full winter tire, wr g4 should be very capable in those conditions, especially on awd vehicle. plus they have much better water evacuation than alot of full winter tires. to each their own though

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,187 Posts
i dont want the hassle of swapping tires and wheels or the added storage clutter or the extra cost of buying 4 more tires and wheels, mounting and balancing fees. the list goes on and on. my car is awd so the wr g4 should be a great year round choice. for fwd, full on winter tires really help. but thats the bueuty of awd, i dont feel a full winter tire is necesarry. while not a full winter tire, wr g4 should be very capable in those conditions, especially on awd vehicle. plus they have much better water evacuation than alot of full winter tires. to each their own though
It just depends on where you live. If you get several months of snow a winter tire option is the best option. Don't make the mistake that I see a lot of people that own an AWD make. The AWD only helps with traction to get going, it does nothing to help with steering and stopping. Every winter I see numerous AWD cars in accidents that couldn't stop in time or steer due to a lack of traction. One accident will be more expensive than a single accident.

Also, remember that using winter tires you won't be putting miles on your 3 season tires so the cost for tires isn't a lot different as your regular tires will last longer. Luckily they don't take up much space to store since you can stack them. You can actually order them from Tire Rack all mounted and balanced and they don't even charge to do that. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts