Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey TYN! Been a while since my last post as I haven't done much to my 98 camry since a few gauge cluster bulb swaps and a wax. Anyways, I want to get on the winter tire subject early this year and have them in the garage and ready to go for the Minnesota snowy season. My question is mainly about tire size. I have the 14" alloy wheels (195/70R14 tire size) which, by the way, terribly limits my options when it comes to any and all tires. I was wondering how much leeway I have with these wheels and what tires they will accommodate? Specifically can I put a 185/70R14 on these wheels? .....Lookin at some General Altimax Arctics by the way:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,071 Posts
tire width is smaller with the 185's and overall ride height will be a bit lower also.

I know you are in the US but currently using Canadian Tire' Nordic Ice (Store brand, made by BF Goodrich) so your local automotive store may have these.
I previously had BF Goodrich winter slaloms before and at that time Goodyear Ultragrip is available in that size but the BFG's had a rebate.

Michelin x ice should come in that size bit I find them expensive.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I kno, it's balls hot in St. Cloud right now lol! .....so then the 185 tires will work just fine i take it? Yea ive looked at the X-Ice's too but for the price and the fact that tire rack rates them lower for snow than the General's they don't seem worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
this can help http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

in my (stupid) state they passed a law making it illegal to replace tires with anything but the OEM tire size AND friggin speed rating! I can't find anything with the original S rating (or is it T?) Anyway be sure you can have someone install the oddball size you are looking at.

Speedo will be a little off at 185/70R14 but theres a FS Winterforce at 185/75R14 thats a little closer

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I was looking at the Winterforces and some Dunlop Graspic DS3's before last season, but i've been turned on to the Altimax Arctics simply because of the dramatically better performance, reviews and not to mention prices are consistently lower! :D

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've purchased winter tires over the summer. Usually get the 'leftovers' or 'discontinueds' from the previous winter roughly 1/2 price off.

Stick with the stock sized Graspix or Wintahfarces. I wasn't impressed with the AltimacksRticks enough to go wrong tire size searching. If you go short, you'll be plowing too much snow with your undercarriage. The Camry needs a lift kit ;-)

Another option is to use different sized rims, like 15" for different tire options in 205/65/15 or 195/65/15.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've purchased winter tires over the summer. Usually get the 'leftovers' or 'discontinueds' from the previous winter roughly 1/2 price off.

Stick with the stock sized Graspix or Wintahfarces. I wasn't impressed with the AltimacksRticks enough to go wrong tire size searching. If you go short, you'll be plowing too much snow with your undercarriage. The Camry needs a lift kit ;-)

Another option is to use different sized rims, like 15" for different tire options in 205/65/15 or 195/65/15.
Yea I hear what you're saying about losing some ride height, but I have a hard time believing that the difference of 1/4" of clearance is really going to make a difference and be the major selling point. That's just not enough to really worry about IMHO.

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Camry V6
519 Posts
I have a set of Firestone Winterforce Tires that I usually put on in late November thru late March, they are an incredible snow tire that has gotten me thru the worst of winter here in the North East! This will be my 4th season with them comming up! One of the best investments for this car!

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,891 Posts
i run 195/70R14 during the summer but use 185/75R14 for my winter tires. i think having them skinnier helps greatly to cur through the snow. the "75" height proportion bring the overall diameter to stock size.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i run 195/70R14 during the summer but use 185/75R14 for my winter tires. i think having them skinnier helps greatly to cur through the snow. the "75" height proportion bring the overall diameter to stock size.
Yea that's kind of my thought too....I almost prefer the idea of a slightly narrower tread width on a snow tire to really cut down as low as possible in whatever I get to slag through up here. I see slush and hard pack eat up people with big fat tires more often than you might think lol!

·
Registered
159 Posts
You won't be sorry with the Generals, they're awesome. I got them put on last november and sadly, they're still on my car but I've been rotating every time i change the oil. Just bought new quick struts all around which i need to install also.

part time summer job + college student = broke lol

·
Banned
60 Posts
Skinney tires help you in the snow but went in melts then you are stuck with less traction. I personally don't think the trade off is worth in. When I switch from summers to winter tires I always end up locking up the snow tires in normal traffic...Not a good situation.

As far as brands go with Blizaks (however they are spelled). Best snow tire there is on the market right now and they are nice and cheap. You can wait and get a 50 dollar rebate depending on which internet shop you buy from too.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Skinney tires help you in the snow but went in melts then you are stuck with less traction. I personally don't think the trade off is worth in. When I switch from summers to winter tires I always end up locking up the snow tires in normal traffic...Not a good situation.

As far as brands go with Blizaks (however they are spelled). Best snow tire there is on the market right now and they are nice and cheap. You can wait and get a 50 dollar rebate depending on which internet shop you buy from too.
Yea blizzaks are ok, but they dont make them in a 14" tire -_- which is the only reason im considering the different size to expand my options. In my experience 185 isn't all that narrow, esp for a good winter tire when you want dedicated grip on ice and snow and good, but maybe not the best, performance on dry.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,891 Posts
i dont think i skinny snow tires have much of a traction loss when the pavement is dry. yes, they are slightly narrower, but the rubber they are made of is much softer in colder temperatures than all seasons so they should grip better.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont think i skinny snow tires have much of a traction loss when the pavement is dry. yes, they are slightly narrower, but the rubber they are made of is much softer in colder temperatures than all seasons so they should grip better.
My thoughts exactly! Never had any grip issues on the 195's I've had for the past 3 years and I dot see 10mm changing that too much on a winter tire.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Problem with going to a lower profile tire is that you will throw off your speedometer (not a big deal), odometer (kinda a thingy if you ever want to sell the car), and will put extra mileage on your engine and transmission.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I run all-seasons on my camrys, seem to hold up really good in the winter. If it gets really bad, I throw on a couple studded tires on the front i have stored in my shop
Unfortunately for me, Quebec has a law that requires all cars as of the 15th of December to have snow tires installed till March 15th. :( I used to get away with just throwing a pair of winters on the front.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts