Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year where I have to start shopping around for winter tires. Thankfully this weekend I managed to sell my old set of tires on the car I traded in when purchasing the Corolla. Managed to get $450 for the tires and rims as they were only used during the 2014 winter.

I've got the Corolla S with the stock 17" rims. I plan to drop down to 16", or even 15" rims if possible. I was told by the dealer that 15" would fit this specific car when I purchased it, but I have read on a few threads that 15" is pretty tight, but doable.

Our tire size choices seem to be as follows:

15" - 195/65R15
16" - 205/55R16
17" - 215/45R17

So fellow Corolla owners. I ask you, what size will you run for winter tires? Any recommendation on brands?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always gone with Bridgestone blizzaks, they perform really well and are one of the best brands. Also if you go to tirerack, you just fill in your car info and they show all the different winter tire brands and sizes that will fit your car. Then I like to check out the different brand reviews to see if any of the new ones look better.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta and Bridgestone Blizzak are always rated among the best, but wear faster and cost more.
I've had Michelin X-Ice (not the current generation) that were very comfortable and absolutely great on icy roads, but were allergic to snow as much as any 4 seasons tires...
I've had cheap Sempirit (SpeedGrip) that ended up almost as comfortable as the Michelin and last quite long. But those were great in snow, only OK on icy roads.
At the moment, I have Toyo Obserge Gsi5 that are kind of like our Corollas : reasonably priced, not the best in any category but also hard to fault in any situation... and just a tad noisy !
Basic line : ask yourself the most prevalent condition you will encounter Snow ? Slush ? Ice ? Icy compacted snow ? Winter tires are more specialized than one might think.
As far as wheel size, my LE Eco is already on 15' so no comment.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
It's that time of year where I have to start shopping around for winter tires. Thankfully this weekend I managed to sell my old set of tires on the car I traded in when purchasing the Corolla. Managed to get $450 for the tires and rims as they were only used during the 2014 winter.

I've got the Corolla S with the stock 17" rims. I plan to drop down to 16", or even 15" rims if possible. I was told by the dealer that 15" would fit this specific car when I purchased it, but I have read on a few threads that 15" is pretty tight, but doable.

15" - 195/65R15
16" - 205/55R16
17" - 215/45R17

So fellow Corolla owners. I ask you, what size will you run for winter tires? Any recommendation on brands?
I've got different types for different cars and my favorite by far is the Michelin Ice-X2/3. They are quiet,smooth and perform great. If you get a 17" though get the 205/50R17. It's the same diameter as the 195/65R15 & 205/55R16 and being narrower will work better in snow & ice. :wink:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MY previous winter tires were Toyo Observe Gsi-5 which I just sold. These same tires are being recommended by my local mechanic again, but I never looked into tires myself.

TireRack.com seems to be a good source for information at least for me. With the drop of the Canadian Dollar, the incentive of buying from the US (and even getting it shipped to a US Store just across the border) is lost.

Consumer Reports ranks Michelin X-Ice at the top of the list with an overall rating of 70 whereas the Toyo Observe Gsi-5 is 20th of 21 tires on the list with an overall rating of 54. The major criticism for the Toyo is poor braking in dry and wet conditions and poor handling. Noise is also rated poorly.

Granted, no winter tire seems to be rated well in those categories, but Michelin X-Ice are rated better in those categories. The price points listed by Consumer Reports has Toyo at $113 and Michelin at $116.

As for winter conditions. Being in the Nations Capital of the Great White North, we can see pretty much anything on any given day, multiple conditions within the same day even from heavy snow, to slush, compact snow and ice. It's a crapshoot really as to what you'll experience even during your morning commute. I may need tires for traction in deep snow to get out of my driveway, until I make my way to the major roads. After that the roads can either be clear and wet, or packed snow and slush until I get to the highway.

Ahh, isn't great living in a winter wonderland? Uhhg.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is part of the reason I bought the Corolla S base. I'm using the stock 16 inch steelies for my winter tires; Gislaved Nordfrost 5 - 205 55 16 from my old car. These are the best tires I've used so far.

(The 17 inch OEM rims are nice but since I also have my old 17 inch Potenzas from my old car I bought new 17 inch aftermarket rims.)

Back to topic - My wife's Fit has Hankook iPike W409. They've been a solid tire, haven't gotten stuck and road noise is minimal.

My parent's car have Michelin X-Ice II. Bought them used off Kijiji and they have given them 2 solid years of hassle free service so far.

I have also used the Canadian Tire Goodyear Nordics (previous version). Any winter tire is better than an All Season but don't think these tires are crap. These tires plow through snow and are competent on ice. They do tend to wander in deep snow at high speeds but in winter driving you should be using both hands anyway. 0:)

FYI....All approved snow tires have the Mountain/Snowflake symbol http://www.tracanada.ca/wintertirevideos/whatyoushouldknow.html

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Consumer Reports ranks Michelin X-Ice at the top of the list with an overall rating of 70 whereas the Toyo Observe Gsi-5 is 20th of 21 tires on the list with an overall rating of 54. The major criticism for the Toyo is poor braking in dry and wet conditions and poor handling. Noise is also rated poorly.
Granted, no winter tire seems to be rated well in those categories, but Michelin X-Ice are rated better in those categories. The price points listed by Consumer Reports has Toyo at $113 and Michelin at $116.
Just to make your choice harder, APA rate both as "very good", respectively 3th and 5th out of about 30... Funny enough, their review is more positive in french than in english, where they take Consumer reports in account .:search:
http://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp
http://www.apa.ca/pneus_hiver_2015-16.asp

·
Registered
801 Posts

15" - 195/65R15
16" - 205/55R16
17" - 215/45R17

Hi, non regarding tire mark. In fact smaler ar the width of tire, bether it will be. If you tire or wider the weight of the car will not be enough to keep contact with the road. Minning thet your vehicule will float on snow, compare to aquaplaning.

Wath tire to choose? Depend of the utility. In the city a good ice tire is the best, ass in the cuntry a snow tire with stud will be better. Bridgston Blizzac, Micheli X-Ice Xi3, yokohama, Nokian Hakkapeliitta ore some of the best winter tire you could get. Bridgston Blizzak WS 80 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 or R2 is the most top ratting.

Hop this help
Sincerly your

·
Registered
283 Posts
General Altimax Arctic. Best rated snow tire around and cheap too. Made in Germany.

185/65r15 are direct size replacements for 215/45r17.

I don't know why they quote 195/65/15. Its not the seme diamter as the 17s.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
General Altimax Arctic. Best rated snow tire around and cheap too. Made in Germany.

They quote the 195/65R15 because it's the correct size for a 15" wheel. The problem is that the 215/45R17 tire is too small a diameter.

195/65R15 25.0" diameter
205/55R16 24.9" diameter
215/45R17 24.5" diameter is too small
205/50R17 25.0" diameter

The 185/65R15 is too small too. It's the proper size for a 9th gen Corolla but not the 10th/11th gen.

·
Registered
801 Posts
They quote the 195/65R15 because it's the correct size for a 15" wheel. The problem is that the 215/45R17 tire is too small a diameter.

195/65R15 25.0" diameter
205/55R16 24.9" diameter
215/45R17 24.5" diameter is too small
205/50R17 25.0" diameter

The 185/65R15 is too small too. It's the proper size for a 9th gen Corolla but not the 10th/11th gen.
10th Corolla hase sold on 15" and 16"
10th Corolla sold with 16" and 17" but 15" still fit.

Non regarding tire mark. In fact smaler ar the width of tire, bether it will be. If you tire or wider the weight of the car will not be enough to keep contact with the road. Minning thet your vehicule will float on snow, compare to aquaplaning.

·
Registered
801 Posts

Tis is the original size
195/65R15
205/55R16
215/45R17
185/65r15 could fit even if it not the oem size.

even is 185/65r15 is not the oem sise it will fit to.

with 185/65r15 at 90 mph = 89.6 mph
195/65r15 at 90 mph = 91.5 mph

Just use this Tire Size Comparisons to se the diferance.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

General Altimax Arctic, have only a good reat it is not the best tire.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Tis is the original size
195/65R15
205/55R16
215/45R17
185/65r15 could fit even if it not the oem size.

even is 185/65r15 is not the oem sise it will fit to.

with 185/65r15 at 90 mph = 89.6 mph
195/65r15 at 90 mph = 91.5 mph

Just use this Tire Size Comparisons to se the diferance.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

General Altimax Arctic, have only a good reat it is not the best tire.

Tirerack recently tested them and they performed very well. I find it weird that the oem tire sizes are not all the same diameter. I just know the 185s were 15 dollars cheaper than the 195s and fit the S perfectly. :)

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
It isn't too small seeing it is a direct replacement for the factory's 215/45r17 on the 2015 Corolla S. 185/65r15 tires are cheaper too!
That's the whole point! Toyota made the same mistake on the 10th gen and didn't correct it on the 11th gen. They should have used a 205/50R17 or 225/45R17 to correct the diameter error. Most everyone does this when they replace their 215/45R17 OEM tires and it also helps correct some of the speedometer error too. The few dollars difference per tire really isn't that big of a deal. :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm here to confirm that 195/65r15 fits perfectly well on a 2015 S model (Canadian).

If you can find ~2009-2013 15" wheel for cheap you'll have a perfect fit with no worries.
I'm using my 2 years old winter tire from my 2009 CE (trade-in car) on 2009 wheels.

Hope that help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks andreq!

I plan to purchase new rims & tires and was leaning towards 15" wheels but I had seem some posts in other threads that suggested 15" were possible but "tight".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks andreq!

I plan to purchase new rims & tires and was leaning towards 15" wheels but I had seem some posts in other threads that suggested 15" were possible but "tight".
I drove 100km with the 15" and no problem so far.
I didn't see any "tight" spot when we installed them.
The LE ship with 15" right? Apart from the rear wheel disk, it's mostly the same body/frame.

I'll post a followup if I see any problem later in this winter.

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
I have a set of 16s form an older Corolla I bought on eBay from a Toyota dealer. They had clear coat issues and were only $100 shipped for all four! I have them being powder coated gloss black right now. I would have gone with 15" steels, but these were cheaper than I could find steels for.

Skinny is better in snow and ice.

I would like to go with 195 60 16. They make the Michelin IceX in that size, but I think those General Arctic Altimax look difficult to beat. There is a tire rack test on them with some great video footage.

The Generals do not come in 195 so I am going with 205 /55 /16.

My car is a 2015 S with the 215/45/17

1 - 20 of 56 Posts