Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I drove 100km with the 15" and no problem so far.
I didn't see any "tight" spot when we installed them.
The LE ship with 15" right? Apart from the rear wheel disk, it's mostly the same body/frame.

I'll post a followup if I see any problem later in this winter.
I think the tightness comes from the disc brakes vs. drums. Nobody said they didn't fit, but rather simply didn't like how little gap there was between the rims and the brake calipers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the tightness comes from the disc brakes vs. drums. Nobody said they didn't fit, but rather simply didn't like how little gap there was between the rims and the brake calipers.
Yeah, I guess I find it "ok". I know little about car mechanic, but my "buddy" and I looked at it and it seem plenty.

Hopefully I won't have any trouble in the long run. I'll see the "damage" next summer I guess :S.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a set of 16s form an older Corolla I bought on eBay from a Toyota dealer. They had clear coat issues and were only $100 shipped for all four! I have them being powder coated gloss black right now. I would have gone with 15" steels, but these were cheaper than I could find steels for.

Skinny is better in snow and ice.

I would like to go with 195 60 16. They make the Michelin IceX in that size, but I think those General Arctic Altimax look difficult to beat. There is a tire rack test on them with some great video footage.

The Generals do not come in 195 so I am going with 205 /55 /16.

My car is a 2015 S with the 215/45/17
The generals come in 195/65/15 for sure. But if you have an S, as I said before, 185/65/15s are direct replacements for the 215/45/17 and they are cheaper as well.

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
The generals come in 195/65/15 for sure. But if you have an S, as I said before, 185/65/15s are direct replacements for the 215/45/17 and they are cheaper as well.

My snow wheels are 10th gen 16s"

I think the 205 55 is what I need the 205 60 are a bit too tall.

I wish they had 185 or 195 in 16.

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
I wound up ordering the taller General Articmax, 205/60/16. These are almost an inch taller than stock and should probably make my speedo be spot on. I cannot see where they would cause a rub issue and the taller sidewall and 16s should offer more protection from the winter potholes that pop up here.

Wal-Mart had a great price on them and no shipping. $12.00 per tire for mounting and lifetime balance. I printed that out and took it to a national chain that specializes in tires and they matched the price. Tax, shop supplies, mounting out the door for less than $400. I just put a deposit down, he said call back and pay for them on Black Friday, he said one of the tires might be free! He was not certain but said they have crazy deals that day.

I left my wheels there, it was going to take them a week or so to get the tires in.

Since I am not going to put TPMS sensors in my winter tires they said they can mount the tires, but they cannot put them on my car. Federal law. LOL. Oh well.

I need to buy an impact and be able to do them myself anyway. 21mm socket I assume.

I do not have a big enough air compressor and I do not like the idea of batteries (my diesel pick up has 32 big lugs and I do not think a single charge would remove and install 32 lugs) Does anyone have a recommendation on a corded electric impact wrench? I will only use it a few times a year, but I would like to buy one that will last 20 years.

I have a big floor jack, are the lift points obvious or are you supposed to use the edge of the body like on a bunch of newer cars?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,327 Posts
I have a set of 16s form an older Corolla I bought on eBay from a Toyota dealer. They had clear coat issues and were only $100 shipped for all four! I have them being powder coated gloss black right now. I would have gone with 15" steels, but these were cheaper than I could find steels for.

Skinny is better in snow and ice.

I would like to go with 195 60 16. They make the Michelin IceX in that size, but I think those General Arctic Altimax look difficult to beat. There is a tire rack test on them with some great video footage.

The Generals do not come in 195 so I am going with 205 /55 /16.

My car is a 2015 S with the 215/45/17
This is why I use a 205/50R17 as I like the look of the 17" wheels a lot more but I keep the narrower 205 width compared to my 225/45R17 summer tires. I've used the Michelin IceX2/3 and have loved how well they perform and are very quiet too! :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wound up ordering the taller General Articmax, 205/60/16. These are almost an inch taller than stock and should probably make my speedo be spot on. I cannot see where they would cause a rub issue and the taller sidewall and 16s should offer more protection from the winter potholes that pop up here.

Wal-Mart had a great price on them and no shipping. $12.00 per tire for mounting and lifetime balance. I printed that out and took it to a national chain that specializes in tires and they matched the price. Tax, shop supplies, mounting out the door for less than $400. I just put a deposit down, he said call back and pay for them on Black Friday, he said one of the tires might be free! He was not certain but said they have crazy deals that day.

I left my wheels there, it was going to take them a week or so to get the tires in.

Since I am not going to put TPMS sensors in my winter tires they said they can mount the tires, but they cannot put them on my car. Federal law. LOL. Oh well.

I need to buy an impact and be able to do them myself anyway. 21mm socket I assume.

I do not have a big enough air compressor and I do not like the idea of batteries (my diesel pick up has 32 big lugs and I do not think a single charge would remove and install 32 lugs) Does anyone have a recommendation on a corded electric impact wrench? I will only use it a few times a year, but I would like to buy one that will last 20 years.

I have a big floor jack, are the lift points obvious or are you supposed to use the edge of the body like on a bunch of newer cars?
No! You need the 205 55 16. They are the right size and the same as the 195 65 15. Using the 60 series throws things off by over 3%.

Its the 17s ONLY that are the wrong size. I have no idea why you are changing the size seeing you are actually taking a correct speedo and screwing it up.

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
No! You need the 205 55 16. They are the right size and the same as the 195 65 15. Using the 60 series throws things off by over 3%.

Its the 17s ONLY that are the wrong size. I have no idea why you are changing the size seeing you are actually taking a correct speedo and screwing it up.

It will be fine. I will probably go with 225/45/17 when the stock (and horrible) firestones give up the ghost.

My speedo is off a few MPH according to my GPS anyhow. The taller 60 series show +4MPH at 90MPH that should make the 205/60 almost exactly perfect.

Besides most people show the 205 60 mounted on a 6" wheel. I am putting it on a 7.5" wheel with the beads being pulled out an extra 1.5" the tire height will shrink in size.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It will be fine. I will probably go with 225/45/17 when the stock (and horrible) firestones give up the ghost.

My speedo is off a few MPH according to my GPS anyhow. The taller 60 series show +4MPH at 90MPH that should make the 205/60 almost exactly perfect.

Besides most people show the 205 60 mounted on a 6" wheel. I am putting it on a 7.5" wheel with the beads being pulled out an extra 1.5" the tire height will shrink in size.

GPS is not an accurate measure of speed regardless. Your difference is now close to 5%. With no difference in price, there is no benefit from fitting a incorrect tire size.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Back to my original post. I am dropping down to the 15" rims/tires for the winter. My mechanic recommended Toyo Gsi 5's which are also the same tires I had my my previous car. Taking advantage of their aggressive promotion and buying rims and tires at their cost. Apparently they've pissed off a number of tire retailers with this promo. But they are not a primary tire shop, it is a NAPA garage and the promotion isn't being advertised in any way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
$123.46 per tire plus a $4.75 government fee per tire and taxes.

All in all, I paid $1,109.49 (after 15% tax) for oil lube and filter, new winter tires and rims, installed and balanced, and new lug nuts to better fit the winter rims vs the stock ones that came with the alloy wheels.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
$123.46 per tire plus a $4.75 government fee per tire and taxes.
Sorry, but that was no promotion. My 15's were 700 with new rims and taxes.
Neither the deal of the century (your seller is exaggerating...) nor such a bad deal.
About what I paid for a couple of years ago. They go online for sightly less but generally with some delivery fees.
$700 still means something around $175 per tire, with wheel and taxes. Not knowing from where (tax level, US or CDN $), it's hard to compare.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
But what brand? Saying your new tires were $700 isn't much of a comparison if they are one of the cheaper brands. Also are you in Canada or the US? That too makes a significant difference.

The cost of tires and rims together, without including the cost of installing and balancing is $767.84 before tax. Now add in installation, balancing, Ontario Stewardship Fee and 15% taxes, and the wheels cost and I'm at $996.80.

I think the difference is while I got a decent deal on the tires themselves, I paid extra for installation and balancing, where in looking at some other quotes I received online from local tire shops, their price per tire included installation and balancing. So it's all pretty much a wash in the end.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am in Ontario and I had General Altimax Arctics installed which were on sale for $81 a piece. Someone saying that $125 a tire for 15s is a deal is taking you for a ride. All said and done with wheels I was out the door for $710 everything included. 15 inch snow tires should not cost around a $1000. It pays to shop around folks. Tire installers are overpricing snow tires knowing a lot of people one stop shop and don't look around.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am in Ontario and I had General Altimax Arctics installed which were on sale for $81 a piece. Someone saying that $125 a tire for 15s is a deal is taking you for a ride. All said and done with wheels I was out the door for $710 everything included. 15 inch snow tires should not cost around a $1000. It pays to shop around folks. Tire installers are overpricing snow tires knowing a lot of people one stop shop and don't look around.
Yes, if you compare just price, you got the better deal. But one has to take into account the performance of the tires in association to the price to determine value. And then the cost between the two may also be a sign of the difference each manufacturer spends in research and development.

Toyo Observe GSi - Very Good
General Altimac Arctics - Good

http://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp

In the end, I'm no expert on tires, so I rely on the information I get from my mechanic and online. In the time I owned my Caliber I used two different sets of winter tires. I can't recall the brand of the first set installed by the local Dodge Dealer the first winter I had it, but they sucked... BAD. The second set of winters were Toyo Observe GSi's, and they performed very well, so it just made sense to stick with a brand that I have a previous good experience with.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's fine. I can understand sticking with a tire you have experience in. I just find lately that people are spending way more than required for winter rubber.

Also get reviews from more than one source in addition to prices.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I had a number of estimates and various reviews. I had 3 tires I was looking at, Toyo, Michelin and one other brand I can't think of right now, but all three were top rated tires. No matter of the three I was looking at just over $1,000 for winter tires and rims.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts