Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am in Ontario and I had General Altimax Arctics installed which were on sale for $81 a piece. Someone saying that $125 a tire for 15s is a deal is taking you for a ride. All said and done with wheels I was out the door for $710 everything included. 15 inch snow tires should not cost around a $1000. It pays to shop around folks. Tire installers are overpricing snow tires knowing a lot of people one stop shop and don't look around.
Not everybody is shopping strictly for price. Otherwise everybody would buy some chinese Maxtrek for 60 bucks. Or a Mitsubishi Mirage for a car : it get the job done so why pay thousands more for a Corolla ! Why ? Because needs are different.

General Altimax Artics are good tires nonetheless, designed primarily for snowy roads. At $81 yours were a great deal (they usually are more around $100 - though according to your total cost you paid more than the tires worth for wheels, installation and fees, so it's kind of a wash). Others are designed more for icy roads, or both snow and ice. Do they worth the $30/$40 price difference per tire for someone who need those characteristics ? Absolutely!

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
http://s175.photobucket.com/user/SCQTT/media/Corolla2015_zpsqvhlnfgr.jpg.html

Mounted my wheels & tires today.

The powder coat job came out excellent. super shiny without a flaw.

OE Toyota 10th Gen 16" bought from a dealer for $100 delivered.

$200 to sandblast and powder coat black.

205/60X16 General Articmax $79.00 each (Wal-Mart price, matched by big tire store)

$400, all in for tires tax, fees, mounting lifetime balance & rotation.

$50 deposit to order the tires (they did not have them in stock)

Employee said they would have some crazy Black Friday deal and told me to call back and pay the balance that day.

- $75 Rebate!

So I have $625 in everything.

Tires fit perfect. Supposed to be about 10nn narrower than stock and 1" taller. They wound up being a little less taller mounted, but are still taller. Much taller sidewall because of the 16" wheel. It looks like a tractor now, but should be better with winter potholes that the 17s.

In the dry they are a little more noisy, but I expected them to be worse. I thought they would feel "softer" but they are still very firm over pavement irregularities, really feel no different that the 17s. Turning is not as crisp as the Firestones, but I expected that. It is not like this is a sports car and the OE Firestones really suck.

It will be nice to keep the OE wheels nice, the winter road salt eats the clear coat in a season or two.

I like the black, now I have to decide if I want to get the "summer" 17s powder coated all black.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,327 Posts
http://s175.photobucket.com/user/SCQTT/media/Corolla2015_zpsqvhlnfgr.jpg.html

Mounted my wheels & tires today.

The powder coat job came out excellent. super shiny without a flaw.

OE Toyota 10th Gen 16" bought from a dealer for $100 delivered.

$200 to sandblast and powder coat black.

205/60X16 General Articmax $79.00 each (Wal-Mart price, matched by big tire store)

$400, all in for tires tax, fees, mounting lifetime balance & rotation.

$50 deposit to order the tires (they did not have them in stock)

Employee said they would have some crazy Black Friday deal and told me to call back and pay the balance that day.

- $75 Rebate!

So I have $625 in everything.

Tires fit perfect. Supposed to be about 10nn narrower than stock and 1" taller. They wound up being a little less taller mounted, but are still taller. Much taller sidewall because of the 16" wheel. It looks like a tractor now, but should be better with winter potholes that the 17s.

In the dry they are a little more noisy, but I expected them to be worse. I thought they would feel "softer" but they are still very firm over pavement irregularities, really feel no different that the 17s. Turning is not as crisp as the Firestones, but I expected that. It is not like this is a sports car and the OE Firestones really suck.

It will be nice to keep the OE wheels nice, the winter road salt eats the clear coat in a season or two.

I like the black, now I have to decide if I want to get the "summer" 17s powder coated all black.
Those tires look huge! I just ordered a new set of Michelin X-Ice 3's in a 205/50R17. I just can't stand the look of 15" or 16" wheels on my Corolla S. !6" wheels looks okay on my 07 Corolla but not my 09.

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
Those tires look huge! I just ordered a new set of Michelin X-Ice 3's in a 205/50R17. I just can't stand the look of 15" or 16" wheels on my Corolla S. !6" wheels looks okay on my 07 Corolla but not my 09.

I agree. I do not care. I live in the middle of nowhere and the winter potholes are huge. I bent two OE 17s on my 13 the first year I had it.

This will work fine.

I have other stuff in the garage for fun and "driving in anger." This is my winter beater and my summer rain car.

I will probably put 225/45/17 on the stock 17s for this summer, I HATE the stock Firestones.

Now I just have to decide if I want to leave them with the machined silver or have them powder coated all black.

·
Zwei Kolben
172 Posts
In other news I drove the car tonight after some heavy rain. The road was wet, but there were no raindrops hitting the car causing extra noise. They are really noisy on wet roads. I'm sure it is all those little sipes really moving the water out from under the tires. Can't wait to try them on a slushy road.....actually I would rather have zero snow this year.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,327 Posts
In other news I drove the car tonight after some heavy rain. The road was wet, but there were no raindrops hitting the car causing extra noise. They are really noisy on wet roads. I'm sure it is all those little sipes really moving the water out from under the tires. Can't wait to try them on a slushy road.....actually I would rather have zero snow this year.
If you want no snow move south! :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought Michelin Xi3’s in 195/65/15’s for $80.00 a tire for my 2017 Corolla SE. I bought new 15” steel wheels for them.
They fit perfect. Slightly taller than stock 215/45/17’s (almost dead nuts speedo accuracy) and ride so beautiful. Did a 20 mile road test, and took them back off until first week of December. I try to stay away from anything lower than a 60 aspect ratio for winter. Tall and narrow digs through snow better by putting more PSI of the vehicles weight to the ground.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,327 Posts
Just bought Michelin Xi3’s in 195/65/15’s for $80.00 a tire for my 2017 Corolla SE. I bought new 15” steel wheels for them.
They fit perfect. Slightly taller than stock 215/45/17’s (almost dead nuts speedo accuracy) and ride so beautiful. Did a 20 mile road test, and took them back off until first week of December. I try to stay away from anything lower than a 60 aspect ratio for winter. Tall and narrow digs through snow better by putting more PSI of the vehicles weight to the ground.
That's because the OEM 215/45R17 tires are too small of a diameter. This is why most people replace the OEM 215/45R17 tires with 205/50R17 or 225/45R17 tires as they are the proper diameter like the 195/65R15 size.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not on a Corolla, but I've run many dedicated Ice & Snow tires on my Subarus since 1996 here in the Poconos. The 330K mile '99 Subaru Legacy ran Blizzacks, XIce, Firestone Winterforce, Nokians, Mastercrafts, & General Altimax Arctic. The best performing on Ice & snow were the Blizzacks, but a little 'squishy' in feel, noisy in rain, fair in dry braking & wear quickly. The Generals are about 90% of the Blizzacks on ice and equal or better in snow. They track nicely, are good in rain, fairly quiet for a snow, and about 70% the cost. The Blizzacks usually made 2 winters for me, the Generals I've run 3 seasons + the last summer when the tread was shallow for snow use. That car ran 20-25K miles per year for the 16 years we drove it as the DD. Now using Generals on the '14 Crosstrek & Hankook DynaPro ATM's on my Highlander.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wound up ordering the taller General Articmax, 205/60/16. These are almost an inch taller than stock and should probably make my speedo be spot on. I cannot see where they would cause a rub issue and the taller sidewall and 16s should offer more protection from the winter potholes that pop up here.

Wal-Mart had a great price on them and no shipping. $12.00 per tire for mounting and lifetime balance. I printed that out and took it to a national chain that specializes in tires and they matched the price. Tax, shop supplies, mounting out the door for less than $400. I just put a deposit down, he said call back and pay for them on Black Friday, he said one of the tires might be free! He was not certain but said they have crazy deals that day.

I left my wheels there, it was going to take them a week or so to get the tires in.

Since I am not going to put TPMS sensors in my winter tires they said they can mount the tires, but they cannot put them on my car. Federal law. LOL. Oh well.

I need to buy an impact and be able to do them myself anyway. 21mm socket I assume.

I do not have a big enough air compressor and I do not like the idea of batteries (my diesel pick up has 32 big lugs and I do not think a single charge would remove and install 32 lugs) Does anyone have a recommendation on a corded electric impact wrench? I will only use it a few times a year, but I would like to buy one that will last 20 years.

I have a big floor jack, are the lift points obvious or are you supposed to use the edge of the body like on a bunch of newer cars?
Just be a man and do it by hand. Torque specs are 76 ft pounds and re torque after 100 miles. If you use an impact and over torque, the calipers will dig into the rotors and cause you issues ;)

41 - 56 of 56 Posts