Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats good?

I heard of Kumho KH19......... but I can't find any feedback from actual users online.

How are Kumho's winter tires... and what else is good?

·
Registered
764 Posts
ive got toyos observe
we'll see how they fare, but im confident they'll be good

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
i'd have to say that the money is worth it, those tires are worth their weight in gold when you're driving through a snow storm

·
Registered
445 Posts
Blizzaks arent that expensive and from what ive heard they are damn good. Not as good as the Artic Alpines, but the alpines cost a grip.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I've heard that the Blizzaks are GREAT... at first. However, they're a really soft compound, so it's not long at all before all you get is a all-season equivalent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 03 Corolla had Kumho I'zen Stud KW-11 on dedicated rims the last two winters. Performance is comparable to the Michelin Arctic Alpins on my minivan, and the price is right. Got them from Tire Depot on Doncaster in the GTA.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
repinS said:
I've heard that the Blizzaks are GREAT... at first. However, they're a really soft compound, so it's not long at all before all you get is a all-season equivalent.
True. I burned through a set years ago. I didn't buy them again, nor would I reccomend them. I don't drive my car in the winter anymore. However, my dad rode on Toyos last winter and had nothing but good things to say. Handled great with minimal noise.

I've got another set of Nokian Hakkas ready for my bro's car. I'll report back at a later date with impressions. If they live up to their reputation, I'm sure we won't be disappointed.

FYI- Steve's Tire is offering special deals right now on winter pkgs. :thumbup:

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
GoodYear Triple tread. Re-enforced sidewalls. I've got them on my car. And they never wear out either. 740 tread wear on them. Great for rain and snow, horrible for racing. But man were they worth the money.

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
3,058 Posts
I have Bridgestone Blizzaks. Bought them brand new because a friend recommended them to me. They are great tires in winter, they have very soft compound which is what you need to grip into snow.

Two problems with the tires.

1- VEry soft compound means they will wear out very very fast.
2- Only 50% of the tread is soft compound, the second 50% is a regular compound (Just like all-season).

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,267 Posts
I ride on Nokian Hakka's which are awesome and last forever. Those domestic brands do wear out like after 2 seasons because of the soft compound. I've heard great things about Toyo G02s and Kumho KW-11's were rated #1 in Consumer Reports.

Although the Alpin and Blizzaks are good tires, I'd stay away from them simply because they don't last long at all.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
IS300GGP said:
tread looks good for rain snow/slush... how are they on ice or packed snow?
Haven't tried them out yet. I just got them a month or two ago. So I'll tell you in a month or so ;)

But I have no doubts that these will handle great, I have already shredded up some sand parking lots and other loose surfaces. They held like nobodies business :)

·
Registered
Celica
49 Posts
I use studs. nothin better than steel spikes to get that extra grip when your driving on a 1/2 in. sheet of pure ice (what our roads look like in the winter.) but I can't imagine they'd be worse here than in canada.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts