Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I kept reading that it's better to get a set of 4 winter tires and so I wanted to get a set of 4 winter tires + wheels for my car. I tried to convince my dad to get a set of 4. But, my dad insisted on getting only 2 for the front since my car is FF. (I already had to convince him that winter tires would be a good idea since he didn't want me getting winter tires in the first place since he's been driving around without winter tires for a long time with no problems and thinks i shouldn't have problems either) Should I keep trying to convince him to get a set of 4? (If so, do you guys have any good arguements?) Or should I just go ahead with the set of 2 winters for the front and 2 all seasons on the back?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
But, my dad insisted on getting only 2 for the front since my car is FF.
hould I keep trying to convince him to get a set of 4? (If so, do you guys have any good arguements?) Or should I just go ahead with the set of 2 winters for the front and 2 all seasons on the back?
YEs you should try to convince him. Two wheels of different grip will make your car extremely dangerous to drive. On a FF, having the tail without proper grip will make the car very easy to spin, it'll pull loose, and the front wont help much anymore, since the weight of the car will overcome the grip easily. Even a FR would be safer driven like that, because with a FF, you dont have any control over the rear.
Having grippy tires in the back will make it less prone for spinning, but will be more prone into plowing off the road, not good either. Take 4 or use the bus. :rolleyes:

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Ever see those vids of stoopid kids putting McD's trys under their rear wheels to compromise rear traction? Notice what happens? ;) It's an extreme example but illustrates how it affects the handling of the car. I personally would not jeaprodize myself, my car and others on the road over $300.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kept telling him about how it would be easy to spin out with 2 and he just says that some shops even told him there is no need for 4 that to have 2 is just as good. My dad NEVER believes what I say until it comes out of someone HE thinks is reliable/trustable even thought I might be right >< He keeps saying all the people I get advice from is only trying to get me to spend more money :confused:

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Ever see those vids of stoopid kids putting McD's trys under their rear wheels to compromise rear traction? Notice what happens? It's an extreme example but illustrates how it affects the handling of the car.
Actually tahts even more controllable, because you have friction from the trays... theres no friction on ice or snow (well there is, but you get the point:p:)

kept telling him about how it would be easy to spin out with 2 and he just says that some shops even told him there is no need for 4 that to have 2 is just as good.
Yeah right, those stupid ass kids in shops should be beaten on the head with a stick. Seriously, thats the STUPIDEST advice a tireshop can give. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :mad: :thumbdown

Ask him if the amount saved from the two tires compared to the price of the car or price of your life is worth it? If he says yes, tell him to sign a paper stating that if you have a crash because of the tires, that he'd pay you a new car and all the expenses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts