Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Corolla currently has standard bracketed wiper blades. I would like to install some Rain X Quantum Wiper Blades which are bracket-less. Other than the obvious fact that one looks like one long large blade and one looks like a conventional wiper, what's the difference? Is there an advantage to one style over another considering that we are now heading into the warmer weather. Thank you in advance..........:grin:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Rain X Latitude are "cheaper" and still do a good job. The price tag for the Quantum's are :crap-emoticon:

I got the WeatherBeaters because there was a good sale on them. I liked them but the metal or the paint eventually started to deteriorate and look bad and make sound. I had Latitude's before that. Latitude's I have now are just as quiet as my old ones.

As far as I can tell from the RainX website, the only real difference is that the Quantum's have a blade life indicator thing... though honestly I think at that point you would know when they are going bad.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
My Corolla currently has standard bracketed wiper blades. I would like to install some Rain X Quantum Wiper Blades which are bracket-less. Other than the obvious fact that one looks like one long large blade and one looks like a conventional wiper, what's the difference? Is there an advantage to one style over another considering that we are now heading into the warmer weather. Thank you in advance..........:grin:
I always stay with the OEM blades. They work better and you can just get the rubber inserts and they last longer. I still have the original OEM wipers on my 09 Corolla S and 10 Prius, I've not had to replace the inserts yet since buying the cars new! :grin: Why try something different when it's more expensive and doesn't work as well or last as long.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm with SuperchargedMR2 on this. Though the original ones on my Corolla lasted "only" 4 years (harsh cold winters, hot summers and everything in between her). So far, $15 inserts form dealer look like they'll last and work as great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably overkill, however I like to change out my wipers at every oil change. Between the seasons changing and being exposed to chemicals from the environment, it certainly can't hurt to be overly cautious.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
I love the OEM wiper blades on the Corolla! They are designed very well and instead of changing the entire blade, you can just change the rubber inserts which last for a good amount of time too.

My 2011 5 speed came with cheap aftermarket blades when I bought it and the OEM Toyota blades cost $42 for the drivers side and $17 for the passenger side at the dealer. I was able to find an OEM drivers side blade from a 2010 Matrix at a junkyard and only paid $3 for it. All I need is a passenger side blade and a rubber insert for the drivers side blade and then I'll have proper OEM blades again.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,242 Posts
Probably overkill, however I like to change out my wipers at every oil change. Between the seasons changing and being exposed to chemicals from the environment, it certainly can't hurt to be overly cautious.
Won't hurt but just a waste of money. Change them when they start streaking. Mine last a long time because my car stay in the garage even though they do get used a lot living in the Pacific NW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that you typically get what you pay for. That being said, eBay has bracketless wipers for anywhere from $6.99/Pair with free shipping to $11.39/pair with free shipping, etc.....Has anybody ever tried these or similarly priced wipers? Thanks!

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
I know that you typically get what you pay for. That being said, eBay has bracketless wipers for anywhere from $6.99/Pair with free shipping to $11.39/pair with free shipping, etc.....Has anybody ever tried these or similarly priced wipers? Thanks!
I bought some NAPA beam wiper blades when I first got my 2011 Corolla for $12.99 CAD for both driver and passenger (they were on sale and I needed wiper blades on the same day since the ones that I got on my car were mismatched). They have performed okay but comparing them to the Toyota wiper blades on my other 2011 Corolla, the Toyota blades wipe much better. The NAPA blades do miss a spot on the bottom right of the windshield when it does rain hard though. Again, I'd stick with the Toyota blades.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
eBay has bracketless wipers for anywhere from $6.99/Pair with free shipping to $11.39/pair with free shipping, etc.....Has anybody ever tried these or similarly priced wipers? Thanks!
With just price, it's hard to identify what they might be. Since you get new ones at every oil change, I don’t think you risk much by testing them. They won’t have time to worn out unless they are very fast at it and if they are garbage from day one then you won’t have to live with them for long!

Again, I stick with OEM (actually Denso, I think) as they are the most efficient I’ve ever had (and I’ve had a lot) and remain such for a long time, which is both a bonus and some kind of tribute to their quality.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My experience with OE wipers for this car wasn't very good. There was constant chattering for months, didn't wipe water well either.
Here's the problem: you could go to any brand, and it may solve the issue, but have the same issue after you replace it with the same wiper type from the same brand after. It's hit or miss, even from the same brand. This is probably due to manufacturing. All I can say is try different wiper blades.

From what I've read, PIAA's Super Silicone is a good place to start. It's not a rubber/carbon compound like what part stores have to offer[Bosch/RainX], which means they should last you longer. It's also more expensive[which is why I didn't start with them]. So it's actually better for you to start there, get the more expensive option out of the way.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/96165-Vogue-Silicone-Wiper-Blade/dp/B00JA396BW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=piaa+silicone+wiper+blades+26&qid=1554854049&s=gateway&sr=8-5[/ame]

I've tried RainX Quantums and Latitudes, and they're hit or miss.

I've tried Bosch Icons and Excel+. It's the same story, but I did find the Icons lasted longer than Excel+ or anything RainX had to offer. It does require regular cleaning though. California's a dusty, polleny place to drive. I wipe it down maybe twice a month.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
you could go to any brand, and it may solve the issue, but have the same issue after you replace it with the same wiper type from the same brand after. It's hit or miss, even from the same brand. This is probably due to manufacturing.
True! When I replaced my OEM with new OEM, the one they sold me were garbage from day 1 of rain. Was a bit mad... but dealer immediately replace them free of charge and those are as good as the originals. Bad batch, bad storage, who knows.

·
5,922 Posts
RainX your windows and buy cheapest wipers you can find. Those are disposable items, "noodles", or bracketless, do not serve any longer or do better job, no point in spending $$ on them. If you RainX windhsield regularly, you will use wipers 3 times less. Even better off, buy refills and replace blades.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Though they are more expensive, I went with the PIAA super silicone blades. When they streak, I clay bar the window and clean the blades with denatured alcohol (can get at Home Depot or Lowes). So far, so good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After all is said and done, I left the Bosch Blades on as the Chinese knock-offs didn't even fit the car. I figure I will change the blades at the next oil change and upgrade to a high quality blade.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was just at my local dealership getting an update done and purchased the OEM wipers while I was there as I had Bosch or something or another (might have even been Rain-X) on there and they were absolute garbage from the beginning (I know not all have had that experience, that was just mine). The blades I was given do NOT have a replacement insert, it's my understanding that Toyota does not produce those blades anymore, the ones I bought were Toyota Sightlines. We've had a couple of rain storms since buying them and they've worked perfect so far, MUCH better than whatever brand I bought last.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,264 Posts
I was just at my local dealership getting an update done and purchased the OEM wipers while I was there as I had Bosch or something or another (might have even been Rain-X) on there and they were absolute garbage from the beginning (I know not all have had that experience, that was just mine). The blades I was given do NOT have a replacement insert, it's my understanding that Toyota does not produce those blades anymore, the ones I bought were Toyota Sightlines. We've had a couple of rain storms since buying them and they've worked perfect so far, MUCH better than whatever brand I bought last.
Toyota still makes and sells the refillable wiperblades. I bought a passenger side blade as well as a driver's side blade insert a few weeks ago for my 10th gen and they work perfectly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
SupremeCorolla451
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing