Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
ha!

I think I finally found what I am missing above the washer fluid tank in passenger fender :)

Remember this picture taken after replacing the whole front end bay wiring harness?

So ... I think I got all pieces of the puzzle in right places now, here they are:

a) there is an empty spot inside passenger fender that looks like some small device could be bolted in there (above washer fluid tank)

b) I have a free wiring harness connector reaching that area

c) all electrical devices on car are fully functional except one thing about factory alarm system ... alarm system works fine (security horn activates when needed), but there is no beep when locking/unlocking door with a remote

d) found this diagram showing factory Wireless Door Lock Buzzer (for alarm)

e) found this thread on Solaraguy.com:
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47353&hilit=keyless+entry
where someone posted this:
TLMNICK said:
02slera said:
bump PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE THE BEEP COMES FROM i know alot of you guys are mechanics... whats up with this keyless entry?
The little "beeper" is located inside the passenger fender right by the windshield washer reservoir.
all thanks to input of guys participating in my thread over there, link here:
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50697&p=594350

... so seems like last thing I need is the alarm Door Lock Buzzer and the last unplugged connector will find its home ;)
ordering soon.

Toyota Part 89747-51010
OEM Toyota BUZZER, WIRELESS DOOR LOCK

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Very interesting info, just read this and went to the garage and begin to remove the fender, but it was too cold and didn't feel like removing the tire.

The Door Lock Receiver for you Solara is pn# 89741-AC020, that is the same part number for my Avalon but...I don't have the buzzer/chiper in my car. Same pn# for the transmitter also. I am going to look for that harness connector for the buzzer and buy one if there is. Do you have a 3rd horn behind the strut mount?

edit: Is the receiver located inside the car, or outside?
edit: different parts number for the receivers, my mistake.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Very interesting info, just read this and went to the garage and begin to remove the fender, but it was too cold and didn't feel like removing the tire.

The Door Lock Receiver for you Solara is pn# 89741-AC020, that is the same part number for my Avalon but...I don't have the buzzer/chiper in my car. Same pn# for the transmitter also. I am going to look for that harness connector for the buzzer and buy one if there is. Do you have a 3rd horn behind the strut mount?

edit: Is the receiver located inside the car, or outside?
edit: different parts number for the receivers, my mistake.
yes, i do have the 3rd horn installed on '02 Solara (it carries only factory alarm systems, no dealer options for 02-03 solaras) behind the passenger side strut mount (near DLC1 diagnostics connector). OEM catalog calls it a "Security Horn". this is the one that goes off when alarm is activated (e.g. Panic Mode).

check toyodiy.com listing if the factory had the part number for Wireless Door Lock Buzzer - just search for "wireless" after selecting car (e.g. by VIN is best).

I have just checked the Toyota TSB on security systems from 1990 up to 2008 and they list this for your '99 Avy:
a) Dealer installed: RS3000 (the same one I've got on '00 Solara SE)
b) Factory Installed: TSB – AX005–99 (same reference I have on '02 Solara SLE)

Check which remote you have and you will be able to tell which alarm system is uses, drawings are in TSB (Fig.4 or Fig.9).

this is the TSB, very handy!
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-09-05_214254_98_toyota.pdf

EDIT:
I hope you meant removing the fender liner and not the fender (not needed at all, besides it would be hard as wiring harness and ABS unit is clipped/bolted to it). but yeah, you would need to jack it up, remove the wheel and unbolt the fender liner in several places to be able to peel it off enough to see.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I have the Fig.9 remote, but the isn't a buzzer part number for my Avalon. I was hoping there will be a harness connector for the buzzer like you do.

The horn connector goes down into the fender, so I am thinking the receiver should be also. And yes I meant the fender lining.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I have the Fig.9 remote, but the isn't a buzzer part number for my Avalon. I was hoping there will be a harness connector for the buzzer like you do.

The horn connector goes down into the fender, so I am thinking the receiver should be also. And yes I meant the fender lining.
you must have exact alarm system as my '02 solara. however it's strange that it doesn't include the buzzer, and yeah yours uses a different receiver... interesting if your wiring harness has the connector for it or not.

unlike the dealer alarm system (using extra wiring harnesses), the factory alarm system's wiring is integrated with car's wiring harness, so if your Avalon's wiring harness doesn't have the plug for buzzer then there is not much you can do about. ... unless you find the ECU and its connector pinout for it and run your own wiring and buzzer :)

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
you must have exact alarm system as my '02 solara. however it's strange that it doesn't include the buzzer, and yeah yours uses a different receiver... interesting if your wiring harness has the connector for it or not.

unlike the dealer alarm system (using extra wiring harnesses), the factory alarm system's wiring is integrated with car's wiring harness, so if your Avalon's wiring harness doesn't have the plug for buzzer then there is not much you can do about. ... unless you find the ECU and its connector pinout for it and run your own wiring and buzzer :)
Does your alarm system do a distinct BEEP BEEP on unlock like newer Toyotas?

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Does your alarm system do a distinct BEEP BEEP on unlock like newer Toyotas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaHLXNE6yJM
mine doesn't beep at all on 02' solara and that's the problem hehe :)
not sure how it would sound if buzzer worked (or was present LOL) ;)
it would be a factory sound, so possibly close to that sound in video maybe? idk ... yet :)
besides that it's pretty much same.

my '00 solara uses a Dealer installed (not factory installed) Toyota VIP RS3000 which sounds completely different and beeps much louder.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

look about the compatibility list of my buzzer part number on toyotapartszone.com:
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~buzzer~wireless~door~lock~89747-51010.html

it includes Avalon 1999.08-2002.06; 6cyl 3.0L; XLS; ; ;
you might get lucky :)

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
oh! new dealer online. just noticed that toyotapartszone.com recommends another site for East Coast:
www.toyotapartseast.com

they seem even cheaper by a few % than toyotapartszone (and my formerly best toyotapartsoutlet.com not anymore).

still waiting for a quote from Gary (Toyopartsman) ...

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Just checked my local dealer and they have it for $57.98.:thumbsup:
huh! you've got a cool dealer... I don't even call my local one as they usually offer MSRP pricing (would be at $80) ... I use them only to get some single gaskets or single bolts (this pisses them off, I like when they get angry haha).

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Yeah, the prices are cheap, but their customer service isn't the best. My favorite dealership is Courtesy Nissan, I go there for parts and taking the Quest and Xterra in for service. Their Parts and Service Department is simply amazing. My Mom's Quest had the check engine like come on 15k out of warranty, they completely covered the 1k+ bill and gave us a free rental. Same situation with the Xterra, the service advisor gave his employee discount which knocked 2 bills off price. The parts guy even took his time to come out to the car and verify the correct part I was looking for.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
So I took off the fender lining and found 3 possible connectors by the windshield washer tank. Now I need to find out which is for the buzzer.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
my connector looks like in pic above (posted earlier) and wire colors were (IIRC) red-green and white-black.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
I can't really tell from your pic, but it seems you have a male connector?
sorry I can't remember. It seemed like a female type though, but I can't remember if inside socket were male prongs or female terminals.
that picture is not best, can't see that either now.

let me check later, I may be able to fish this plug out through opening in fender under hood by ABS pump and take another look.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
So I tested the connector for voltage which I pressed the unlock/lock buttons, no voltage. Going to remove the other fender liner and see If I can find anything.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
make sure your alarm is not set in quiet mode (beep disabled).

81 - 100 of 108 Posts