Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tundra Double
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Platinum hybrid, having trouble with wireless cell phone charger. It discharges the phone, rather than charges it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 Tundra Double
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actively discharges, For instance, device will be at ten percent when placed on the charger, short time later, zero percent.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What's the status of the indicator light? Does it turn from green to yellow/orange when you place your phone on the charger?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to rule it out, do you have a case on your phone? I only did a quick test on it with my case off and it worked. I don't really plan on using it since I need to wire it to use Android Auto

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup. Case off. Phone just gets hot and battery seems to drain faster than if it wasn't on there.

Just to rule it out, do you have a case on your phone? I only did a quick test on it with my case off and it worked. I don't really plan on using it since I need to wire it to use Android Auto

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've used wireless charger in my2021 HiHy a few times. Iphone 11, without the case. Charging is nonexistent or barely noticeable, e.g. 1-5% over 2-3 hrs while in charging cradle.

A wireless battery charger cannot discharge a battery. I think what is being observed could be one of a couple of things:
1) the charger is not working - no electrical field is being produced, even though the charging light is on.
2) the charger output charging rate is significantly less than the battery that is being charged. For example, when the phone is on and 'idling' it may be consuming 1 watt of power. The charger may produce only 0.5 watts of power, so the rate of discharge of the phone is much more than what the charge can input. So the net result is that the phone battery is discharging - albeit a slower rate then if it wasn't connected to the charge, but a discharge none the less.

Having the phone in a case will adversely affect the charging efficiency, or completely inhibit charging - depends on case thickness and/or case material. Charging power at the phone drops off with distance between the phone and charger.

j

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used wireless charger in my2021 HiHy a few times. Iphone 11, without the case. Charging is nonexistent or barely noticeable, e.g. 1-5% over 2-3 hrs while in charging cradle.

A wireless battery charger cannot discharge a battery. I think what is being observed could be one of a couple of things:
1) the charger is not working - no electrical field is being produced, even though the charging light is on.
2) the charger output charging rate is significantly less than the battery that is being charged. For example, when the phone is on and 'idling' it may be consuming 1 watt of power. The charger may produce only 0.5 watts of power, so the rate of discharge of the phone is much more than what the charge can input. So the net result is that the phone battery is discharging - albeit a slower rate then if it wasn't connected to the charge, but a discharge none the less.

Having the phone in a case will adversely affect the charging efficiency, or completely inhibit charging - depends on case thickness and/or case material. Charging power at the phone drops off with distance between the phone and charger.

j
Well in my case, the battery actually drains faster when on the wireless charger. The phone gets hot so I am guessing because of the heat the battery drains faster? But the power of the charger is literally non-existent. I can't believe Toyota did not test this part for performance. I have asked my friends who own other models of Toyota and they all experience it too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The downfall of wireless charging, and its dirty little secret, is that in order to charge efficiently, the two coils (the one in the charger and the one in the phone) must be lined up perfectly together. The further misaligned they are, the more heat is generated rather than charging the battery - sometimes to the point of not charging. Apple solved this with their magsafe charger. They use magnets to line up their charger to their iphone perfectly so you don't have this problem.

The charging pad in the HiHy is pretty big. If you don't have a big phone then chances are you have a lot more room to get things misaligned. Honestly this is the biggest weakness of this technology IMHO. You have to get those coils lined up.

The charger in the HiHy is only a 5 Watt charger. Thats not enough to charge some of the newer, bigger phones out there. The latest Qi chargers on the market go up to 15 Watts. And one should note that, unfortunately, Chargers and devices that are labeled "Qi" compatible are not always compatible. The owner's manual states this and I have personally experienced this with Qi devices before I bought the HiHy.

The charger in the HiHy has a status light. It may indicate whats going on.

Green - its powered on and ready
Solid orange - its charging the device
Blinking orange continuously at 1 second intervals - something is wrong with the charger. See the dealer
Blinking orange 3 times repeatedly - you have something in between your phone and the charger (remove it) OR your coils aren't aligned as I mentioned above (try centering your phone on the pad)
Blinking orange 4 times - the charger is overheated (remove phone and let it cool down)

Read the section on the charger in the owners manual. It starts around page 385.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The downfall of wireless charging, and its dirty little secret, is that in order to charge efficiently, the two coils (the one in the charger and the one in the phone) must be lined up perfectly together. The further misaligned they are, the more heat is generated rather than charging the battery - sometimes to the point of not charging. Apple solved this with their magsafe charger. They use magnets to line up their charger to their iphone perfectly so you don't have this problem.

The charging pad in the HiHy is pretty big. If you don't have a big phone then chances are you have a lot more room to get things misaligned. Honestly this is the biggest weakness of this technology IMHO. You have to get those coils lined up.

The charger in the HiHy is only a 5 Watt charger. The latest Qi chargers on the market go up to 15 Watts. 5 Watts may not be enough for some of the latest phones. And one should note that, unfortunately, Chargers and devices that are labeled "Qi" compatible are not always compatible. The owner's manual states this and I have personally experienced this with Qi devices before I bought the HiHy.
This makes sense. Now that the wireless charger is useless, is there a way to neatly remove it so I get more space in the console?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honestly this is the biggest weakness of this technology IMHO. You have to get those coils lined up.
I'm not saying the end result is meeting expectations, but Toyota did think of that:

is there a way to neatly remove it so I get more space in the console?
Yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts