Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had ordered this wireless charger when i bought my 2019 HL SE couple of weeks back on a impulse buy. Surprised they never added wireless charging for HL on the refresh as the Avalon and Camry already had this feature for while now.
I am not affiliated to this product what so ever, just putting out a simple plug and play option mod for someone looking to have wireless charging, drop and go convenience. There are lots of wireless charging options available on the market, ones with built in cradle and a mod like the 3d printed arm mount that was designed by another HL owner here which makes mounting the cradle version cleaner.

I found that they sell versions of this charger on amazon which is on the high side as far as pricing, connections are not really plug and play require you to route and piggy back current fuses. I used a search on AliExpress and found more than one version, pricing up to $190 to as low as $55. Made the choice of the plug and play version which has the visible corner LED indicator, included 12v socket T harness which has its own 3 amp fuse and was one of the cheapest. Charger took 10 days to arrive after order was placed. Install took about 30 mins, plugs into the 12v socket/cigarette lighter.

Packaging came alittle beat up but unit was found ok.
IMG_2869.jpg IMG_2870.jpg IMG_2872.jpg

This version snaps into the original usb pass through opening just like the cap, and you can still snake in a usb into it and have it on the side.
IMG_2881.jpg IMG_2880.jpg

Installed and functioning. LED indicators, are blue when its on, turns white letting you know its charging and will turn red when you phone is fully charged
IMG_2882.jpg IMG_2890.JPG IMG_2889.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
690 Posts
I got magnetic wireless charger for the car, but I decided against using it.
instead I got usb-c charger which is way faster. because my phone has the screen on most of the time, navigation or music, the wireless charger would not push enough current to actually charge it.
good luck to those who want the wireless charging!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opted for wireless, I have a wireless CarPlay/android auto box installed in the oem radio. So the screen is never on. Everything done on the touch screen.

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
690 Posts
Glad it works for you. I had alpine ILX-107 with wireless carplay, but still used the iphone a lot to navigate between music apps.
right now I don't want to put back carplay because the OEM microphone sounds better than any alpine I used before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I opted for wireless, I have a wireless CarPlay/android auto box installed in the oem radio. So the screen is never on. Everything done on the touch screen.
Hi Crossthread, would you please let me know which Carplay/android auto box you're using with the oem radio? Thanks much!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Crossthread, would you please let me know which Carplay/android auto box you're using with the oem radio? Thanks much!!
The unit I’m using found them on eBay, it requires you to take apart the front portion of the radio to install a piggyback board. If you think it’s too involved then I would look at aftermarket HU, it’s fairly easy if you taken apart electronics before. 7B4C6F54-BB08-46A5-B4C8-59C846B10DFF.png
The board is to tap into the factory touch screen. Then there is two modules to install, the video interface, and the wireless CarPlay/android. One thing is it’s only wireless for CarPlay and not for android tho.
send me a private message if you would like me to provide the link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wheres the link to this wireless carplay auto box? How do you like it. I was gonna switch out my HU for an aftermarket that has wireless carplay but this gives me another option

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wheres the link to this wireless carplay auto box? How do you like it. I was gonna switch out my HU for an aftermarket that has wireless carplay but this gives me another option
Again even tho I’m not linked to the Ebay seller, I’m not going to post the link due to forum rules. If you interested, send me a message. What I like about the unit is the use of CarPlay, toggling through songs, playlist, Listening to text and replying via voice and the biggest thing is google maps or Apple Maps.

Now the downsides
Your using AUX
There is an annoying poping sound when you are already in AUX
Being in AUX as an outside unit your only controls are the touch screen which is not a big deal.
Since the unit swaps video feed from video interface you can’t see the visual sound level part of the OEM radio but sound/muting still work off steering controls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased the dual charger, still waiting for it to come in. Im hardwiring it into the fuse box
How did the dual charger end up working for you? Were you able to hard wire it? I just picked one up and I'm never too confident in how long these things from China will last for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How did the dual charger end up working for you? Were you able to hard wire it? I just picked one up and I'm never too confident in how long these things from China will last for.
It works quite well, i didnt end up hardwiring it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remembered when iPhone 10 first came out 3 years ago, I ordered wireless charging pads for it. But soon I think wireless charging is pretty useless in cars unless you are always doing long road trips. The speed of wireless charging is super slow comparing to wall charging. And every time you take your phone on and off the charging pad, it counts as one charging cycle for the battery, that will shortens the life of the battery.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The unit I’m using found them on eBay, it requires you to take apart the front portion of the radio to install a piggyback board. If you think it’s too involved then I would look at aftermarket HU, it’s fairly easy if you taken apart electronics before. View attachment 290245
The board is to tap into the factory touch screen. Then there is two modules to install, the video interface, and the wireless CarPlay/android. One thing is it’s only wireless for CarPlay and not for android tho.
send me a private message if you would like me to provide the link.
i'd like some more info on this please. How much did it cost you? Seems pretty simple to install once you have the radio apart?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts