Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. I just finished changing the valve cover gaskets on my 1mz and i ran into a few issues

my 1st problem is the wiring harness that supplies the rear fuel injectors. the plastic housing for all those wires crumbled to bits when i disassembled (sp?) it all. Ive wrapped it in a few layers of electrical tape, but im not confident it will hold up against the heat as it does sit on the valve cover. i know electrical tape can withstand 200F but i doubt it can withstand it continuously. especially during a traffic jam on a blistering las vegas summer day. any possible solutions?

was thinking about wrapping it in teflon tape also and putting a piece of plastic in there but im not sure what kind of plastic would sink the heat. abs maybe? silicone wraps maybe? not trying to spend more than 10 bucks on it tbh.

2nd problem, i pulled the spark plug out of the middle rear hole, (#3 cylinder?) it was all black. no oil on it tho (thankfully). the plug lead felt like sand paper whereas the other two were still clean. the other two spark plugs had normal wear. i have a p0171 code, the rear vcg was leaking a bit, not a lot tho so i figured thats what threw off the vacuum in there. i can take pictures if needed.

much thanks!

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
What year is your car?

Try the local parts store ... you might be able to use something called plastic loom. It is just a wire protective covering. It has a split along the axis so that it is easy to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want to use tape you need to go to an electrical supply store and ask for high heat tape. I use it all the time at work on infrared heaters that get up to 1100 degrees It a special fiberglass tape. a little pricey but it works.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Were you able to wrap the remains of the original plastic wiring covers, or did you need to wrap just the wires themselves? Any plastic will eventually deteriorate in this environment - including the wire-loom stuff, but electrical tape holding the original plastic covers should be OK for awhile, or until you need to disturb it again. My main concern would be any thin wrapping for just the wiring may wear through from vibration against metal. I've occasionally used heater-hose when I needed some extra thickness wiring protection.

Happy Motoring, Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year is your car?
'99, i thought about the plastic shroud you speak of, but the width of the harness and the gap between it and the cover wouldnt allow it. thanks tho. ended up putting a grip of etape on it, hopefully itll hold up

Were you able to wrap the remains of the original plastic wiring covers, or did you need to wrap just the wires themselves? Any plastic will eventually deteriorate in this environment - including the wire-loom stuff, but electrical tape holding the original plastic covers should be OK for awhile, or until you need to disturb it again. My main concern would be any thin wrapping for just the wiring may wear through from vibration against metal. I've occasionally used heater-hose when I needed some extra thickness wiring protection.

Happy Motoring, Mark
thanks mark, i was unable to wrap the remains because it crumbled into about a 1000 little pieces and fell into the undercarriage when i tried to pull the harness up off the cover. i put about 4-5 layers of electrical tape where the plastic once was. it is now temporary since i have to inspect a fuel injector in the near future.

That black plug indicates a rich mixture, I'm guessing a leaky injector if
each cylinder has its own injector (I don't know the engine).

Chuck
thanks chuck, 1mzfe is the motor. i agree it very well is a bad injector as i am still getting a lean code (p1071) from that bank even after replacing the maf sensor, replacing the etc etc etc etc. is the computer over correcting for the rich injector thus throwing the lean code? i am planning to swap the injectors in the near future so I can hear it click from the front bank and see if the code also bounces to the front. i dont have fuel trims as my scan tool is unavailable right now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.