Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know anything about electronics and wiring so I need some help. I want to hook up some interior neon to the car so it turns on and off with a switch. The neon came with the standard 12V plug thing, and I wanna cut that off and hook it up to somewhere behind the dash. What wire should I splice into and what will I need in terms of a switch? Also, will I need a fuse?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you can determine which lead went to center pin of cigarette lighter before cutting that plug off. That will be positive or supply line. (in case of polarity) The other wire will need to be grounded to a METAL dash support or frame.

You can get voltage from the battery if you want to run new wires, or tap into the clock constant +12volts as a low current source. YOU MUST USE A FUSE AT ANY SOURCE 5-7amps.

The switch is up to you, a lighted switch has a ground lead.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
There is a fuse already in the cigarette plug part, but you won't be able to use it without a fuse holder. If you want to put more than 1 neon in, like one on each side, you can just splice the wires together before hooking them up to the switch. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Well I have 3 neons that I will be plugging into an adapter. It's like three 12V plugs into one. Then I'll take that one, run it through a switch and try to splice into the clock. Will that be enough current?

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
I don't know how much current neons draw. But if your going to run a bunch of them your safer off using a relay.

What you need is a 12VDC spst or spdt relay (automotive relay).

This is how you wire it up:

87: constant +12V

87a: not used. 87a only exists on a spdt relay.

85: ground

86: trigger/switched source (clock, ignition, parking lights, etc..)

30: output to neons (positive)

Wire a fuse inline with pin 87 (constant +12V) on the relay.

Wire a switch (2 prong (spst) or 3 prong (spdt)) inline between the trigger wire and pin 86 on the relay. This will allow you to turn the neons on/off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts